Why does our closet smell musty? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-05-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And what can I do about it?? It has hardwood floors and mostly hanging clothes. Shoes. DH and I have been sniffing around for weeks trying to determine where the odor is originating, but no luck. Is there something we can spray that would help? I was thinking maybe TTO mixed with water. Now I'm all paranoid and feel like all my clothes smell musty...

TIA,
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#2 of 8 Old 04-05-2008, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
hang a bundle of lavender in muslin in there ... or tuck a bowl of baking soda and lemon rinds in the corner and see if it improves ... you could also wash all the clothes, remove the shoes for a bit (and deordorize them while you're at it), and give it a good wash with soapy water with a splash of tea tree oil before putting everything back in

i bet it's the shoes ... you could tuck muslin packets of baking soda and tea tree oil in each one

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#3 of 8 Old 04-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use to live in a place with lots of humidity. For the closet I used a system that used some type of pellets. Maybe that's the issue.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#4 of 8 Old 04-05-2008, 09:13 PM

I had this happen before. I still have no idea what caused it...The smell didn't improve until I took all the clothes out and rewashed them, I used no detergent in case it was build up. I took the shoes outside and let them air. I put baking soda on the carpet and let it sit over night, then vacuumed it up the next day. I scrubbed down walls. I opened the doors to the closet and let them stay open day and night with the windows open in the room.

Looking back on it...I think it was build up in the clothes because now my bath towels are starting to smell musty...Maybe I should start using hot water?
#5 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 PM

Make sure clothes and shoes are completly dry before you put them away.
#6 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Though it goes against my general energy saving ideals, I have heard the suggestion of using an incandescent bulb in closets and leaving it on for a few hours a day. The heat will help to dry things out a bit. I think this was a tip from Martha Stewart.

Can you leave the closet door open, at least at times? This might help too.

Other than that - cedar, though I think it will just cover the smell (and keep out moths), but not address the problem.

The desiccant pellets are a good idea. My parents have those in their coat closet.
#7 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
.Maybe I should start using hot water?
I find that if I only ever do cold water washes, things do start to get slightly dingy and not so fresh, so I do occasional hot water washes.

Also, make sure things are drying pretty quickly. I line dry my clothes (inside, I'm in an apartment), but if it's really humid, it will take so long to dry that they'll end up musty so I use the dryer.
#8 of 8 Old 04-06-2008, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here's the type of product I used (not the exact brand)
http://www.spacesavers.com/keepitdry.html

I bought mine in the laundry section of Wal-Mart.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page