Living in a Yurt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-11-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...I am new to this forum... and was wondering if anyone has lived in a yurt for an extended period of time with children? We have 4 and would like to aim for a two year time frame in a yurt while researching eco friendly ways to build our home. Any ideas or suggestions would be great as we are just beginning to make our plans for an August move! Thanks!
#2 of 20 Old 05-11-2008, 06:44 PM

There are a few mamas on here that could help you. I know Addy'sMom is building a yurt right now.
You can make a yurt as simple or as elegant as you would like. Who says you can't have marble floors if you want to. ???

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#3 of 20 Old 05-11-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Wow that was fast!! I'd love to hear from her... it doesn't need to be fancy, just be able to withstand Vermont winters!!
#4 of 20 Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM

I've never been in a yurt, but have always been fascinated by them!
#5 of 20 Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

We've been looking at Pacific Yurts and Rainier but haven't made any decisions on it yet. We won't have the time to build our own yurt before winter but I understand that a 30' yurt can be put up (by willing friends and us) in a few days. The kids are stoked and wanting to help! If you've never been in one, there are some vacation places that rent them out... we stayed in one in Colorado. There are lots of them out west I understand.
#6 of 20 Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 AM

Have you seen this thread in the country living/ off the grid forum?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=890004

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#7 of 20 Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will check it out... !
#8 of 20 Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrebq View Post
Wow that was fast!! I'd love to hear from her... it doesn't need to be fancy, just be able to withstand Vermont winters!!
hey mama- we are in N. Vt too! I lived in a yurt in Northern California. It was fun for awhile, but we had an outdoor kitchen and "bathroom" and only cold water. If you do it- have warm water and at least a good outhouse and indoor kitchen! I know someone who lived in a yurt here- they stuffed straw bales under the platform to insulate, and hung wool blankets on the sides in addition to the reflectix insulation. A good woodstove and a lot of wood are a must. Have you ever lived through a winter here? Good luck!
#9 of 20 Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM

I would LOVE to live in a yurt. but my mainstream dh would have no part of that. I do as best as I can to live as green as we live.
#10 of 20 Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM

What's a yurt : like an RV?
#11 of 20 Old 06-15-2008, 06:06 PM

not quite

check out this webpage for the basic gist: www.coloradoyurt.com
#12 of 20 Old 06-15-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, we have spent 5 winters here and every year we say we will go to "all wood" but have relied on oil and in drafty farm houses it is really expensive and draining! The yurt we are buying is going to be home for 18 months or maybe longer--so yes, hot water will be a necessity!! After seeing some 24 and 30' yurts, they are so different from an RV... first of all, they aren't as portable... the deck is quite a project... and secondly, they are beautiful inside... whatever you want them to be. I have never lived in such a small space but am looking forward to it. P.S. The straw bale idea is great... you can always replace them if they get damp or whatever!
#13 of 20 Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 PM

I've always thought these were cool. My dream is to live in one on our own land while we build a cordwood house.

Not going to happen anytime soon...but one can dream, right?
#14 of 20 Old 06-16-2008, 02:13 AM

I'm curious about yurts too. Does anyone know what the outer material is made of? Is it PVC?

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#15 of 20 Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 AM

If anyone needs or want any Yurt books - I have 2 - i have doubles of them and I'm desperately trying to declutter! Pm me if you are interested. :

I am a Yurt fanatic! I have this 5 year plan for mortgage free living and i'm HOPING a Yurt will fit into that plan - we are going with some sort of 'temporary housing' option but not sure what yet. So I'd love to be part of a new Yurt thread and reading along and contributing what i can!
#16 of 20 Old 06-16-2008, 06:53 AM

how old are your children? we are considering a yurt in a few years, and the kids will be 8, 5, and 2. i wonder if it is doable.
#17 of 20 Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

As for with children, mine are 12, 11, 8, and 6 and we are hoping/thinking that they will thrive with the closeness we will have...and also, we are aspiring to have the kids really involved in the building of the interior. We found some hammock style "beds" that can be hooked onto the loft areas so with any luck...it will be an adventure for them!
Astrogirl...I would love one of your yurt books if it's still available...I already have Becky Kemery's Yurts" living in the Round. Also, we have the same goal of no mortgage...that is going to be such a nice feeling...and it will free us up to have more free time with the kids.
Laketahoemama-- the exteriors are normally canvas (many different kinds) on the outer wall of a lattice framework either made of maple or whatever.
Good luck with all yurt dwellers--or potential yurt dwellers!!
#18 of 20 Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM

I'm getting a yurt for our backyard once we move, since I dont think I can convince my apt complex to let me have one, lol. Obviously I wont be living in it, but I think I'm going to be homeschooling my dd this year and if we decide to continue, having the yurt as our homeschool space will be awsome! If not, it'd still make an awsome place for a big play room or possibly a work area for dh or....well, theres a lot of things we could use it for! And I can have some electricity out there too, along with the pellet stove we already have waiting. Maybe I should just stick all the kids out there....(kidding, lol)

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#19 of 20 Old 06-17-2008, 04:28 PM

We are saving money for the land right now! We hope to be living in our paid for Yurt on our paid for land within 3 short years! (2 if I get a job! lol!)

While we live in the Yurt, we will build a eco home (not sure which one yet), and pay for it with cash and build it ourselves. It will take 3-5 years to completely finish, but that is ok.

Mortgage Free Living -- here we come!

#20 of 20 Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM

It's great to see so many yurt (and potential yurt) dwellers! I think we'll probably opt for a yurt while we build our dream home, too. It's all part of the grand plan...

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page