Making the house smell nice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to use essential oils more to fragrance my house. My first question is about safety. Which EOs are safe to breathe in regularly (lavender?). And what methods are good for "spreading it around"? I've had zero luck with plug in diffusers. I find that they dry out after an hour.
My housecleaner uses Bona woodfloor cleaner which is unscented...I was wondering if it would be safe to add a few drops of EO directly into the cleaner.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and safety tips!

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM

I can't speak to the safety of eo's but that is fairly easy to get off the internet. I get mine from a place online that lists cautions for each one. I can't remember the name now, but just google "essential oils" and you'll find it easily.

I uses vinegar and water on my floors (when my housekeeper will agree to it) and put in some lavender and tea tree. That helps (but the vinegar still smells) though it does seem to disenfect the air. The house smells much better by the evening. I think you could easily put a few drops of your favorite into the floor cleaner.

I also have an old spray conditioner bottle that sprays a very fine mist and I keep it full of water with rosemary and lavendar oil added. I use it thoughout the house each day. It really kills odors and freshens the air. I even spray my clothes sometimes when they need freshening but not a wash. When I want a nice odor (like for company, etc.) I put a nice mix of eo's in little dishes and set them around for awhile. They put out a wonderful aroma.

One the best things for making the house smell good, too, are house plants. They clean the air like nothing else! I dont have too many because I have a brown thumb but my friends that have alot also have houses that smell nice. Natural and earthy, not perfumy.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM

I make my own version of 'Carpet Fresh'. I mix plain old baking soda with some peppermint EO. Let it sit for a day or two, so the EO really diffuses in the baking soda. Then sprinkle on your carpet and vacuum up. I usually let it sit about 15-20 min. before vacuuming.

Anyways, it makes the house smell nice.

You could also simmer a big pot of water on the stove and add some drops of your favorite EO or some orange peel, cinnamon sticks and clove. It makes the house smell really good.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM

I love fresh air, opening all the windows makes me so happy!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Simmering a pot of apples and cinnamon always works wonders!
You can get one of those steam diffusers and it puts puffs of EO steam into the air (they can be pricey) or you can use one of those special clay pots with a tealite under it (the upper part holds the EO and water)

I've never really heard that particular EO's are unsafe to breathe. I like cinnamon, clary sage, eucalyptus, peppermint (it does burn the nose a bit) vanilla, citrus oils.....etc.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 04-01-2008, 06:39 PM

I've never really used EO in the house that way, but in the winter, I always simmer cinnamon on the stove if I know someone is coming by, and in the summer, it is orange peels. It makes the house smell so good (which is hard to do with 5 people, 2 dogs, and three cats in a tiny space).
Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 AM

I really like Young Living Essential Oils. I diffuse their Purification oil in their diffuser whenever I think the house is getting stinky. The good thing is they are theraputic grade so you can take them internally as well as use them for regular aromatherapy-type stuff.

http://www.youngliving.us/

Diffuser: https://www.youngliving.org/rs_ord_i...ING_MODE=1&CC=

Purification: https://www.youngliving.org/rs_ord_i...ING_MODE=1&CC=

They also have oils you can diffuse in the winter (it's called R.C. I think) that help ward off all the germs floating around.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Old 04-05-2008, 11:52 AM

In a setting where they are going to be spread about in the air, like fragrancing a room, there aren´t any dangerous EOs as such. That said it is possible to become sensitised to some EOs if you use them everyday, ylang ylang is notable here, in that headaches caused by overuse are documented. You will also find that some EOs give you a personal reaction, e.g. I find that the more pungent spice oils such as clove, cinnamon and cardamom give me headaches quite quickly.

My advice would be to buy a few oils that you like and alternate, it would be uncommon for you to have reaction to citrus, floral or herb scents, so perhaps start there.

Please also remember that there are a lot of unqualified chinese whispers about EOs, a contraindication for topical use does not necessarily mean at it cannot be used in a diffusor, though you would be surprised how so many "experts" fail to differentiate.

HTH, Sadystar (clinical aromatherapist)
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!
I added some lavender EO to the bona floor cleaner and boiled a pot with a little lemongrass EO in it.
Also I put a cottonball with peppermint EO in the canister of my dyson while vaccuuming.
I am going to check out the young living oils and diffusers...
Thanks again.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was reading that eucalyptis can be dangerous for infants to breath in. It makes them stop breathing
I think Cedar in large quantities is not supposed to be good either, though I cannot remember why.

I love lavendar. Frankenscense is nice too.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
I was reading that eucalyptis can be dangerous for infants to breath in. It makes them stop breathing
I think Cedar in large quantities is not supposed to be good either, though I cannot remember why.
That made me run for the books.....! The only reference I can find to eucalyptus causing abnormal breathing concerns internal ingestion of the EO. Cedarwood is not considered toxic in any respect, do you have a reference for it?

I think it is worth bearing in mind, that most things will be toxic if you consume enough (even water), 4 drops in an oil burner in an open room (inhaling oil directly is different) is not gonna cause anyone to stop breathing, though as I said certain scents can cause headache in a few people and these reactions are often very personal...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a potpourri simmer pot, similar to this one, that I like. I fill the top with water and add a few drops of whatever I'm in the mood for (this week it's a lavender and geranium combo) and light a tea light underneath it. The tea light burns for around 5 hours and warms the EO/water enough to really smell nice.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Really? Maybe if they inhaled the EO alone, and aspirated it into their lungs...but if it is diffused in something, it should be ok. Infact, on Dr. Sears' website, he recommends adding eucalyptus EO to a humidifier/ vaporizer when your kids are congested. I've done this numerous times with no ill effects on any of my kids. The room smells like vapor-rub, but the kids breathe so much easier. It's worth it.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
I have a potpourri simmer pot, similar to this one, that I like. I fill the top with water and add a few drops of whatever I'm in the mood for (this week it's a lavender and geranium combo) and light a tea light underneath it. The tea light burns for around 5 hours and warms the EO/water enough to really smell nice.

does it make the whole house smell good or just one room?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 PM

I generally use EO for health purposes, not fragrance. However, our house has good air flow and you can usually smell whatever I've opened in our master bedroom or either bathroom throughout most of the house. If I were to use my burner, I am pretty sure it would fragrant the whole house. Same if I were to get a nice smelling simmer going in the kitchen. I think it is just the way our house is arranged.

In any case, I would try the dish method before buying a burner if you want to use EO. Otherwise, I'd recommend simmering something on the stove. Be sure to set a timer, so you don't accidentally leave it unattended.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 PM

There are some EOs that are contraindicated during pregnancy because they can cause uterine contractions, the two I can think of off the top of my head are Jasmine and Clary Sage.

We make our own EO air freshener here. I bought a reusable spray bottle (from Target for $1) and put 1/4 vinegar 3/4 water and a few drops of EO (I use either citrus or lavendar) and then spray it in every room. The vinegar is an odor neutralizer and the vinegar smell fades pretty fast but the EO smell stays.

If you can find a local frontier co-op you can get a good deal on EOs. My favorite brand is aura cacia, they sell it at most natural food stores and it is good quality.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbrunette View Post
does it make the whole house smell good or just one room?
I live in a split level house, with the kitchen, dining room and living room on the entry level. If I light it in the kitchen then it makes those 3 rooms smell nice (though stronger in the kitchen).

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

User Tag List