5 Minute Showers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by senke View Post
Could somebody explain what "BS" and "ACV" are?

Thanks!
BS- bull sh*... no, no, no baking soda
ACV- apple cider vinegar

There is a whole thread all about no-pooing (sounds gross I know) in Natural Home and Boday Care.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#32 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Am I the only one who, 8 months out of the year, cannot shave without the hot water running because I will get goosebumps and shave them off? I find it difficult to turn off the water while lathering because I just get so cold! I've actually fallen in the shower because I was shivering so hard. I'm just very sensitive to cold, and in winter I wear 3-4 layers on most of my body, so when I take off all my clothes I get very chilly. Keeping my house warmer, or pre-heating the bathroom with a space heater, would use extra energy.

So, during the cold seasons, I take a long hot shower every 2 or 3 days. In between, I have this water-saving, non-chilling routine:
1. Put clean clothes, particularly socks, in bathroom. Undress from waist down.
2. Sit on edge of tub with one leg stretched across tub. Turn on hot water. While it gets warm, pee into the drain. (Practice your aim! Never know when you might need it.)
3. Splash privates with warm water. Turn off water. Lather up.
4. Turn on water and rinse.
5. Turn off water and let suds go down drain.
6. Plug drain. Run hot water to about 1/4" deep at drain end. Stand in water, splashing a bit, until feet are thoroughly warmed. Wash and rinse feet.
7. Unplug drain, dry off, and immediately put on socks.
8. Apply fresh deodorant daily to eliminate need to wash armpits daily.

I have Reynaud's Phenomenon, a circulatory problem that makes my feet get very cold, and this works really well for me.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#33 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
1- take a "Navy Shower." Imagine being on a ship with very limited water. You turn on the shower and quickly wet down. Then you turn OFF the water. Lather up, wash your hair, shave, whatever. Take as long as you like to do this since the water is off. Then, turn the water back on and rinse. Done! (might need to turn it on and off a few times if you shampoo twice and condition. It can take me up to ten minutes to put in conditioner and finger comb out all tangles in my long hair. I wouldn't want to let the water run while I do that!)
The key to being able to do this is a special shower head that you can turn off at the head, thus keeping your mix of hot and cold water just right.
Jen
This is similar to what we're trying to do. I have to get some tape for it, but I bought a little piece that fits into the shower between the head and the pipe and it has a little switch in it that you can turn the water on and off with.
It cost me like $3 at Home Depot.
#34 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malva View Post
I have long thick/huge amount of hair so a shower is really hard to cut below 10-15 minutes.

I make up for it by showering twice a week and washing my hair once a week (actually I do the baking soda/acv thing). It's not because I have a shower that I wash my hair everytime. I just avoid wetting it altogether because it takes so long to dry.

The thing is, since its super curly, I have to do conditioner washes daily (only shampoo once a week). Its gets super dry when I miss a day.

I cant shower no less than once a day, sometimes twice. There are times in the winter when I'm less active and occasionally stay home (holiday) that I skip a shower, but that’s extremely rare. The second shower is usually very fast since I don’t get my hair wet and its used only to rinse off the sweat from a heavy workout. DP turned the hot way all the way up so I don’t have to wait for it to come out.

If I didnt have to WOH, take public transit sometimes and mill around the public (aside from working out and sweating at the end of the day), I would definately take less showers. I'm a germ phobe and feel icky about being out all day and putting on clean house clothes and getting into bed.
#35 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 PM

I physically *can't* take short showers unless I absolutely must, and then I go back and "fix" it with another shower when I can.

I'm on the autistic spectrum, and it's just one of my "things." Everything has to be washed a certain way, all body hair has to be shaved, my long hair has to be washed and conditioned . . .and it has to happen every day or I just don't feel right. =\ I've heard of families with a 3 minute egg timer shower and it just makes me shudder.

babyf.gif

#36 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
I've heard of families with a 3 minute egg timer shower and it just makes me shudder.
I feel the same way. I try to do the best I can, be mindful and not daydream in the shower though
#37 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM

I was going to suggest getting a water saving shower head as well. I don't know what a "regular" showerhead uses - one place said it was anywhere from 2-10 gpm (gallons per minute) and "water saving" ones were anywhere from 2-5 gpm. I found one at Home Depot last weekend that's 1.6gpm and Waterpik has one that's 1.5gpm and with different water spray patters/water pause control.

At least then you can can still use less water.
#38 of 52 Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
Four different ways I can think of to make your shower time less:
1- take a "Navy Shower." Imagine being on a ship with very limited water. You turn on the shower and quickly wet down. Then you turn OFF the water. Lather up, wash your hair, shave, whatever. Take as long as you like to do this since the water is off. Then, turn the water back on and rinse. Done! (might need to turn it on and off a few times if you shampoo twice and condition. It can take me up to ten minutes to put in conditioner and finger comb out all tangles in my long hair. I wouldn't want to let the water run while I do that!)
I'll second that, we did this when I was a teen with 5 other kids in the fam. If you didn't turn the water off most of us got cold showers
I should probably start that again....
#39 of 52 Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have to confess...this is my biggest eco-vice and I really have no excuses. My hair is only a couple inches long and I don't shave except for a couple of times in the summer and when I do I use a bowl like a previous poster described. But I do only shower every other day.

I'm just a languisher and it is my escape from the world. Like Sisyphus, I just find it soooo relaxing... But I'm the queen of habit change, so I know I can find another way to unwind.

I like the idea of having one long one a week or maybe a bath once in a while as a substitute. Great ideas all around, keep 'em comin'

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#40 of 52 Old 04-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
I know this sounds so simple, but thank you for sharing it! I knew it was bad to shave with the water running, but the only option I could think of was to take a bath (hate them) or to turn off the water while shaving (our shower is so persnickety that it takes a while to get the hot/cold balance just right, so this isn't an option).

Anyway, thanks for typing that up! I will try it next time!
You can also shave AFTER your shower....if you happen to have a full tub with a shower. Just plug up the tub, shower, then shave using the water that you just washed in. It will also prevent getting a nasty razor burn - I get razor burn if I shave without "soaking" my legs for a little while first.
#41 of 52 Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 PM

Because I need my hair conditioner to set in for at least 5 minutes, a 5 minute shower is only doable if I cut the water off (I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week though). When I get in I immediately wash my hair and then put in some conditioner, while it is setting in I wash my face and body, etc wash that off and then it should be time to rinse conditioner out.

I am very good at doing that when it is warm out but in the winter I freeze if I cut the water off and I started to slack.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#42 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 AM

I almost always shower under five minutes. Here's what I do:

Wet and wash hair.
Put in conditioner.
Oil face.
Wash body
Wipe oil off face.
Rinse conditioner.
Done!

For those who need to leave in conditioner longer -- have you tried a leave-in kind that doesn't require an extra rinse?
#43 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 AM

It's called the mom shower. Mine is 2-5 mins. I don't shave.

Turn the water on, get in. wet hair while reaching for the 2 in 1 wash hair and body. rince off, get out.

no one really needs that 5 min set on conditioner embrace the frizz!

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#44 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 01:35 AM

I will give you my Ds.:LOL Five minute shower: you will be lucky if he lets you stay in for three minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really only shower every two days and I raely get to shave. I usually do the pits and wash my face,hair,condition while I wash my body and then my knew trick is to shave one leg one day and the other the next shower. I always put my "best leg" forward>

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#45 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 AM

I am sooooo happy to see this thread! We have been trying to cut back shower times, but with my 4DD's it has been hard, & I'm guilty too :
I am going to buy an egg timer just for the bathroom & see if that helps. It just seems like the shower time has gotten longer for everyone, except DH, & our water bill has gone up too
#46 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
I will give you my Ds.:LOL Five minute shower: you will be lucky if he lets you stay in for three minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha! Yeah, that helps, too. My son sits in his bouncy chair on the bathroom floor while I shower so his older siblings don't love him to death. I keep peeking out to see how he's doing. When he starts to whimper I know I have approximately 30 seconds to rinse off any soap, towel off, and throw on underwear before he's screaming to nurse!
#47 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
2. Sit on edge of tub with one leg stretched across tub. Turn on hot water. While it gets warm, pee into the drain. (Practice your aim! Never know when you might need it.)
Best piece of advice in this thread!

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#48 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM

I find it so hard to have a short shower. (Although it's been easier since we moved here... a small hot water tank means no more than 10 min. of hot water..) I used to be a 40 min. shower girl in my teens too. (For the pp who asked what I did, I would sing, wash my hair multiple times (why? who knows?) and enjoy being warm.

My biggest problem is just that it's so COLD when I first get out. I hate it. But I'm working on it..

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#49 of 52 Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 PM

A bit of shower head trivia...the government now mandates that shower heads not have a flow higher than 2.5 gallons per minute. Older shower heads may have a flow rate of 5 or even 8 gallons per minute. If you look straight at the face of the shower head, you can usually find the flow rate written there in fine print. If not, you can time how long it takes to fill a gallon bucket--for instance, if it takes 12 seconds, you have a 5 g.p.m. shower head.

I can't do the 1 or 1.5 g.p.m. shower heads--I feel like I'm standing in a mist, can't get the shampoo out of my hair. But anything between 2 and 2.5 works well for me. I want to order myself two 2.15 g.p.m. Prismiere shower heads with the on/off switch for when you're lathering up...one for the downstairs bath and one for upstairs. I've tried this brand before and liked it.

I don't really know how long my showers are, maybe ten minutes? I only shower like twice a week, and join the boys in the bath a couple of times too (though three in the bath is a bit crowded). My ex used to take 45 minute showers--he would sit down and FALL ASLEEP in the shower. I kid you not. Beyond my comprehension.
#50 of 52 Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
[shave one leg one day and the other the next shower. I always put my "best leg" forward>
This is a GREAT idea. Thanks for the tip!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#51 of 52 Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ooh, I loves me my showers.

I'm not that virtuous, but I do have a few water-saving ways. I use water only (WO) to wash my hair, which means I wash it less often--the washing itself actually takes longer than when I was shampooing and conditioning, because it's harder work to get the oil and dirt out, but I'm washing my hair about half as often or less, so that helps.

I rarely shave my legs, as I have sparse light hair you can hardly see in any case, so that saves time.

And I shower with DH. Which more than halves our water use, because a) he doesn't shower every day, so I don't either (I don't really need to, I hasten to add!), and b) he washes me very efficiently and then demands I get out so he can wash his hair, which prevent me lingering! I shower without him occasionally, but mostly just when I have to wash my hair. I occasionally have a bath with the baby, but I consider that a good use of water--washing and relaxing me, washing and playtime for her, bonding for both of us, all good.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#52 of 52 Old 04-21-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShareBear View Post
A bit of shower head trivia...the government now mandates that shower heads not have a flow higher than 2.5 gallons per minute. Older shower heads may have a flow rate of 5 or even 8 gallons per minute. If you look straight at the face of the shower head, you can usually find the flow rate written there in fine print. If not, you can time how long it takes to fill a gallon bucket--for instance, if it takes 12 seconds, you have a 5 g.p.m. shower head.

I can't do the 1 or 1.5 g.p.m. shower heads--I feel like I'm standing in a mist, can't get the shampoo out of my hair. But anything between 2 and 2.5 works well for me. I want to order myself two 2.15 g.p.m. Prismiere shower heads with the on/off switch for when you're lathering up...one for the downstairs bath and one for upstairs. I've tried this brand before and liked it.
I think the reasons why my showers are relatively short is because DP took the flow stopper (or whatever its called) out of the shower head. We have a nice flow of water now. I hate standing under a tickly trickily shower for 5 minutes just to get my hair wet. This way, it saves me time in the morning. Plus our hot water heater is great and is turned way up (no standing outside the shower waiting for the water to warm up and wasting water to boot). I'm not stepping in cold water.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page