What do you use for everyday eating dishes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you eat off of everyday, not just the kids?

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the same old corelle dishes that my grandmother had I've added to them occasionally as things break. I love them because they are lightweight and stack together into such a small space (I have a teeny galley style kitchen).

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 PM

We have Fiesta Ware. They're made in the US by unionized workers and are pretty. They were wedding gifts. I also like them because you can replace pieces if they break without having to chuck the set.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM

simple life stoneware in midnight black. made in the USA and it holds up well even to my kids and my tempermental dishwasher. I love it.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 PM

Corelle

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 PM

Thrift store eclectic china.

and Thystle
Old 03-29-2008, 09:18 PM

I have some stuff that I'm sure was made in China, got it from Bed Bath and Beyond for our wedding. I'm thinking of replacing it slowly with Fiesta Ware or something similar because I noticed small cracks all over the surface, and who knows if there is lead in there or not. I have not heard of Simple Life Stoneware before, I'll check them out too.

eta: Kaitnbugsmom, I'm not finding that when searching the net...do you have a link to their site maybe? Or where do you find their products?

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stillheart.gif

Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM

Longaberger pottery that my MIL gave us. She used to be a consultant. I emailed them, and they said it was all lead-free, fwiw.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 03-30-2008, 12:19 AM

Some nice heavy scraffitio-ed pottery. Half the set came from World Market and was $$, the other half came from Target and was cheap. They're the same design in two matching colors, so it works pretty well.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 AM

My grandma's corelle.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 AM

Fiestaware. Love it!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 AM

I have a several sets of olive green (several sizes) plates and bowls and a few sets of off-white plates I brought from Sur la Table and Williams-Sonoma several years back. They were made in Italy so I assume they are safe. :They are beautiful and hold up really well.

We also have some Japanese style bowls and Sushi sets that were made in....Japan. I need to do more research on their safety.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 AM

I have a whole set of cobalt blue glass dishes (no paint) my MIL bought them for me (at my request) several years ago out of a catalog, they are made in France and are a smaller size than standard plates & bowls (great for portion control!). We did add a set of 4 glass regular size bowls. If I can find these again I will order a backup set I love them so much, and they were only $40 for a service for 8. They have held up beautifully, I have yet to break a dish and they have been through our house fire (the cleaning company washed & cleaned them after the fire & gave them back) my dishwasher countless times and my 2 year old DD who loves to help unload the dishwasher, sharp knives & big plates first of course! Plus I'm clumsy!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:29 AM

Every Day Ware from Williams-Sonoma...it tested 0 for lead as opposed the what we were using before that which tested in the red! :

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM

I use Apilco porcelain dishes. I've not thought of whether they might contain lead! Off to do research . . .
Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM

we use fiestaware in our house.....us & the kids. we LOVE it!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 03-30-2008, 07:19 PM

We use some stuff from WalMart.

I'm really concerned about lead contamination now, though. Especially since we're going to TTC in a few months. Also, it seems so wasteful to just throw them out, right? I thought about getting a test kit but they seem to be so unreliable as to be worthless.

I really don't know why lead contamination didn't occur to me when I requested some functional dinnerware from WalMart for Christmas this year. But then, according to what I've read, the lead contamination is just as likely in more pricey brands. :

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:38 PM

corelle here too. we have some we got when Dh's great aunt went to an assisted living facility, and some my mom bought for us. it's just plain white.

we also have some ancient federalist iron stone, from sears and roebuck no idea if it's lead free, but it really isn't sold anywhere anymore.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM

I have a massive amount of Fiestaware. Every color imaginable. I love it, and it's made about an hour and a half from where I live! I can't imagine ever using anything else.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:56 PM

You guys that have Fiestaware...do you just mix and match the colors of plates and things? I love different colored things of the same nature, DH not so much...all of our plates are brown right now.

Just wondering if you have a rainbow of plate colors...sounds pretty to me!

Mama to a 5.5 yr old boy and a 2.5 yr old girl.  Expecting baby 3 (another girl!) late June

Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 PM

we have corelle too - it never breaks, can safely go in the oven and lasts forever.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post
You guys that have Fiestaware...do you just mix and match the colors of plates and things? I love different colored things of the same nature, DH not so much...all of our plates are brown right now.

I definitely have a rainbow of colors! I love it. I actually have 17 place-settings in 12 different colors! Plus some various bowls and latte mugs in different colors. I should take a pic of my cabinet and post it.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 AM

Multiple colors here too. We have 5 diferrent colors of plates so far, 5 or 6 different bowl in two styles, 2 platters. We even have the silverware.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach03 View Post

yep! we have 8 sets..... all different colors. it's very colorful!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a set of ceramic dishes from Ikea. :

We got them so we could stop using plastic dishes... lead contamination never occurred to me.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post
I should take a pic of my cabinet and post it.
You should, you should! I'd love to see it!

Thanks to all you guys who responded to my question I'm ready for some color, but it will take some convincing with DH. Boring Mr. Nuetral Man

Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM

When they were tiny, I sometimes used wooden plates. I also got some nice metal cups and mugs from www.novanaturals for my youngest when she was a baby that and I sometimes use for my 2 yr old nephew. Mostly I just use my dishes and glasswear as I don't like the feel of plastic plates or cups. I have a large set of Meridan dishes from Italy, and another set of pretty Wedgewood from England from thrifting.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I definitely have a rainbow of colors! I love it. I actually have 17 place-settings in 12 different colors! Plus some various bowls and latte mugs in different colors. I should take a pic of my cabinet and post it.
I love these colors. I always pick up what I can. I love the wonderful colors. Things don't have to be matchy-matchy, imo.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM

I totally forgot about our mugs!

Most of them are made in China. We never brought sets of mugs because we get them for random places (gift shops, work, etc) Ill check out fiestawear.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
WOW! 17 sets?! i don't have room in my tiny kitchen for that many, although i wish! i had the HARDEST time picking just 8 colors that i loved for my 8 sets! i would like to get more someday though.....they are SO durable that even my almost 9 and 11 year olds can't seem to be too hard on them.

i would love to see a picture though! we have the following colors: red, tangerine, yellow, turquoise, grass green, light blue, colbalt blue and plum. and we have a set of 4 of the "chili bowls" (not sure what they are called) in tangerine, a large oval platter in the grass green, and 2 larger serving bowls in red and colbalt blue. it certainly makes for a very pretty table!

User Tag List