Help! I hate my kitchen . . . can't keep it clean! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a fairly large kitchen, compared to the size of the apartment. I just cannot seem to keep it clean and it really makes me feel ashamed of myself. It's time I got this major source of shame off my chest and asked for some help!

1. Right now the sink is half full of dishes. My hang up to dishwashing? The sink is facing the wall, with my back to the doorway and all of the rest of the living space, which feels very uncomfortable to me. There is no dishwasher.

2. The floor needs to be mopped. My hang up? It ALWAYS needs to be mopped! Spills are constant and hard to scrub off of the darned textured linoleum! Ugg!! And the floor is wide, too. I feel like I can't keep up with it!

3. The (white!) cupboards need to be scrubbed-- pretty badly. My hang up? The white matte paint comes off easily (cheap paint job on old cabinets. ) and then it only looks worse. so they have to be scrubbed very carefully but they need to be scrubbed so often! Urg. We'll be moving in about 6 months or so, btw.

4. The kitchen counter is a MAGNET for EVERYTHING-- misc. papers that don't go anywhere else, mail, spices, fruit, broken things requiring attention, appliances, pilings of clutter being moved about or gotten rid of, etc etc . . . plus it requires scrubbign right now, but it is hard for me to scrub because I'm only 5'2" and it's a high bar-level counter [it's at elbow level for me]. Blah. I really should scrub it every day-- and the floor-- but I don't. Right now I am keeping up with the clutter pretty well-- getting organized and decluttering majorly-- but the scrubbing is the biggest issue, and then dh still uses the counter as the catch-all place.

So . . . I feel ashamed and frustrated. How do other people do it? I should add that I am the lucky mommy of a three-year-old and a one-year-old. How do you keep a clean kitchen? It seems as soon as I get one task done I am out of energy and there is still more to do. I can never keep up with it! Literally the only way it can get ALL clean, is if DH helps me! Which we do every once in a while (usually when people are coming over or when I lose my sanity! Lol!) But I feel like I should be able to keep up with it myself-- after all, other people in seem to be able to.

So, please, share your secrets. I need to know. TIA! BTW, I have little trouble keeping up with the rest of my house-- my problem is pretty much just the kitchen. Thanks!

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#2 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM

I understand. i hate the kitchen too as it is a never ending mess it seems, especially with little ones who can be very messy.

One thing I've started doing is not worry about getting it perfect every day, because then I feel like it's a lost cause, but I have committed to spending 15 minutes in the morning after breakfast and 15 minutes after dinner.

I start with the dishes and then if I still have time on the timer I sweep the floor, work on clutter spots, wipe down counters, etc. It's amazing what I can get done in those 15 minutes if I just stay focused. I also have 2 kids and if I get interrupted I pause my timer, take care of what they need and come back to finish my 15 minutes once they are settled again. I find if I keep this up, it becomes easier to maintain. Sometimes, if it's epescially bad I'll do an extra 15 minutes after lunch. I do stop after 15 minutes even if it's not done. I know for some people that seems strange, but it gives me an ending point. This is one of those things I picked up from Flylady....I don't do her whole program, but I have incorporated the "you can do anything for 15 minutes".

Also, I give my 3 & 5 year old a little spray bottle of natural cleaner or water and a rag and have them scrub the spots on the floor. They do a pretty good job and have lots of fun doing it.
#3 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

The 15 minute-timer idea is a good one. I have a hard time believing that 30 minutes a day would get me further than where I am now, but I can't know for sure until I try it-- after all, I've never kept track of how much time I actually spend in there-- and at least it would keep me focused which might make me feel less anxious about the whole thing.

And LOL about the kids scrubbing the floor-- it's worth a try, right? Heehee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader18 View Post
I understand. i hate the kitchen too as it is a never ending mess it seems, especially with little ones who can be very messy.

One thing I've started doing is not worry about getting it perfect every day, because then I feel like it's a lost cause, but I have committed to spending 15 minutes in the morning after breakfast and 15 minutes after dinner.

I start with the dishes and then if I still have time on the timer I sweep the floor, work on clutter spots, wipe down counters, etc. It's amazing what I can get done in those 15 minutes if I just stay focused. I also have 2 kids and if I get interrupted I pause my timer, take care of what they need and come back to finish my 15 minutes once they are settled again. I find if I keep this up, it becomes easier to maintain. Sometimes, if it's epescially bad I'll do an extra 15 minutes after lunch. I do stop after 15 minutes even if it's not done. I know for some people that seems strange, but it gives me an ending point. This is one of those things I picked up from Flylady....I don't do her whole program, but I have incorporated the "you can do anything for 15 minutes".

Also, I give my 3 & 5 year old a little spray bottle of natural cleaner or water and a rag and have them scrub the spots on the floor. They do a pretty good job and have lots of fun doing it.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#4 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 07:24 PM

You wouldn't listen to the little advise I have if you say my kitchen !!!!

for the cabinets, I have found that if you thread a thin kitchen towel through the handle or loop one over the knob of every door that some of the messes stay away. A little more washing to do but I rotate them out so I don't have to wash all them all the time... I have 7 cabinet doors, so 7 towels and then the hand towel dryer spot, I will wash the handtowel and the 2 most used door rags all the time and then move the less often used door towels down the line putting the new clean towels on the less used cabinets, so it's not like I'm really washing all the towels everytime.

for the floors, a couple of double sided throw rugs that don't show stains easily, you can shake them out then flip them over when one side gets messy and not have to wash them as often.

can you put a mirror up in front of the sink so that you can see what's going on in the room and feel like you are part of the relaxing, non-washing dishes world?
#5 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 PM

I feel you on this one--
And I only have one 6 month-old, besides the roommate, DH, and my little brother, to make messes.

I focus on just getting the dishes done, or just the counter/stove wiped down.
I also do a 'bad' thing-- I put those big area rug/small carpets on the floor in my kitchen, on top of those gym mats (so my feet aren't always killing me) near where I stand most often. Then when they get messy, I have DH or my little brother throw them in the wash. I don't have to mop nearly as often, that way, and for the most part they're clean. Or at least, they look clean.

I am a big believer in enlisting help. I cook, someone else helps me clean. That's the deal. I can't do everything myself, and I don't want to.
#6 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
for the cabinets, I have found that if you thread a thin kitchen towel through the handle or loop one over the knob of every door that some of the messes stay away.
I'll try this! Thanks!

Quote:
for the floors, a couple of double sided throw rugs that don't show stains easily, you can shake them out then flip them over when one side gets messy and not have to wash them as often.
Love this idea! I'm going to get some rugs.

Quote:
can you put a mirror up in front of the sink so that you can see what's going on in the room and feel like you are part of the relaxing, non-washing dishes world?
This is a great idea but the whole wall there is tiled so I don't think I can hang a mirror there. I'll run the idea by dh though, he might know how it could be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimeiyu View Post
I also do a 'bad' thing-- I put those big area rug/small carpets on the floor in my kitchen, on top of those gym mats (so my feet aren't always killing me) near where I stand most often. Then when they get messy, I have DH or my little brother throw them in the wash. I don't have to mop nearly as often, that way, and for the most part they're clean. Or at least, they look clean.
Another vote for kitchen rugs, and I'm going to try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimeiyu View Post
I am a big believer in enlisting help. I cook, someone else helps me clean. That's the deal. I can't do everything myself, and I don't want to.
This would be fair for us, if dh wasn't working so much. As it is, he works ten+ hour days and then has homework to do for his online college courses. I'm not in school right now, just focusing on raising the boys right now. No one is here for dinner, most days, except me and the littles. (Which is kind of boring, btw. ) So when dh works long hours, I do too! and we both recognize that. But I feel like it's more fair if I can try to keep up with the housework on my own, considering how much he is working right now. I do ask for help when I REALLY need it, and he is really good about pitching in without being asked. Also when we have a baby he really steps up and he used to do all of the dishes for me, for like a year postpartum! But I'd like to not bother him with it right now, so he can focus on other things. There's just more work to go around for everyone right now!

#7 of 23 Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
This would be fair for us, if dh wasn't working so much. As it is, he works ten+ hour days and then has homework to do for his online college courses. I'm not in school right now, just focusing on raising the boys right now. No one is here for dinner, most days, except me and the littles. (Which is kind of boring, btw. ) So when dh works long hours, I do too! and we both recognize that. But I feel like it's more fair if I can try to keep up with the housework on my own, considering how much he is working right now. I do ask for help when I REALLY need it, and he is really good about pitching in without being asked. Also when we have a baby he really steps up and he used to do all of the dishes for me, for like a year postpartum! But I'd like to not bother him with it right now, so he can focus on other things. There's just more work to go around for everyone right now!
Around here we have to have routines or things don't get done. In fact, the kitchen is a mess right now 'cause we've eaten out two nights in a row.
I only ask two things of DH. On Thursday nights he takes out the garbage and every night after dinner we do the dishes together. It is not easy to keep the whole house clean, but doing a little bit every day helps. My DH is gone 12 hours for work and he is not looking forward to doing the dishes when dinner is over and it's time to relax. But, if I'm in there by myself we have no time to spend together. We kill two birds with one stone by washing dishes together. The work is done in less than half the time and doing it together is a bonding experience for us. There's something about caring for your home as a couple. We both feel so much better when the house is clean, especially the kitchen, so it's worth it to both of us. Maybe you could try it for a week and see if you are able to stay on top of them better. You might just love it!
#8 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
This is a great idea but the whole wall there is tiled so I don't think I can hang a mirror there. I'll run the idea by dh though, he might know how it could be done.
Can you put a pin-up of somebody worth gawking at? Pierce Brosnan in his younger days comes to mind.... Oh, and don't run this idea by your DH...

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#9 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 05:26 AM

Aaahhh. Turquesa...lol about the Pierce Brosnan picture...but why in his younger days? I'll take him in his old age too .
I was going to suggest taping some positive sayings, or jokey things about kitchens that you can change, for inspiration, over the sink.
White matt paint? unghh. I can imagine how frustrating that must be to clean. Could you possibly get some coloured enamel gloss and just give them a coat of paint? Would probably not take any longer than what it would take to scrub them, and they would be so easy to just wipe down then? Is that a possibility? I had a similar problem in my kitchen and ended up loathing it, because the cupboards were impossible to wipe down.....and my Dad just took them off their hinges, laid them out in the back yard on some bricks and spray painted the lot with a coloured gloss paint in about one hour. Being matt paint, the gloss should stick easily too...
Just a suggestion, but I realise it mightn't be practicable for you.
And yes, like the OPs suggested, coloured easily washed mats on the floor to catch drips... even some of those nylon woven ones... they don't show the dirt, and they come up like new in the wash.
#10 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM

What helped me manage the dishes (I have a tiny kitchen and no dishwasher) was to hide all the glasses, mugs, plates, forks and bowls except for one or 2 per person. That way, the dishes never have a chance to pile up, because you are forced to wash them before using them again. This has been a huge help to me.
#11 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM

I feel your pain. Simplify! If you can- get everything you don't use regularly off the counters. That always makes me feel better because there is less to look at! Our island is always a mess. I wish I could help but I have the same problem! If you can't stand it for the next six months, could you repaint your cabinets with a better, more scrubbable, darker colored paint?
What cleaners do you use on the floor? Maybe you need to try something different that will give more pleasing results? You could always throw down some washable rugs...

OH- and hang a mirror over your sink, by golly!
#12 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM

What has helped me is to stop bringing things into the kitchen that are not 'kitchen' items. No mail - no papers - no clutter - no junk drawer even. Also, get everything off of the counters that you don't use every day. It will speed up the day-to-day clean up and give the look of being cleaner (even if the stuff in the cabinets is a disaster). If you feel inclined to reduce the number of dishes and glasses, as mentioned in the pp, it helps prevent dishes pile-up

The kids wiping down the floor with rags and little water spray bottles will probably work great - my kids love it.

You also mentioned that you are moving in 6 mo - maybe using up all of you extra stuff in the kitchen and giving away the extra clutter will clear out the area and also reduce the amount of work you will have when the move comes around.

Good Luck.
#13 of 23 Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessKristie View Post
I only ask two things of DH. On Thursday nights he takes out the garbage and every night after dinner we do the dishes together. It is not easy to keep the whole house clean, but doing a little bit every day helps. My DH is gone 12 hours for work and he is not looking forward to doing the dishes when dinner is over and it's time to relax. But, if I'm in there by myself we have no time to spend together. We kill two birds with one stone by washing dishes together. The work is done in less than half the time and doing it together is a bonding experience for us
I like this idea-- we might try this! The only issue is that the kitchen is right next to the bedroom, so when the boys are sleeping we have to be very quiet in there. It is hard to wash dishes-- or cook-- quietly-- but it can be done-- but it is annoying. This is actually probably a big part of the problem, come to think of it, because it makes me avoid doing anyhting in the kitchen during the times that it would be most efficient to get work done. Oh well . . . another reason to move . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post
Can you put a pin-up of somebody worth gawking at? Pierce Brosnan in his younger days comes to mind.... Oh, and don't run this idea by your DH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
I was going to suggest taping some positive sayings, or jokey things about kitchens that you can change, for inspiration, over the sink.
I did wind up taping my Treasure Map over the sink, so that's nice. Thanks for the ideas, ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillydilly View Post
White matt paint? unghh. I can imagine how frustrating that must be to clean. Could you possibly get some coloured enamel gloss and just give them a coat of paint? Would probably not take any longer than what it would take to scrub them, and they would be so easy to just wipe down then? Is that a possibility?
Even though we are moving out shortly, we are seriously considering painting the cabinets-- if I went to the trouble to gloss them, I think I would just repaint them. A little color-- maybe a light sage or celery green-- would be SO much more cheerful than the stark white white white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
What helped me manage the dishes (I have a tiny kitchen and no dishwasher) was to hide all the glasses, mugs, plates, forks and bowls except for one or 2 per person. That way, the dishes never have a chance to pile up, because you are forced to wash them before using them again. This has been a huge help to me.
I kind of did this-- limited the amount of plates-- but you all would laugh at me if you knew what I "limited" it to-- um, about 12 plates all in all . . . there are four in our household . . . yeahhhh . . . maybe I should try limiting it a bit more and see how that works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethedesert View Post
If you can't stand it for the next six months, could you repaint your cabinets with a better, more scrubbable, darker colored paint?
We might!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikethedesert View Post
What cleaners do you use on the floor?
Seventh Generation all purpose cleaner, I think. I have used non-natural stuff that works better but with the little boys eating off and licking the floor () from time to time, I just have to be really careful what I use now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet9999 View Post
What has helped me is to stop bringing things into the kitchen that are not 'kitchen' items. No mail - no papers - no clutter - no junk drawer even. Also, get everything off of the counters that you don't use every day.
At first I was going to say that there isn't anything on the counters that I don't use on a daily basis but then I realized there is! Funny how I just stop noticing it after a while. Not sure where some stuff would go . . . hmmm . . . but at least now you have me thinking about it! Thanks!

You guys all rock!

#14 of 23 Old 04-19-2008, 08:14 PM

how about a radio in the kitchen. You can play some tunes dance a little and the little ones can jam with you and wipe low spills.

My kitchen is always "in the works". It's a drop off point for mail, lunch boxes, you name it.

I just do a little here and there. I have also simplified my kitchen and just keep the basics.

I also dont' call dinner until I have the dishes I used loaded in the dishwasher..or you could wash those dishes and set them in the drain.
The little ones can clear the table.
#15 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
I like this idea-- we might try this! The only issue is that the kitchen is right next to the bedroom, so when the boys are sleeping we have to be very quiet in there. It is hard to wash dishes-- or cook-- quietly-- but it can be done-- but it is annoying. This is actually probably a big part of the problem, come to think of it, because it makes me avoid doing anyhting in the kitchen during the times that it would be most efficient to get work done. Oh well . . . another reason to move . . .
Our nursery is right off the kitchen as well, so if we do not work together to get the dishes done right after dinner I'm stuck doing them the next day because DS goes to bed. Usually he plays in the kitchen with us or in the nursery with some music on while Daddy and I do the dishes.

I have also been thinking about your floor. Something you might like to try is a dust mop and a microfiber mop. I have one of each, but I know there are brands that have interchangeable heads. Here's the floor cleaning routine (which I do during the day as a part of my daily upkeep). I use the dust mop to go over all the hard floors and sweep it all into one area. I pick that up with a hand broom and dustpan. Then I wet the head on my microfiber mop with water, wring it out and then spray the floor with vinegar and water (very little vinegar). I spray as I go and mop it really well. It's all done in about 15 minutes (dining room and kitchen)!
I have two of each head and depending on how dirty the floor is (not too bad here) I change it when it needs changing and wash when they're both dirty (usually once a week).
#16 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a fairly large kitchen, compared to the size of the apartment. I just cannot seem to keep it clean and it really makes me feel ashamed of myself. It's time I got this major source of shame off my chest and asked for some help!

1. Right now the sink is half full of dishes. My hang up to dishwashing? The sink is facing the wall, with my back to the doorway and all of the rest of the living space, which feels very uncomfortable to me. There is no dishwasher.

2. The floor needs to be mopped. My hang up? It ALWAYS needs to be mopped! Spills are constant and hard to scrub off of the darned textured linoleum! Ugg!! And the floor is wide, too. I feel like I can't keep up with it!

3. The (white!) cupboards need to be scrubbed-- pretty badly. My hang up? The white matte paint comes off easily (cheap paint job on old cabinets. ) and then it only looks worse. so they have to be scrubbed very carefully but they need to be scrubbed so often! Urg. We'll be moving in about 6 months or so, btw.

4. The kitchen counter is a MAGNET for EVERYTHING-- misc. papers that don't go anywhere else, mail, spices, fruit, broken things requiring attention, appliances, pilings of clutter being moved about or gotten rid of, etc etc . . . plus it requires scrubbing right now, but it is hard for me to scrub because I'm only 5'2" and it's a high bar-level counter [it's at elbow level for me]. Blah. I really should scrub it every day-- and the floor-- but I don't. Right now I am keeping up with the clutter pretty well-- getting organized and decluttering majorly-- but the scrubbing is the biggest issue, and then dh still uses the counter as the catch-all place.

So . . . I feel ashamed and frustrated. How do other people do it? I should add that I am the lucky mommy of a three-year-old and a one-year-old. How do you keep a clean kitchen? It seems as soon as I get one task done I am out of energy and there is still more to do. I can never keep up with it! Literally the only way it can get ALL clean, is if DH helps me! Which we do every once in a while (usually when people are coming over or when I lose my sanity! Lol!) But I feel like I should be able to keep up with it myself-- after all, other people in seem to be able to.

So, please, share your secrets. I need to know. TIA! BTW, I have little trouble keeping up with the rest of my house-- my problem is pretty much just the kitchen. Thanks!
Okay...you need to get out of my kitchen!

Solutions I have found to some of the exact same problems you have:

1. I wash the dishes as soon after food prep as possible. It's faster, easier, and frees me up to cook the next meal right away. As opposed to soaking, scrubbing, and putting away the dirty dishes when I really need to start cooking supper....

2. I try to wipe up spills and drips as soon as they happen. I have a designated floor sponge that I use only on the floor.

3. We painted my cabinets. The ones that were installed were painted by the landlord before we moved in, then hubby got some old cabinets that matched the hung cabinets, and made me a bar height counter, and painted those cabinets. They look so nice now, and the paint hasn't rubbed off yet. I just use a knitted dishcloth to wipe mine. It's gentle enough that it won't rub off the paint, but sturdy enough to get spills and splashes off.

4. I use DH's desk as the catch-all. Okay, sure, it just moves the problem, but it's out of my kitchen! I use the counter for food prep, and it usually winds up being covered in flour (kneading dough) or little bits of vegetable. And it's where we keep the fruit bowl, coffee maker, and the toaster that apparently I am the only one who knows how to put away....:
#17 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM

I strongly agree with everyone who suggested a mirror over the sink. Psychologically, it's very difficult to stand with your back to the doorway, facing a wall. Some places (Target? Walmart?) sell little mirrors that are designed for dorm rooms; they're small, light-weight, have suction cups on the back, and are (supposedly) break-proof. Maybe not the *classiest* solution, but it should help with that facing-a-wall feeling, and stick to the tile.

I also agree with the idea of having a radio or CD player, something to help the time go as you do dishes, cook, or clean. Anything that makes the room more comfortable, more "yours", will make it easier to maintain.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#18 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 PM

I'm actually here right now procrastinating because my kitchen is such a mess. It is the biggest challenge to me. It's big, with lots of cabinet and counter space. We have an island. I don't have a ton of usable counter space because the counter from the end to the sink has our computer and a small stereo and our phone. Then we have the sink and a corner counter to the stove. I can keep that empty and it's the goal. Then we have a two foot section of counter between the stove and refrigerator that has the toaster, Vitamix and home management binder (all used daily). I'd like to keep the island clear too.

Currently, I can barely even see my counters. There are big dishes to wash, groceries to put away, stuff to go out to recycling, stuff that needs a home but I'm not sure where.

I'm so overwhelmed. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm lazy. I always plan to do it later, then another meal happens and all that's added to what was there before, then I don't have time to get it done so I save it for later, but I have four kids to get to bed and I'm exhausted. Then I get up early and go to work and start it all over again.

I think right now I'm going to go through and take care of all the recycling, put all the big stuff to be washed in one area and get a big laundry basket and just start putting everything else in there and getting it clean, then washing the dishes and putting stuff away from the basket. It's such a constant chore, I wish I could do better with it!
#19 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm lazy.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step of recovery.

The second step is.....well, I don't know. I would attend Lazy Anonymous meetings, but.....meh. I'd have to, like, get dressed and leave the apartment.
#20 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Admitting you have a problem is the first step of recovery.

The second step is.....well, I don't know. I would attend Lazy Anonymous meetings, but.....meh. I'd have to, like, get dressed and leave the apartment.

I'm doing it now. It's not as bad as it seemed. All the recycling is out, groceries are put away, I just loaded the dishwasher. It seems more managable now, but I still need a plan. I think I need to go back through and reorganize my pantry. It's big, but it has wire shelving, so I don't feel like I can put too much heavy stuff on it. I put some canned things in a cabinet because it seemed sturdier. I'm going to brainstorm ideas for arranging my kitchen to help, hopefully.
#21 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM

I have had and still kind of have the same problem. I solved part of it by freecycling all of our duplicate and unused counter appliances and extra dishes that we weren't really using. That solved alot of the problem. Then I started doing the dishes immediately following the meal. I was by hand and I fill up the sink with the hottest water I can get and soak off the gunk while I sweep and swiffer the floor. Then by the time I put on a load of laundry and wipe off the counters and stove the water has cooled enough to wash the dishes. I let mine airdary in the rack because I am lazy too.

It is a constant battle against clutter and dirt here since we hav so much farm traffic in and out. But not obsessing over it and realizing that it will never be perfect helps alot.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#22 of 23 Old 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Regarding the mirrors: if you have an ikea near you they sell a 4-pack of little mirrors with double sided tape to mount them. We used them in our bathroom to stick a little mirror at kid level because ours are too high up.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/39151700

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#23 of 23 Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all of the tips and suggestions. It means a lot and it's really got me thinking, too. When I asked for help I wasn't sure there was anything anyone could say that would really make a big difference, but I figured I had nothing to lose! Well, I got SO many good ideas I am really excited! So far I have found ways to get more stuff out of my kitchen, and develop some better routines in there. I also plan to buy some throw rugs for the kitchen floor. Oh, and we are going to apint the cupboards at some point, too. Hopefully soon! That will be a great change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
how about a radio in the kitchen. You can play some tunes dance a little and the little ones can jam with you and wipe low spills.

<snip>

I also dont' call dinner until I have the dishes I used loaded in the dishwasher..or you could wash those dishes and set them in the drain.
The little ones can clear the table.
I really like both of these ideas! I really want an ipod dock-thing for the kitchen, but until then a radio will have to do.

Quote:
Our nursery is right off the kitchen as well, so if we do not work together to get the dishes done right after dinner I'm stuck doing them the next day because DS goes to bed. Usually he plays in the kitchen with us or in the nursery with some music on while Daddy and I do the dishes.
The difference for me is DH is not home until 9:30 or 10:00 at night.

Quote:
I have also been thinking about your floor. Something you might like to try is a dust mop and a microfiber mop. I have one of each, but I know there are brands that have interchangeable heads. Here's the floor cleaning routine (which I do during the day as a part of my daily upkeep). I use the dust mop to go over all the hard floors and sweep it all into one area. I pick that up with a hand broom and dustpan. Then I wet the head on my microfiber mop with water, wring it out and then spray the floor with vinegar and water (very little vinegar). I spray as I go and mop it really well. It's all done in about 15 minutes (dining room and kitchen)!
I have two of each head and depending on how dirty the floor is (not too bad here) I change it when it needs changing and wash when they're both dirty (usually once a week).
Not sure yet if I can do this routine every day, but I certainly aspire to! Thank you so much for sharing your routine, it actually doesn't sound hard at all! I'm just not quite there yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Okay...you need to get out of my kitchen!
Thanks for sharing your tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I strongly agree with everyone who suggested a mirror over the sink. Psychologically, it's very difficult to stand with your back to the doorway, facing a wall. Some places (Target? Walmart?) sell little mirrors that are designed for dorm rooms; they're small, light-weight, have suction cups on the back, and are (supposedly) break-proof. Maybe not the *classiest* solution, but it should help with that facing-a-wall feeling, and stick to the tile.
This is a really good idea. I don't know if it would work for me because there are these raised decorative tiles in the mix in this particular wall (ugh, I know!) But I'm going to give it some consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I'm actually here right now procrastinating because my kitchen is such a mess. It is the biggest challenge to me. It's big, with lots of cabinet and counter space. We have an island. I don't have a ton of usable counter space because the counter from the end to the sink has our computer and a small stereo and our phone. Then we have the sink and a corner counter to the stove. I can keep that empty and it's the goal. Then we have a two foot section of counter between the stove and refrigerator that has the toaster, Vitamix and home management binder (all used daily). I'd like to keep the island clear too.

Currently, I can barely even see my counters. There are big dishes to wash, groceries to put away, stuff to go out to recycling, stuff that needs a home but I'm not sure where.

I'm so overwhelmed. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm lazy. I always plan to do it later, then another meal happens and all that's added to what was there before, then I don't have time to get it done so I save it for later, but I have four kids to get to bed and I'm exhausted. Then I get up early and go to work and start it all over again.

I think right now I'm going to go through and take care of all the recycling, put all the big stuff to be washed in one area and get a big laundry basket and just start putting everything else in there and getting it clean, then washing the dishes and putting stuff away from the basket. It's such a constant chore, I wish I could do better with it!
Your kitchen sounds a lot like mine! I don't think you're really lazy-- well, not so much as just overwhelmed and tired. I hope some of these great suggestions I've gotten can maybe help you, too. I know for me I really need to make things easier for me to clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I have had and still kind of have the same problem. I solved part of it by freecycling all of our duplicate and unused counter appliances and extra dishes that we weren't really using. That solved alot of the problem.
I just did this! I downsized from 13 plates to 4 plates and put the rest up on a high shelf. 4 bowls, too. I didn't downsize the flatware, though, but still it's made a huge difference. It forces me to wash the dishes regularly, at each meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
Regarding the mirrors: if you have an ikea near you they sell a 4-pack of little mirrors with double sided tape to mount them. We used them in our bathroom to stick a little mirror at kid level because ours are too high up.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/39151700
Thanks for the link! Still not sure if it will work on my wall, but I'm going to give it some thought and see if I can figure something out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page