DH and weed killer... Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done my best to not have any chemicals on my yard the last 5 years. DH comes home one day last week and announces he is going to do buy weed killer, because supposedly all those green plants covering our front yard are weeds not grass. Its green and doesn't hurt to walk on, what's the problem?? Alternatives needed to deter him. He wants a golf green lawn, how can we achieve this w/o poisin?

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Try pouring boiling water on the offending plants... It will kill them without toxins. Vinegar works, too, but it will brown them and not look golf-green.

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 04-29-2008, 01:26 PM

You could try a weed burner!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM

The only time I would use weed killer is for severe infestations of poison ivy. I would never use it for anything else.

I think lawns with a mix of things are prettier than plain green lawns.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I agree entirely with you Meowee, but DH hates the wildflowers and such that grow on our lawn. My gmother has a neighbor who has the golf lawn, suddenly DH is all about my lawn this year. I have always been the one taking care of the lawn, so I'm very annoyed right now. Will boiling kill everything. I mean pretty much our entire lawn is not the grass he wants.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Weeds only grow in a lawn that is not healthy. Killing them all won't create the lawn he's desiring. If he wants a green perfect lawn then he should focus on increasing the overall environment for healthy grass. Get the soil tested, aerate the soil, add 1/2 inch of compost, work it in with a garden rake, reseed heavily over the existing lawn, water well, and provide twice yearly compost tea (or organic fertilizer) applications. You can check out Organic Bob's website for more info and resources. http://www.organicbob.com/

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm

User Tag List