Do you all have a food/supplies stockpile? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to put together an emergency supply of food and other supplies (I just watched a thing on the news about worldwide rice shortages and the fact that Costco is rationing rice sales ).

Do you all do this? What do you have in your "kit"? How long are you prepared for? Are you prepared to be totally self-sufficient or just "bad storm prepared*"?

* I say bad storm, because I've lived in hurricane territory for a good chunk of my life, so I know about those sort of preparations, but not much about collapse of society preparations .
#2 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM

I'm just starting my stockpile this week. I have spent more on groceries this week than I have before but everything I bought was on sale. My deep freezer is now stocked to the brim. I now realize that I need a larger freezer.

I'm not a catastrophic planner, I just want to be supplied for any weeks when our budget is especially lean. Also, I want to be able to be fully stocked so I can take advantage of great sales when I don't technically "need" the item.

banana.gif

#3 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't stockpile except for a few things. I have a months worth of frozen veggies. I also have a plastic tub with cans of food in it. They are all things I would eat right out of the can if I had to if there was no heat source available.

I do what greenluv is doing. If something is on sale, I stock up. I take advantage of any sale I see of things I use on a regular basis. I think the key to stockpiling is buying things you would actually eat. Then you can rotate your stockpile into your pantry and it won't ever go to waste or expire.

I have about 20 cans of chicken broth, 30 cans of beans, 10 boxes of pasta, 6 boxes of crackers, 15 cans of tomato sauce etc. I don't have a pantry, and we have very few cupboards, so I have to really limit how much stuff I buy.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#4 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 AM

I'm starting to here, mostly rice, flour, canned goods. I have the freezer space and a pantry..

Quote:
but not much about collapse of society preparations
This freaks me out.. and has rattled me a little.. DH says I'm over worrying.. but it just seems like everything is going to hell in a handbasket lately..
#5 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee3 View Post
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to put together an emergency supply of food and other supplies (I just watched a thing on the news about worldwide rice shortages and the fact that Costco is rationing rice sales ).
Costco is limiting rice sales because individual buyers are stockpiling and not leaving enough rice for their business customers (like resturants). So aren't you just perpetuating the problem, if you decide to stockpile?

Single mom of 2 boys
#6 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM

I have started a deep pantry and hope to have about 6 months worth of food put by for emergencies.
#7 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Costco is limiting rice sales because individual buyers are stockpiling and not leaving enough rice for their business customers (like resturants). So aren't you just perpetuating the problem, if you decide to stockpile?
The reason people are stockpiling rice is because the price has gone up considerably due to less supply, which is caused by crop failures, the use of ethanol (I think farmers are growing more corn instead of other grains), and the increase in fuel costs. In other parts of the world, this is causing food riots. Here, we just have people stocking up in case the price increases even more.

I didn't really mean I was going to put away a six month's supply worth of rice, specifically . I was just speculating (probably in a rather paranoid way) that if things keep heading down the crapper, we may reach a point where we have some severe food shortages or infrastructure issues (collapse?). I thought it might be good to have some sort of stash put away just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargirl
I have started a deep pantry and hope to have about 6 months worth of food put by for emergencies.
What sorts of things do you have in there? Mainly canned stuff or do you have a lot of dry goods?

For those of you who have supplies, what sorts of circumstances are you preparing for? Storms, economic catastrophes on a personal scale, economic catastrophes on a global scale? I'm especially curious about this question for those of you who have stocked freezers. We live in a tiny apartment and don't have room for a freezer (beyond what's on the top section of our refrigerator), so that option is out for us. I was mainly thinking about non-perishables.
#8 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM

I always keep roughly 6 months of basic food and hygiene supplies on hand (even when I lived in Student Housing, and had to get realllly creative with storage! )

I live in Montana, and the roads (even in town) can be bad 6 or 7 months of the year. I store enough supplies so that I am not forced to drive on the bad roads for something I need (loo roll is especially important to me!)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#9 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 07:29 PM

We live in an 800 sq. foot apartment. Our kitchen is 8x8 with very little cabinetry.

I turned our 2nd bedroom (the play room) closet into a pantry. I put a wide four shelves structure in there, and I have a couple of tupperware bins and also the top shelf of the closet (that was there before). I've been working on this since February. I still have plenty of room left over.

Removing list
#10 of 22 Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM

On a personal level, I'm in the process of cleaning out everything I don't need to free as much space as possible for storage of grocery items. This means I'm getting rid of my 2 desks and so I can get a computer armoire to compact things in one small area. I've also cleaned out everything that isn't absolutely necessary and moving things around to use the household space more efficiently. I am being ruthless because this is about priorities for us. I can always make a little more room but I only have a finite amount of cash, you know what I mean??

My deep freeze is small but when I priced larger units today, they were in the $500 range so I think I may just buy a second smaller freezer for $150, which would give me more space than one large unit. I don't have to pay my own utilities so I can get away with this otherwise I'd have to worry about the electric bill.

I am going to shop only sales and buy only those items we use regularly that will keep on a shelf or in the freezer for a decent amount of time. Doing all of this means I've had to reevaluate how I store items in my kitchen and pantry. I have begun to use those Green Bags so I can get the longest life out of my fruits and veggies. I'm not sure I really expected to have to do so much planning and organizing, but it's really necessary for me.

My pantry has canned goods, juices, pasta, bulk sugar and flour-which I put in wrapping paper bins I got on sale after christmas. They hold flour and sugar very well.

banana.gif

#11 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 12:11 AM

My parents just dismantled their Y2K supplies about 6 months ago. The last of their food went to friends. (My parents moved and couldn't take the food with them.)

When/if we have a house, we will do a little more stockpiling. What little we do now is mainly because we don't go into the city that often and we're too lazy to go to the grocery store here every week. In fact, I haven't been to the store in at least 6 weeks. I'm sure I'll be shocked at some of the prices when I finally get there.

I'll have a conversation with my mother and ask what she thinks about stockpiling, now that she's been through it once.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#12 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM

For years now I've kept a well-stocked pantry. I don't really talk about it much and I don't feel comfortable giving an actual inventory. A wise man I know says that if you prep (we don't really "prep" in the strictest sense of the word as we are pacifists and don't own firearms) for a SHTF scenario, to keep your mouth shut about it - and I do to people IRL, and don't say much here. I will say that we keep a couple hundred pounds of rice that we rotate through. That's about a year's worth for us - we've always kept that much and I'm not running out to buy extra because of the media hype. We eat it *a lot* and buy it *a lot*. We also eat a lot of peanut butter and we have 33lbs. of that right now - and I'm not panic buying any extra of that. Again, about a year's worth. Our canned goods number in the hundreds and we get a side of beef and pig every year, which fills one of our two freezers. Some things I don't have a year's worth... flour (we don't eat a lot of baked goods), canned meat (relying on the power staying on so we can eat our frozen goods), and cheese. I keep about 2 month's worth of UHT milk that we rotate through.

Katheek - looking at what you've listed, I'd guess you have 4 or less months' worth of most items. Things like the molasses, oats, and peanut butter, probably 6 or 7 months. Of course, it depends entirely on what you guys eat. Have you kept account of everything you eat over a two week period? That's the best way to estimate. I'd keep quiet about your preps to others, though. Most people don't have 2 week's worth of food in their house.

I think it's really important that people start putting food by, but don't do it out of panic. I've heard others say that this is actually what hoarding is (panic buying). Especially if you buy things that you won't use. If you don't eat rice, don't go buy it just because there is a world-wide shortage. Keep your head and when you go to the grocery store, buy a couple of extra cans... soon you'll have a nice little stockpile. Good luck!
#13 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 10:19 AM

There is prudent buying, and panic buying. Prudent is buying extra of things your family normally eats, panic is buying the rice even if you don't eat it because there are shortages in some part of the world. I try to have some extra food on hand for all reasons- we are in a storm prone area, dh works in a sector that may be seeing a downturn and the economic outlook isn't rosy at this point. As the area where we live is prone to storms and power outages so at this point I don't have a large freezer. If you do buy food for your pantry, buy nutritious things. I see way too many people at warehouse clubs buying junk food in bulk. I'd rather feed my family beans and rice than "hot pockets." Also, if you lose your job, unemployment can take a few weeks to kick in so extra food would be good to have. You may or may not be able to get other assistance quickly. Our local food pantry has nearly empty shelves- I was in there a few days ago and it was disturbing to see. Instead of taking the kids to Chuck e Cheese, do them a favor and fill up a few shelves in your pantry instead.
#14 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 01:17 PM

I like to have a few months of food on hand no matter what. We have no income for two months every year, and it's nice to have a cushion as far as grocery buying goes, especially in the middle of the winter when the price of produce goes so high.

I keep pantry items like rice and flour and canned stuff, plus home-canned, home-dried, and a lot of frozen stuff in the deep freeze. I don't hoard. I just buy a few extra of whatever I'm buying anyway, when it's relatively non-perishable, and rotate through, so that I always have a bit on hand.

I'm a big believer in peak oil and radical climate change and the collapse of the western economy as we know it. I see the world around me going to hell, and i like the idea of a little extra security for me and mine. Most people IRL think I'm rather nutty about it. So we also keep a large stock of seeds, that we rotate through, and save seeds every year. And lately I've been growing my pantry storage to include some more long-term items, and stockpiles of stuff we might not normally eat but would be handy if fresh stuff would be unavailable, like commercially canned produce and meats.

My big dilemma, that I can't get over, is that both me and DH are prescription drug-dependent, and I've found it impossible to convince the docs and pharmacy and the idiot insurance company to allow me to keep stockpiles of the drugs we need. So in any seriously bad situation, we're screwed. I worry about this a lot.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 03:05 PM

I've always been a compulsive grocery shopper. I don't have months and months worth of food stockpiled, but if need be probably a month or so on top of whatever I have planned for the current week. I've just recently started stockpiling sale items that we use in a typical week. I don't have a ton built up yet, but I plan to have at least 6 months worth of staples on hand at any given time. Because we live in hurricane territory, I don't stockpile frozen items beyond more than a month (or a little more if the deal was that great). I don't think I could handle losing it all when the power goes. We don't have a generator yet. We keep saying we'll buy one but never do. Maybe we will this June when the tax free hurricane week comes rolling around. /shrug Also, we left our deep freeze behind last time we moved cross country. We have to full sized refrigerators and a small fridge, but I use the freezers more.
#16 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
So we also keep a large stock of seeds, that we rotate through, and save seeds every year.
brilliant... WTF was I thinking... why haven't I done this yet? I have 1 season worth, but not enough to live on.

I have an end of the world food storage 6 mos at least. everything in my house is there is at least triple. I don't have a chest freezer, I wish I did. I just don't have the room.

The only thing that scares the $hit out of me is that we live in the city. I have no room to do what I need to do. Too many stupid people to wreck things and ZERO room for animals. I have thought about getting rabbits. Thats about the only thing that I can get.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 22 Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 PM

We have a decent stockpile, but not necessarily for a SHTF scenario, rather because it is a frugal way to shop for a family of 8. I do coupons and CVS, Walgreens, etc and get stuff virtually free, so when I get a deal I need to get as much as possible so if I don't get it virtually free for a while I don't need to pay full price. I spend ~$150/mo for everything (food, HBA, pets, papergoods, etc, although that has been creeping up lately.) My single MIL spends more than that! When DH almost died last summer and was off on disability for 6 mo, I didn't have to worry that we would starve. We ate a lot from the pantry (except the week he was on dialysis, that was an expensive diet!!!) But now I need to restock somewhat, but that's okay. I definitely agree with those who say to buy only what you would eat, and while healthy food is good to stock, be sure to have plenty of comfort food. When you are under stress a little comfort goes a long way! We also live in the sticks so I don't run to the store for every little thing and when the power goes out we're usually low on the totem pole for getting back up so we do have some off-grid supplies. We have a generator, but for anything long term its not really worth it, especially at $4/gallon for gas. We need to get up to speed on water storage. We have a few cases of bottled, but we really need at least a 5 gallon jug of water for each of us, plus the pets, plus bottled water. We camp and have a camper, so we are pretty good for those supplies, too. I'd love to get a side of beef for the freezer and we are planning a kick-a$$ garden this summer and will be a canning food this fall! We are in the middle of the breadbasket of America and most of our church are farmers (Sunday morning garb at our church can be overalls!) and among my good friends I have chicken beef and hog farmers and lots of grain, orchard and veggie commercial farmers. So I'm not horribly worried about starving, just missing out on Avacados, bananas and citrus, those don't grow well in MI. We also need to get our Go bags packed.

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
#18 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Currently, I'm evaluating our needs regarding a stockpile. I already buy extra during sales on freezer items and non-perishables, but I really need a better system and one that more fully takes into account our needs.

We are also going to be gardening a good bit to stock up our freezer and pantry.
#19 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjelika View Post
Currently, I'm evaluating our needs regarding a stockpile. I already buy extra during sales on freezer items and non-perishables, but I really need a better system and one that more fully takes into account our needs.

We are also going to be gardening a good bit to stock up our freezer and pantry.
That is exactly what we are doing, plus adding things that are freeze dried and adding water storage. We bought a Steripen as well. We have about a 3 month unit right now, and have budgeted 150 per month for freezed dried food storage until we have a years supply.
#20 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM

This thread inspired me to organize my entire basement pantry today. I feel like I really accomplished something and now know exactly what items I have and what I lack.. the next step.. organizing the deep freezers!!
#21 of 22 Old 04-28-2008, 11:40 PM

We are buying a freezer and plan to stock it all summer. Also stock it with stuff on sale. We are also thinking of buying some grains, etc. All things we use. Money is tight so if we can stock up on things on sale, it can help us get through times when things are tighter. I'm not in a panic, I'm just thinking ahead.
#22 of 22 Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaggonerfamily View Post
We also need to get our Go bags packed.

Please excuse my ignorance, what is "Go Bags"???
Just curious!!!
Clowds

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page