National Hanging Out (your laundry) Day - Mothering Forums
The Mindful Home > National Hanging Out (your laundry) Day
crunchymomofmany's Avatar crunchymomofmany 11:13 AM 04-18-2008
Tomorrow (Saturday the 19th) is National Hanging Out Day. I intend to hang out my clothes and then "hang out" in the sun and watch them dry...how 'bout you?

mareleigh's Avatar mareleigh 11:16 AM 04-18-2008
sounds like a plan to me!
hanno's Avatar hanno 11:17 AM 04-18-2008
I'm in!
Limabean1975's Avatar Limabean1975 11:19 AM 04-18-2008
Spring weather finally hit hard enough and I started hanging my laundry out again a few days ago. I love it - our line is attached to the house outside a door on the second floor and it's kind of therapeutic for me to get out there on the dining room roof and set my laundry out in the wind, high up above the yard. When it's dry, it smells FABULOUS.

Though if any one has any tips for all the lint & cat hair it's covered in (that the dryer takes care of in the winter), it could only get more perfect.
Alkenny's Avatar Alkenny 12:09 PM 04-18-2008
It's supposed to rain here tomorrow, but it's in the high 70's and sunshiney today so I'm taking advantage of it NOW and hanging laundry out.
lilylove's Avatar lilylove 12:17 PM 04-18-2008
Same here, dry and sunny today. I better get busy washing and hanging
slsurface's Avatar slsurface 04:52 PM 04-18-2008
I have clothes lines in my basement, so every day is hang your laundry day...rain or shine! A must when you live in a cold, cloudy, and rainy climate.
dillonandmarasmom's Avatar dillonandmarasmom 05:13 PM 04-18-2008
Just another day of line dryin' here. But, it is so good to imagine all those folks who don't typically do it discovering how great it is! And, my clothes dry so much more efficiently.

Soak up the sun!!
Redheaded_Momma's Avatar Redheaded_Momma 05:45 PM 04-18-2008
I will get the cd's out on the line when I get home. DS can play in the grass and I can get dry dipes and some sun!!! YEah spring!!
snowbunny's Avatar snowbunny 06:36 PM 04-18-2008
We're participating. Our covenants disallow clotheslines, so we're participating in protest.
the_lissa's Avatar the_lissa 06:49 PM 04-18-2008
Good timing as my province is set to veto bans on clotheslines.
abomgardner417's Avatar abomgardner417 06:54 PM 04-18-2008
Shoot...I already did all mine today. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow anyway.
nextcommercial's Avatar nextcommercial 08:02 PM 04-18-2008
I do this most of the year anyway. (but, I live in Phoenix)

I absolutley LOVE the way my laundry smells after it's hung out to dry.

I'm not allowed to do towels, or my husband's clothes though. He's a fussy butt.
nextcommercial's Avatar nextcommercial 08:03 PM 04-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Good timing as my province is set to veto bans on clotheslines.
Bans on clothes lines? Really? Why?
the_lissa's Avatar the_lissa 08:28 PM 04-18-2008
You know how some HOAs ban clothes lines? While our province is making a law vetoing those bans, so even if your HOA has a clothesline ban, you can still use a clothesline.

It is apparently a really common thing for HOAs, more so in the states I hear.
barose's Avatar barose 09:06 PM 04-18-2008
It was unseasonably warm last week so we did it three days in a row.

I wont be around to do laundry tomorrow (working all-day today) but I plan on doing it Sunday but it will be overcast so I still may have to put everything in the dryer for a few minutes.

I guess I'm the only one who hates the way line dryed clothes smells.

Once the Aerial Spraying starts, I will not do that much hanging...
laketahoemama's Avatar laketahoemama 12:13 AM 04-19-2008
I am so in.

I've been itchin' to pull my line out and now I have my cue. Thanks
Danielle283's Avatar Danielle283 12:20 PM 04-19-2008
Good timing, I planned on line drying the load thats washing right now anyways!
IndigoRayne's Avatar IndigoRayne 12:31 PM 04-19-2008
I'm going to do a load now!
SeekingJoy's Avatar SeekingJoy 03:28 PM 04-19-2008
I have one load drying now, and one in the wash.
LaffNowCryLater's Avatar LaffNowCryLater 04:34 PM 04-19-2008
We do this anyways I drag my wooden rack outside, but I want to get a little clothesline too.
llamalluv's Avatar llamalluv 07:40 PM 04-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
Though if any one has any tips for all the lint & cat hair it's covered in (that the dryer takes care of in the winter), it could only get more perfect.
I have no ideas for the lint, but for the cat hair....you'll need a razor (for the cat) and a LOT of band-aids (for you).
Alkenny's Avatar Alkenny 08:54 PM 04-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I have no ideas for the lint, but for the cat hair....you'll need a razor (for the cat) and a LOT of band-aids (for you).

Redifer's Avatar Redifer 11:20 PM 04-19-2008
It's funny this came up, because since we moved, we have nowhere for our (rent-to-own) washer and dryer, so we haven't picked them up. But, we also don't have any money for a laundromat... sooooo...

I've been washing clothes in a washtub, by hand, and ringing them out with a ringer and stringing them along my porch on our homemade clothes line (Thanks much to my mechanic husband, who constructed it out of bungee cords and ratchet straps).

I was just telling him the other day that I actually LIKE doing it this way, and have no intention of going back to regular laundry anytime soon!!
alysmommy2004's Avatar alysmommy2004 01:16 AM 04-20-2008
Ah man, I wish I had seen this earlier! I did diaper laundry today and I didn't even think to line dry it even though we're finally getting some warm weather.
Rhiannon Feimorgan's Avatar Rhiannon Feimorgan 02:02 AM 04-20-2008
I won't be able to hang a load just yet but the pole for my new clothesline is supposed to get here on monday so I'll be making up for lost time all summer.
hipmummy's Avatar hipmummy 02:08 AM 04-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
I have clothes lines in my basement, so every day is hang your laundry day...rain or shine! A must when you live in a cold, cloudy, and rainy climate.

We do that as well, I have trie dteh outdoor thing and I find I end up wasting more money. Everytime I hang clothe sout they get pooped on collect pollen or bug splat! YUck! Anyone have any suggestions? Presently, I toss everything inthe drier to get the lintof for 15 monute sor so and then rnack or hang dry in the basement. Diapers always go the full dry as they get crunchy.
Rockies5's Avatar Rockies5 02:21 AM 04-20-2008
every day is national hang out your laundry day here. I only did 4 loads today though

can you all tell me what temps you hang your wash out? I'm having a secret (secret because she knows nothing about it) competition with the million year old lady across the street from me. Who can get their wash out first, who will hang it out at the lowest temp ect...

I've had mine out at 35degrees if it's sunny. it does dry, just takes longer....

otherwise we hang in the basement.

the birds somehow all aim for the car and leave the clothes alone.
barose's Avatar barose 05:29 AM 04-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies5 View Post
every day is national hang out your laundry day here. I only did 4 loads today though

can you all tell me what temps you hang your wash out? I'm having a secret (secret because she knows nothing about it) competition with the million year old lady across the street from me. Who can get their wash out first, who will hang it out at the lowest temp ect...

I've had mine out at 35degrees if it's sunny. it does dry, just takes longer....

otherwise we hang in the basement.

the birds somehow all aim for the car and leave the clothes alone.
We hang it out when its sunny no matter what the temp is. But when its overcast, its kind of pointless. We get a lot of fog and clouds in our neighborhood on those days and they never get dry. I hang all of my delicate clothes in the hose though. Unfortunately heavy towels go in the dryer.
Up