5 Minute Showers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help me master the art please! Am I the only one who takes 25 minute showers? : I'm working on saving energy and conserving water but I'm kind of a shower snob. So how can I get it down to 5? Or even just 10 minutes would be an improvement.

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#2 of 52 Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Well, I haven't mastered the art of the five minute shower, though, if I put my mind to it I will do it.

What is it about the long shower that you like? For me it's the privacy. The ALONE time. The feeling of the water flowing down my body.... hot, hot water....

So, I try to get the relaxation benefits in other ways. I take a long, hot bath once a week and take 5 - 10 minute showers the other days. I also only either "wash" or shave. I figure that if I'm shaving, about 60% of my body is being lathered up and the hot water rinses off the rest just fine. I do wash my hair every day, but only because I work out and get gross... my hair is super short, though, so it's quick.

My problem is that after I've done the business end of the shower (which I can do in 5 minutes easily) I really like to just stand there... ALONE... and think.
#3 of 52 Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM

If you're looking for actual instructions on how I shower quickly, here goes:

-Step in shower and put face under spray. Use face scrub first. While rubbing face scrub into face, turn around and wet hair for shampoo.

-While rinsing face, shampoo hair. If using conditioner, put in immediately.

-While rinsing hair (or letting conditioner sit), soap up body. This often requires a leg up on the shower wall to soap while rinsing hair

-Rinse body (and hair, if conditioner was used). Every couple days, run a razor on legs or pits while they're soapy.

Done! I can do it in 5 minutes. The only time I take longer, 'relaxing' showers is on the weekends.

You can do it! Maybe aim for doing substituting one "quickie" a week for a few weeks, so it's not as traumatic for you as going cold turkey might be . I'd still allow yourself a couple long ones a week so you can keep that self care time.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 52 Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 PM

I cheat...I take 2 showers a week, each about 15 to 20 minutes. If I get particularly dirty on a day I don't shower, I take a bath with the kids, or use a warm wash cloth.

Hope that doesn't gross anyone out...

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#5 of 52 Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 PM

Unless I cut my hair down to 2” (super curly, thick, tangled and long) I doubt I can do five minute showers but your post did remind me to use a timer at least so I wont spend too much time with the water running. I do shut it off when I wash-up, shave, etc so its not 5 minutes with the water running.

Most days I take two a day : because I work out in the evenings and have horrible night sweats, but my after workout showers are 3 minutes. I take bath about two evenings a week too which helps.

#6 of 52 Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 PM

sisyphus summed up my reason! Since high school showers have been my solace... and even though I feel soooo guilty- I can't seem to cut them out. I like the idea of trying to do one short one a week even. I don't shower everyday, maybe 4-5 days a week. So I guess I'm cutting a small amount of time?
It's my end of shower time that I savor the most- when I'm not doing anything, we have a "soaker" tub, so I sit down, lay back, close my eyes and let the water run over my face and body. It soothes me in an instant...

Maybe I can make myself a "deal" where for every day I don't shower, I can have one day where I linger- ie- if I shower mon, skip tues, then Wed I can linger, skip thurs, friday I can linger... eventually I could wean myself more... lol

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 52 Old 04-13-2008, 07:47 AM

Where I live we are on level 5 water restrictions (no watering of gardens/lawns, no washing cars, no filling pools) and each person is only allowed 140L water per day. Our local government has been doing a huge marketing campaign on having 4-minute showers, and distributed little water-resistant eggtimers to everyone to use in the shower.

I tend to have an 8-minute shower every second day, because I like the alone time, but I can easily shower in 4 minutes if I have to. If I'm washing my hair, I turn the water off while I'm lathering up or waiting for the conditioner to settle in. And I shave my legs using a bucket sitting on the bathroom floor while I'm supervising DS in his bath.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#8 of 52 Old 04-13-2008, 08:47 AM

I grew up in Los Angeles with everyone ALWAYS talking about the water shortage. I'm the master of the five (or three!) minute shower. It amazes my housemates.
#9 of 52 Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM

I'm working on getting DP to cut down. My showers are usually about 6 minutes his near 20-30 especially on the weekends. Trying to convince him to cut back is proving to be a challenge, which I find funny because he's the one who is SO adimant about recycling and other eco-friendly things we do but not about his shower. go figure!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#10 of 52 Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM

Four different ways I can think of to make your shower time less:
1- take a "Navy Shower." Imagine being on a ship with very limited water. You turn on the shower and quickly wet down. Then you turn OFF the water. Lather up, wash your hair, shave, whatever. Take as long as you like to do this since the water is off. Then, turn the water back on and rinse. Done! (might need to turn it on and off a few times if you shampoo twice and condition. It can take me up to ten minutes to put in conditioner and finger comb out all tangles in my long hair. I wouldn't want to let the water run while I do that!)
The key to being able to do this is a special shower head that you can turn off at the head, thus keeping your mix of hot and cold water just right. 'Cause if you have to readjust the water every time you turn it off and back on, it doesn't really help. Also a hand-held shower head is helpful for wetting down and rinsing off quickly and effectively.
A nice variation on the Navy shower is to share the shower with a partner. Then, instead of turning the water off and on, you just trade places. DH and I used to always do this when getting ready for work, pre-kids. It really saved time and was a nice way to start the day.
2-Have your two-year-old standing outside the shower, pulling the curtain open and yelling, "Mommy, DON'T TAKE A SHOWER!!!!! NO SHOWER!!! GET OUT!!!" Always speeds me up! I just wash the pits, bottom, and feet and get on out.
3-Don't shave. Saves a LOT of time. Or at least, turn off the water while you shave.
4-If you don't shower at all most days, I believe you've "saved up" your time and deserve to take a 15 or 20 minute shower on the weekend!

Jen
#11 of 52 Old 04-13-2008, 11:25 PM

I used to do a Navy shower all the time. Get in, get wet, turn off shower, lather up, turn on shower and rinse off. Done.

The Navy shower heads are very inexpensive. I think mine was less than $5. It has a switch to turn it off and on easily.

Like many of you, I now bathe with DS, sans soap. I actually get under the shower about once a week.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 52 Old 04-13-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenP View Post
2-Have your two-year-old standing outside the shower, pulling the curtain open and yelling, "Mommy, DON'T TAKE A SHOWER!!!!! NO SHOWER!!! GET OUT!!!" Always speeds me up! I just wash the pits, bottom, and feet and get on out.

Totally.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#13 of 52 Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM

: I feel ashamed after reading the responses. Like I said before, I must sport a short do (not sure if I want to do that) in order to have shorter showers.

DP takes slightly longer showers too. I guess we make up for it in other ways though...
#14 of 52 Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 AM

I need laser hair removal before 5-minute showers are anywhere near a possibility. :
#15 of 52 Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 PM

im not sure i'll ever master this.. if i dont shave daily i feel gross
#16 of 52 Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM

I take roughly 5-minute showers. I've never really been one to relax in the shower or in a bath and I get bored. I just get in, get wet, wash hair, rinse, condition hair, rinse, wash face and pits, rinse, and I'm done.

It helps that I'm really lax about shaving. That usually doubles my shower time, but still only 10 minutes.

If I'm really really really cold. I might take a 15 minute shower.
#17 of 52 Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure how long it takes me. I'm going to time my shower tomorrow morning to see. (Making sure not to hurry more than normal to make myself look good! ) I'm guessing that it takes me about 5 minutes, and I have thick hair that is halfway down my back. I'll report back tomorrow with my results. I'm also lax about shaving my legs, so that would add some time.

ETA Results: Ok, it took me just under 5 minutes to shower. The second day I decided to shave my legs and that added 5 minutes. I'm not sure I could get my shower down to 3 minutes since my hair is so long and thick, but since I don't shower every day I'm not going to worry about it.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#18 of 52 Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni_goes_grrr View Post
im not sure i'll ever master this.. if i dont shave daily i feel gross
Ah, then, your answer is to not shave in the shower.
When I was a wee lass and my mom taught me how to shave my legs, this is what she told me:
You sit on the edge of the tub, with your legs (or just one leg at a time) in the tub. Have a plastic cup or bowl (or even the lid from the shaving cream) filled with water sitting in the tub. Wet down one leg with a wet washcloth and lather it up with shave cream. Shave that leg, and after each pass with the razor you rinse the razor by swishing it in the bowl of water. Rinse that first leg with the washcloth and switch legs. There! You've shaved your legs and only used about 2 cups of water! You can do your pits while you're sitting there, too.
Then you can hop in the shower to wash - now that you've shaved it should only take a couple of minutes!

Happy showering.

Jen
#19 of 52 Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Ah, then, your answer is to not shave in the shower.
When I was a wee lass and my mom taught me how to shave my legs, this is what she told me:
You sit on the edge of the tub, with your legs (or just one leg at a time) in the tub. Have a plastic cup or bowl (or even the lid from the shaving cream) filled with water sitting in the tub. Wet down one leg with a wet washcloth and lather it up with shave cream. Shave that leg, and after each pass with the razor you rinse the razor by swishing it in the bowl of water. Rinse that first leg with the washcloth and switch legs. There! You've shaved your legs and only used about 2 cups of water! You can do your pits while you're sitting there, too.
Then you can hop in the shower to wash - now that you've shaved it should only take a couple of minutes!

Happy showering.

Jen
I know this sounds so simple, but thank you for sharing it! I knew it was bad to shave with the water running, but the only option I could think of was to take a bath (hate them) or to turn off the water while shaving (our shower is so persnickety that it takes a while to get the hot/cold balance just right, so this isn't an option).

Anyway, thanks for typing that up! I will try it next time!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#20 of 52 Old 04-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
I know this sounds so simple, but thank you for sharing it!
Hey, glad it helped!
We RV'd a lot during my youth, so I learned to shave and shower using very little water. We weren't trying to be green, it's just that you did NOT want to fill up the gray water tank before it was time to go home!!!

Jen
#21 of 52 Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 PM

I wish someone would show me how to take a long shower. I have tried when I want to relax or have a break from the kids, but I can't. Like what do you do for so long in there? Like I was bored. I stood there like "now what?"

I get in, wash my hair, put conditioner in, wash my body, rinse conditioner, and get out. less than 5 minutes.

ETA: I shave a couple times a week, and even then, it only takes a minute.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#22 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Other ideas - you can save water by getting a water-saving showerhead.

I don't know how much water this takes compared to a 5 or 15 minute shower, but sometimes I take what I call the 1-inch bath. I put just a little water in (1 inch, lol) and can take as long as I want. Nowhere near as relaxing as a full bath, but it gets the job done, and allows for shaving time. I wouldn't wash my hair with this method, though.

Motivate yourself--- I think I read recently the average flow is 20 gallons a minute? Or maybe it's 20 gallons for a 5 minute shower (thus 4 gallons a minute). Either way, that's a shocking number and if you keep it in mind, you might be motivated to keep moving.

Use a kitchen timer and set it to 1 minute less than you commit yourself to taking (so when it rings, you still have a quick minute to rinse whatever out, etc., then turn it off).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#23 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=The4OfUs;10973092]If you're looking for actual instructions on how I shower quickly, here goes:

-Step in shower and put face under spray. Use face scrub first. While rubbing face scrub into face, turn around and wet hair for shampoo.

-While rinsing face, shampoo hair. If using conditioner, put in immediately.

-While rinsing hair (or letting conditioner sit), soap up body. This often requires a leg up on the shower wall to soap while rinsing hair

-Rinse body (and hair, if conditioner was used). run a razor on legs or pits while they're soapy.

Thats what I do every day. Our hot water heater sucks. It runs out of hot water in less than 5 minutes so showering is all business here. I wash one area while another area is rinsing. When I lived with my parents I too was guilty of 20 minute showers. I cant take a bath since it would be lukewarm only. You get less than 2 inches of hot water before it runs out.
#24 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
: I feel ashamed after reading the responses. Like I said before, I must sport a short do (not sure if I want to do that) in order to have shorter showers.

I have long thick/huge amount of hair so a shower is really hard to cut below 10-15 minutes.

I make up for it by showering twice a week and washing my hair once a week (actually I do the baking soda/acv thing). It's not because I have a shower that I wash my hair everytime. I just avoid wetting it altogether because it takes so long to dry.
#25 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

I don't know how much water this takes compared to a 5 or 15 minute shower, but sometimes I take what I call the 1-inch bath. I put just a little water in (1 inch, lol) and can take as long as I want. Nowhere near as relaxing as a full bath, but it gets the job done, and allows for shaving time. I wouldn't wash my hair with this method, though.
Don't you get really cold that way?
#26 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
A nice variation on the Navy shower is to share the shower with a partner. Then, instead of turning the water off and on, you just trade places.
Last night I timed us and we took 6 minutes 11 seconds! Does that count as 3 minutes 6.5 seconds since we shared the shower? LOL!
#27 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hey, glad it helped!
We RV'd a lot during my youth, so I learned to shave and shower using very little water. We weren't trying to be green, it's just that you did NOT want to fill up the gray water tank before it was time to go home!!!

Jen
and the water runs out fast if you take a long shower!
#28 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 07:40 PM

I used to take very long showers and now I take less than five minutes.
- I turned the water heater way down. If I took a shower longer than five minutes I would run out of hot water.
- I've been trying the curly girl hair routine which means I don't use shampoo.
- I stopped shaving my legs. (I told my husband I wasn't going to shave them until he shaves his silly scratchy mustache off haha).
#29 of 52 Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM

oh no, I was probably THE worst offender with 30-40 minute showers, yes, 40 minutes!!!!! Get wet and sit there for a while, shampoo, conditioner, shave, rinse conditioner, wash body, wash my face, then sit there for a little while longer.

Now it's probably between 5-10 minutes, but I will have to time myself for an exact number. I no longer use shampoo or conditioner, BS and ACV. It just takes too long for the conditioner to rinse out of my hair and BS and ACV are WAY cheaper and better for the enviro.

New and improved routine-
Apply my oil to my face and massage before I get in the shower. Get wet, while I wash my hair with BS I'll rinse my face with the hot water to "open" the pores, soap up, while I rinse the soap I'll wipe the oil off my face, then rinse hair with ACV. Done. Once a week I will shave in the shower. This summer I will have to shave more and use coconut oil for that, I hate shaving cream. I spend way more time after the shower applying lotion, a cold rinse on my face, Oyin's deo, and just getting some ME time But DS is 5 and pretty much leaves me alone so no yelling child messing with the curtain!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#30 of 52 Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 AM

Could somebody explain what "BS" and "ACV" are?

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page