Why a $20 water bottle? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the coupon code is still working for reusablebags.com but they are seriously out of stock on LOTS of things. I ended up ordering for the kids from there, and I got one from amazon.com for myself.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#62 of 88 Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM

just used the code myself. They finally had the KK sippys back in stock. would have purchased more more they dont have much to purchase.
#63 of 88 Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Walgreens sells a SS bottle for $2.50. 750ml Why not buy that?

If they are the same ones that Walmart had, it's because they aren't as durable. I got one for DF while I waited to be able to afford a KK, (looks like it'll be a Father's day gift) and in three weeks it's gotten visibly beat up and tilts to the side now.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#64 of 88 Old 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ohhh, off to shop I told dh yesterday that I wanted to take some of our tax $$ and FINALLY invest in ss bottles for the whole family. Yay!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#65 of 88 Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
If they are the same ones that Walmart had, it's because they aren't as durable. I got one for DF while I waited to be able to afford a KK, (looks like it'll be a Father's day gift) and in three weeks it's gotten visibly beat up and tilts to the side now.
I honestly haven't found the KK to be all that durable. I probably tend to be a little rougher on my water bottles than average, but just a LITTLE rougher. I dropped it once on some metal grated steps, and it's now dented and barely stands up (it's kinda like a weeble-wobble). Maybe Siggs are better, but they look to me to be about the same to me.

I like the idea of a stainless steel water bottle, but I just haven't found one I'm happy with, durability-wise.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#66 of 88 Old 05-03-2008, 04:46 PM

So far I'm loving my KK. It just arrived last weekend. I got the carry strap for it, since i know we'll be going to Vegas this summer. I put it on right away and it works pretty well to keep my hand from freezing when I'm holding it. I was using Rubbermaid bottles before and I wound up having to dump my water at least twice a day if I'd left it sitting because it would start tasting off. I'm not having that issue with the KK, and it's considerably bigger than my RM, so the water sits longer.

I am fairly careful with it though, and have yet to drop it. I carry it in my purse with my tiffin... my boss has asked me several times if my stainless eat-ware is camping equipment.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#67 of 88 Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Although I have 2 siggs for my kid's water for their lunchboxes (I fill it halfway, freeze it, add water in the morning for a drinkable coldpack which they almost never drink anyway), I'm really not sold on drinking out of stainless steel every day. For my own water when I carry it (which isn't very often) I fill a wide-mouthed mason jar with ice cubes and water, with a plastic screw-on top. I'd rather drink out of glass than metal (or especially plastic) any day.
#68 of 88 Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 PM

Silly question, but do the 1 liter bottles fit in a cup holder? Or should I stick with the .6 liter?
#69 of 88 Old 05-03-2008, 11:41 PM

Our 1L Sigg fits in our car cup holder. We have an Accord, fwiw.
#70 of 88 Old 05-03-2008, 11:54 PM

My 27 ounce KK arrived last week. I have no complaints so far but a question. It's still kinda chilly here now so it's not an issue but once it warms up considering it's stainless steel won't the water inside get really hot? So do you have to buy the insulated sleeve to keep in cold or is there a comparable one as I found them kinda high IMO.
#71 of 88 Old 05-04-2008, 12:02 AM

I have a 32 oz SS bottle from Guyot Designs and I would say even in hot weather, it keeps the water much cooler than a plastic bottle would. If you left it in a hot car for a very extended period of time, it might get warm, but unless it's on a direct heat source, or in full sun, it would not get any warmer than a bottle made of any other substance.

We've had our bottles for a year now and I love mine--I'm tough on it, and even though it's a bit dented and has bowed out on the bottom from being dropped, it still works great for me and looks good. My DH keeps his at work and isn't as tough on his, so his is like new. For us, it was worth the money.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#72 of 88 Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 AM

I just got a sigg for dh for his b-day and we love it. The taste of the water its very refreshing. We tend to be rough on things and this is standing up great.
#73 of 88 Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Silly question, but do the 1 liter bottles fit in a cup holder? Or should I stick with the .6 liter?
I don't think it would fit in my car cupholder (Acura MDX). I have .6 liter and it just fits perfectly.
#74 of 88 Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
FREEACME will also get you a reusable shopping bag if you spend more than $50.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#75 of 88 Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Great thread. A question I haven't seen anyone address is this: How hard is it to keep the SIGGs and similar bottles clean? The mouth looks so small.

Thanks!

Mama to 8 yo ds and 4 yo dd.treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifjumpers.gifbellyhair.gif
#76 of 88 Old 05-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama13 View Post
Great thread. A question I haven't seen anyone address is this: How hard is it to keep the SIGGs and similar bottles clean? The mouth looks so small.

Thanks!
I ordered the Sigg bottle brush with my bottles and with those it's really very easy. The small brush is for the top and the large brush is for the bottom.
I haven't tried cleaning them without the bottle brush though.
#77 of 88 Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the link for the Enviro ones, Dogmom! I had Kleen Kanteens in my shopping cart on amazon for the past 2 weeks, but just couldn't bring myself to spend $50 (w/shipping) on them. Enviros were half that.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#78 of 88 Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 AM

because when you fill it with ice and water it sweats so much and is very cold on your hands (like holding an ice cube).

My DH doesn't like his SIGG because you can't squeeze it. He rides his bike to work everyday (16 miles each way) and he doesn' suck the water out of the bottle but rather he squeezes the water into his mouth. You can't do that with a SIGG unfortunately.

I made some insulated water bottle holders from pre-quilted cotton fabric:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97reddodge

I don't like the sport's cap my bottle came with so I bought a childs cap. I wear lip gloss and I don't like getting it on the cap so I usually remove the cap to drink my water.

I worry about the plastic the caps are made from.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11 1/2, 10 1/2, 8 1/2, and almost 5
#79 of 88 Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medaroge View Post
I bought a bunch of New Wave Enviro bottles that were colored and the colored coating flakes off and gets everywhere! I dont think that is very safe, unless you can get all of the coating off, which I have not been able to do. Grrr, so just a heads up.
and it's from my 11 1/2yo ds hitting the bottom of his bottle on the concrete sidewalk!?! He has Asperger's Syndrome and cannot resist doing this. Amazingly it only has one teeny tiny dent on the side from this rough treatment.

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 11 1/2, 10 1/2, 8 1/2, and almost 5
#80 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Anyone have a new coupon code for reusablebags.com ?

I think the other one is expired

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
#81 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyndmamaof4 View Post
Anyone have a new coupon code for reusablebags.com ?

I think the other one is expired
it should still work......it worked for me yesterday, and it's showing that it doesn't expire until 4-2-09. did you try this one: f70838 ??

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#82 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 PM

And I bought them all using coupon codes but STILL-.... I do not think they are worth the money I paid for them. I think that the Nalgalene ones you can get for a lot less money are probably just fine. i had to return one sigg becuase the paint chipped off it so bad and we have only had them for a few months... they do look cool but I think they are selling a trendy product. You are paying for trendy... Guess it is like a $30 diaper- sure it is
"good for the environement" but that is hard to justify.
#83 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 PM

i am thinking about getting some of these, anyone use them?
http://www.ecowaterbottle.com/
#84 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom View Post
i am thinking about getting some of these, anyone use them?
http://www.ecowaterbottle.com/
I like the look of those! I wonder if their paint/outer coloring is more durable than Siggs? I prefer the Kleen Kanteen over the Siggs because the Siggs are just not that durable. The paint chips off and they get dings really easily, plus the narrow mouth makes it harder to clean. I think that water tastes much better out of a metal bottle, even if it rolls around my car all week. I had to refresh the water in my plastic bottle at least once a day. I won't go back to plastic, but I probably won't by another Sigg brand either.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#85 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I carry it in my purse with my tiffin... my boss has asked me several times if my stainless eat-ware is camping equipment.
That's dd's lunch too: canvas bag, tiffin, sigg. No plastic in sight. The kids at preschool are used to it by now, but we'll see how it goes in kindergarten.

Sorry for my utter failure at multi-quoting.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#86 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aolinsmama View Post
i know the aluminum is coated, on the inside, (sigg) and sigg says if it is dinged the inner coating isn't affected.
What is it coated with?!? I can only assume it's plastic... And if so, does that make a Sigg any safer than a plastic bottle?

Just curious about this. We are about to purchase some new bottles, and I was looking at the KK and Sigg.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#87 of 88 Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn View Post
That's dd's lunch too: canvas bag, tiffin, sigg. No plastic in sight. The kids at preschool are used to it by now, but we'll see how it goes in kindergarten.

Sorry for my utter failure at multi-quoting.
WHat's a tiffin? I was at a function today and they were handing out those plastic water bottles. When I told them I didn't use plastic water bottles anymore they looked at me like I was nuts. Those ecobottles are a great price I think I will order some of those for the kids. Wonder if I can find a coup[on code.
#88 of 88 Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Here's a discount code I arrange for a local group for reuseablebags.com:
Please be aware that the code is only good from 5-7-08 to 5-21-08 and is a one time per person code.
33e6a9 (note that it is casesensitive).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page