Do I have to get a SIGG?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to get a couple of sports bottle type containers for the family, as we are trying to reduce our plastic use. Is there an alternative to the pricey SIGG that is still enviro and health conscious???

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
#2 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There are several other brands of aluminum bottles/canteens. All are fairly expensive, but the ones without a fancy outside layer cost a little less.

Another option is to find glass single-serving bottles in a size you like that have openings wide enough for a bottle brush, and wash and reuse them. I have some juice bottles I've been using for about 6 years now! My son does not use them very often, but he has been drinking from glass glasses daily since he was under a year old, and he has NEVER broken one by accident--the only times he's broken dishes have been when he was helping me wash dishes, got mad because I wouldn't let him pour water somewhere it doesn't belong, and expressed himself by throwing a dish into the sink on purpose. : Glass is not as out-of-the-question as you might think.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM

reuseablebags.com has coupons for 30% sometimes here on mothering.com and they have stainless steel drinking bottles/sippies.
#4 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM

I have 2 stainless steel straw cup for my kids. One is a foogo and the other is thermos brand. I prefer the thermos one because it doesn't leak as much.

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#5 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM

I don't really know how they compare, but I have seen less expensive stainless steel water bottles in stores. Fred Meyer (Kroger-affiliated) had one for $7.99. It's the "Glacier's Edge" brand. I'm quite sure the quality isn't as good - I held my same-sized KK in the other hand, and the Glacier's Edge one was a little bit lighter. So you could end up paying for it in the long run if you need to replace it.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#6 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 PM

The Walgreens in my area just had knock-off Siggs for 3/$10 on sale...
#7 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 PM

I use mason jars or honey/jelly/etc. jars as PP suggested. Haven't broken one yet...and they are free.
#8 of 17 Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 PM

I have a guyot-designs bottle from reusable bags.com, and so does my mom and dad. We love them. And since its just stainless steel theres absolutely no worries about BPA etc in the proprietary lining, yk?
#9 of 17 Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redifer View Post
The Walgreens in my area just had knock-off Siggs for 3/$10 on sale...
are they lined? and if so, how do you know it's a safe lining like with Sigg?

Honestly, if you are truly concearned about having a safe bottle to drink from, I think it's worth it to invest in a Kleen Kanteen or Sigg. I prefer the KK b/c I've had both and the KK has lasted longer. The siggs I've had have bent and the paint has chipped over time, while the kk is still in perfect shape. It's an investment up front, but if you get a KK you can use it for many, many years and you really don't need more than 1 per person.

ETA: I was just looking at Reusable Bags and I saw that soon they will have KK's in different colors! I know many like Siggs b/c of the colors and designs, but now KKs will be a little more fun looking (I still think they're much better than siggs). Also, if anyone is thinking about buying any at reusable bags there is another thread in green living with a coupon code for 30% off your entire purchase!
#10 of 17 Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#11 of 17 Old 05-15-2008, 09:30 AM

If you live someplace where it's hot you might try a ThinkSport. They are SS, double-walled and work GREAT at insulating cold water (much better than the KK or the SIGG). We reviewed a bunch of adult water bottles on our blog if you want more ideas (there are cheaper options that are BPA-free plastic if you're into that kind of thing).

ZMom

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#12 of 17 Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use glass bottles most of the time- containers that once held single servings of iced tea.

Just be aware that glass bottles aren't allowed in some places. If I need to go to the social services building or family court, they won't let glass bottles into the container. One local park I went to had a sign up saying "no glass bottles". I took my water bottles in anyway, and nobody enforced that rule, but I was discreet about it- I wouldn't have let my child carry a glass bottle all over the park with her after reading that sign. I assume they're worried about glass breaking on the cement and then being a safety hazard for other kids.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#13 of 17 Old 05-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just thought I would mention my experiences. I bought 4 Klean Kanteens about 4 1/2 years ago. They are still in excellent shape. Even the sippy parts are still working (and my kids are very hard on things). Plus the lids are replacable separately if need be. I bought Thermos bottles that are stainless steel with a straw and a nice outside design for my kids when they started school because they like their water cold. They are still functional but are kind of beat up looking and if the lid breaks, I can't replace it (straws are replacable). I have friends who bought Sigg bottles about the same time and those bottles look very beat up, but apparently they do still function. Siggs are much lighter in weight, though, the KleanKanteens are heavy but you get used to it and now they have smaller size bottles. When I bought them I figured if they replaced 10 water bottles bought while we were out they would pay for themselves. But the truth is they have replaced hundreds and hundreds of water bottles that we might have purchased while we were out if we hadn't remembered to take our bottles. Not to mention the hassle and waste of recycling.
#14 of 17 Old 05-15-2008, 12:42 PM

I really think it's worth it in the long run. It's not like you're buying them often, yk? It's a one time thing. I like siggs too, cause they're lighter and prettier than KK's (yes, I'm vain.)
#15 of 17 Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 PM

We have KK and Guyot. Both are great brands and very high quality stainless steel.
#16 of 17 Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
ETA: I was just looking at Reusable Bags and I saw that soon they will have KK's in different colors! I know many like Siggs b/c of the colors and designs, but now KKs will be a little more fun looking (I still think they're much better than siggs). Also, if anyone is thinking about buying any at reusable bags there is another thread in green living with a coupon code for 30% off your entire purchase!
Anyone have a link to this thread?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#17 of 17 Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 PM

I had been asking the same question, and found a few cheaper alternatives that still seem like quality, safe products.

http://mamaslittlemonkeys.blogspot.c...ty-attack.html

Also found these today:
http://www.affirmwater.com/index.html
Hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page