weekly kitchen prep - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm trying to get more orgainized as far as our meals and our snacks go. i was wondering what sort of things you all do every week (or few days) to prep food to make it easy to grab?
#2 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I chop a bunch of veggies at the beginning of the week and put them in teeny containers and stick them in the fridge.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 PM

:
#4 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I'll chop veggies, too. I try to make a double batch of mini muffins on Sunday morning to snack on the beginning of the week. And granola too, for yougurt or just snacking plain. Sometimes I'll divide up raisens, crackers or nuts into small ziplocks to just grab and go, but usually I'm lazy and just fill them up when we are heading out. Thats about it. Mostly, I just try to meal plan and always be looking for ways to use the same ingredients and leftovers for new meals (that don't taste like leftovers! ).

I'd love to see some other ideas.
#5 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

okay i've started on my own! thanks for your replies so far;

it took me about 45 minutes from start to clean up to;

bake 2 doz choc chip cookies
hard boil a dozen eggs
cut up strawberries
pineapple
and carrot sticks
make 2 gallons of tea

so i feel like i am off to a good start
#6 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM

I always aim to do better at pre-prep stuff. I'm doing good just to get in the weekly grocery trip.
#7 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM

I pick a Grain of The Week and make a big pot of it on Sunday. This week is farro, last week was whole wheat couscous, the week before was brown rice. It is the base for all my meals.
#8 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Fek&fuzz, the grain of the week idea sounds really cool! I wanted to add that if it's difficult to find time to pre chop everything, then just just do extra while you are working on dinner for a meal on monday. I use yogurt and sourcream containers to hold the veggies.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#9 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Great ideas!

Once a week, usually on Sunday or Monday after grocery shopping, I do the following prep:

I make homemade vanilla yogurt,
bake something for breakfasts (muffins, baked oatmeal, soda bread, etc.)
blanch and freeze any veggies from last week that we aren't finishing quickly enough
wash fruit and veggies just bought, chop as appropriate
make pizza shells, or a casserole (lasagne etc.)
grate cheddar or mozzarella
make homemade ice cream for family movie night

sometimes boil spaghetti or noodles
sometimes 2 litres of almond milk for smoothies
sometimes a pot of brown or wild rice (I am totally stealing that 'grain of the week' idea!)
sometimes bake bread or prep dough for flour tortillas (but lately I've been lazy and I've found some good deals)
In the summer, I make herbal teas for ice tea. (I should do that more!)
#10 of 26 Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 PM

OK I am totally inspired! :
Aubergine68, what is baked oatmeal?
#11 of 26 Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&c'smama View Post
Aubergine68, what is baked oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is the best breakfast food ever. We eat it for breakfast, my dd eats it after school cold with milk, etc. It is sort of like a crumbly cake.I found this recipe on MDC, but do you think I can find the original thread?

Here it is, copied from my recipe file, with apologies to the OP, as I didn't copy her username.

You can do lots of variations on this theme, different fruit purees and dried fruit, different kinds of milks, adding nuts, using ground nuts for part of the oatmeal, etc.

I always cut the sweetener WAY down, esp. if using applesauce. I find the original recipe too sweet:

Baked Oatmeal

Not crockpot, but have you tried baked oatmeal? It is freakin GOOD!! It is not mushy at all, more like a cake texture.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup applesauce (or veggie oil)
3/4 cup sweetner of your choice (sugar, Splenda, whatever)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 cups regular oats
1/2 cup raisins
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (I personally use the brown sugar splenda)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Beat together applesauce and sweetner of choice. Mix in eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, oatmeal. Beat well then stir in raisins. Pour into a lightly grease pie pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake in preheated oven until firm, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

I like mine served with milk and a drizzle of honey over the top!!
#12 of 26 Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM

:
I need to try that!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#13 of 26 Old 05-06-2008, 05:14 PM

I started drooling while reading that baked oatmeal recipe.

I was going to add that making pizza dough at the beginning of the week is really convienent. With the veggies already chopped and speggetti sauce out of a jar and DH loving to put the toppings on the pizza, its a super easy meal that makes everyone feel special.

But now I'm really wondering about Aubergine68's pizza shells.

#14 of 26 Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 AM

I boil a dozen eggs at a time and I am going to start making big batches of crockpot oatmeal again.

:::
#15 of 26 Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 AM

Baked Oatmeal looks wonderful! I am going to try it next week... : thanks for the recipe!
#16 of 26 Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 PM

: i SERIOUSLY need to start doing this more!

does anyone happen to have a quick/easy/healthy pizza dough recipe handy that they'd be willing to share? right now frozen pizzas are our "go to" meal, but i'd prefer to make it myself. thanks!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#17 of 26 Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 AM

I usually make a couple soups every week. I try to make one a bean soup and one something else (like potato or vegetable). We use them for lunches or to fill out a dinner. (Other than potato soup, my kids don't eat much of the soup, so it's just for DH and me.)
#18 of 26 Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
: i SERIOUSLY need to start doing this more!

does anyone happen to have a quick/easy/healthy pizza dough recipe handy that they'd be willing to share? right now frozen pizzas are our "go to" meal, but i'd prefer to make it myself. thanks!
I have one using yogurt and bread flour. I'll try to post it when I get home.

#19 of 26 Old 05-08-2008, 09:01 PM

: I used to do some prep the night before but have fallen out of the habit. I'd love ideas for what can be done at the beginning of the week to make things easier.
#20 of 26 Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 PM

I will make a big batch of either french toast or pancakes over the weekend and then freeze them. I was buying the frozen ones for convienience and then realised how much cheaper it is to make it on my own and freeze.

I also do a daily planner for the week and stick it on the fridge. Then i will plan our dinners out accordingly. For example something fast if there is an evening activity, something home cooked and longer to make on a night we're all home. Then, i know ahead of time what that night's meal will be.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#21 of 26 Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#22 of 26 Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Our DD is in school, so after dinner on Sunday evening while I am cleaning up the kitchen, DH & DD prepare her snacks for the week and lunch for the next day or two. If dinner is later than usual, I'll work with her while DH cooks. (He generally cooks more than I do and I generally clean up more than he does.)

We have a family of three and many recipes are for more servings than we eat. I use those leftovers as lunches for me. Some meals, though, such as London broil, will become something else a day or two later, such as fajitas (with London broil). The accompanying foods are very different, so it tastes like a completely different meal. Extra grilled chicken, for instance, will later go into chicken and cheese enchiladas.

The first person to use part of a veggie for something usually chops it up completely and puts it in a sealable glass dish on a shelf in the fridge versus back in veggie drawer. These are then used for our nightly salads, which are then different most nights to keep boredom to a minimum.

On weekends, we'll often have homemade pancakes of some kind one morning. Whoever makes them will make extra and we'll freeze them for DD to have something more interesting a few mornings before school. When I make homemade pancakes, I typically also make homemade "syrup", which resembles a fruit sauce more than a true syrup. I freeze the extra in small portions (about an ounce?) and use those in smoothies and as sweetener-substitutes (depends on how important color is, though, since we tend to prefer berry sauces/syrups and those are DARK). Also, when I plan to make pancakes, I measure out the dry ingredients in advance and store it in a sealed container on the counter to remind me. I label it with a piece of masking tape and have been known to toss it in the freezer for a later date if something comes up.

Last Fall, we moved out of our home for three full weeks due to remodeling and repairs. We only moved a few minutes away to my dad's house, but we had to remove all of our food and most of our belongings. We ate from our fridge, freezer, and pantry for a month or more beforehand and we made two meals at a time for two weeks prior (eating one that night and freezing the other one for our time out of our house). Lasagna, chili, and chicken enchiladas worked very well. The ground beef and chicken used in those meals yielded several meals each, but we only cooked two meals at a time to keep the "chore" to a minimum. We found it was a lot of extra work to spend an entire day making meals for the freezer, but it was easy to just make two meals at the same time on any given night.

Boiled eggs are extremely versatile! We use them for egg salad sandwiches for lunch, deviled eggs for a party (usually what prompts me to boil extra), chopped up in our nightly salads, and added to tuna salad for a new flavor/texture. I also like them plain for breakfast or lunch, but I'm the only one in our family. LOL

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#23 of 26 Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Oh, I also grind my own flours for recipes. I make extra, label it, and freeze it.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#24 of 26 Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM

Pizza dough recipe (really late)

3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups bread flour
4 tbls sugar
cup and a half of water
half tablespoons yougurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (8 table spoons)
6 tsp gluten
1 tsp salt
4 tsp yeast (or a packet)

Basically I knead it all together in the stand mixer and let it rise in there. It makes for medium sized pizzas. I use nonfat yogurt, and sometimes leave out the gluten. You can reduce the amount of oil in the recipe, but I wouldnt go less than half, because it becomes impossible to work with and roll out then.

#25 of 26 Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
Pizza dough recipe (really late)

3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups bread flour
4 tbls sugar
cup and a half of water
half tablespoons yougurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (8 table spoons)
6 tsp gluten
1 tsp salt
4 tsp yeast (or a packet)

Basically I knead it all together in the stand mixer and let it rise in there. It makes for medium sized pizzas. I use nonfat yogurt, and sometimes leave out the gluten. You can reduce the amount of oil in the recipe, but I wouldnt go less than half, because it becomes impossible to work with and roll out then.

thank you so much for this!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#26 of 26 Old 05-15-2008, 02:27 PM

How long do cold salads keep? Like if I made pasta, potato, broccoli salad Sunday night to eat though out the week, would they be any good by Thursday or Friday?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page