low-tech mosquito control - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any technique that works to control the mosquito population? I've been reading about the Mosquito Magnet, but most reviewers are saying that it only works for one year before breaking down.
Someone wrote a review saying that you can fill 5 gallon buckets with 3 gallons of water, put some dish soap in them and Wd-40, and that kills the larvae the mosquitos hatch, which controls the population. Would this work?
does anyone have any techniques that work?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM

We've had a mosquito magnet for several years now. We had one problem with it starting up, and the company was great about sending us the new part for free (I forget the details, it was a two years ago). There are always TONS of mosquitoes in the catch bag.

If you're looking to just keep your patio clear, you could use an outdoor fan to create a breeze across the area where you are sitting...
Old 04-10-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=anthasam;10971531]We've had a mosquito magnet for several years now. QUOTE]

So has it worked well for you in controlling the mosquitoes? Which model do you have?
I just dont' want to pay $300 for one and have it break in a year.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:05 PM

I'll have to get back to you on the model -- I do know it runs on propane and there is no electrical cord while it's operating (just to charge the battery at the start of the season). It is a larger one - we have a lot of property.

That said, we do see a difference, but we live in a wooded area with lakes/ponds nearby. So, although there are fewer of them, we still have a lot :

How large is your yard? We have ours situated about 100-150ft from our deck area.

ETA: We have the Liberty Plus Cordless
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/mosqui.../liberty_plus/

User Tag List