What "green" or "organic" companies do you avoid? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Mamacita View Post
Hi All ~ Shaklee products are great -- expensive, but very concentrated so they last a long time. I've used their cleaning products all my adult life, and actually grew up with them -- they're one of the "original" green companies, still family-owned, I believe.

California Baby is even better than it was when DS was born (he's now 5). They used to have the tiniest smidgin (1/10th of 1%) of paraben as a preservative, but removed it several years back. They have a fragrance-free Super Sensitive line if lavender and other essential oils bother you. We're huge fans of the company. Here's a list from their Tea Tree & Lavender Shampoo & Bodywash:

"100% Botanically-based. No SLS or DEA. No nut oils, gluten, soy, oat or dairy. No numbing agents. No parabens, sodium benzoate, benzoic acid, benzyl alcohol or phenoxyethanol.

Our essential oils are guaranteed pesticide free. Our therapeutic Tea Tree is organically grown in Australia.

Ingredients: Purified water, aloe vera*, decyl polyglucose (extracts of corn, coconut and palm - non-invasive and extremely biodegradable), vitamin e*, evening primrose, vegetable glycerin, citrus seed extract, proprietary essential oil blend*, phosphollpid (emollient, coconut source), polyaminopropyl biguanide (extremely mild antimicrobial; no formaldehyde or formaldehyde donors, non-solvent and non-genotoxic).

* Organic or sustainable."

HTH!
I love the Super Sensitive bodywash! It has help my DC skin so much!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM

I'm another that buys localy whatever I possibly can, but don't worry about what I can't. I try to buy Organic valley milk over horizon/stoneyfield, but if thats all thats available, I certainly buy it over conventional!!

Theres something to said for avoiding large conglomerates... but theres also something to be said for supporting them when they TRY. As others have noted, just the fact that Clorox felt the need to even think about making a "green" label is impressive and shows how far we've come. I can't imagine them having done that even 3 or 4 years ago. But as green and organic becomes mainstream its only obvious that some big farms are going to have to too. All our food will probably never be grown on small family farms, certainly support them whenever you can, but if you don't have that option, don't worry. Seeds of Change is still one of our favorite seed companies around here, and I still eat at Chipotle even if McDonalds does own them!! (and yes, maybe mcdonalds gets my buisiness too, every now and then... : )
Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
: A kid's gotta have grilled cheese, people.
Yes...kid...that's it, kid!

Heh heh heh.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
What local soap company are you referring to? I live in NC as well.
Anders Natural Soap, they're right here in Raleigh. They have a booth in the indoor building at the Farmer's Market. I haven't tried anything yet, but it always smells so good when I walk by. HTH!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
IMO, yes. They still test on animals.
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/new...animal-testing
There is a really disturbing video that goes along with it.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I do not necessarily avoid the company....but I am not going to buy a particular product of a company anymore....

The new Palmolive biodegradeable dishwasher detergent does not clean worth diddly and it leaves a horrible white residue all over some of the dishes.......so basically you have to rewash them and hope they get clean.......therefore waisting water..........AND MY TIME!

I used the normal palmolive for a few years and did not mind it that much...but now they went to this new formula and I have not been happy with it. I just wish we could get the old stuff at the store...now I am going to have to find a new detergent. UGGG!!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 PM

yeah I typically do not buy something just because it says organic, green or all natural......I look at the contents and compare to other normal brands (many times they are the same). The companies are realizing that people are looking more into natural things now days than they have in some time, so they are throwing out all the words that captivate the clueless and making a ton of money on it in the mean time....because of course if it is healthy it must be more expensive....*rolls eyes*

I find the ones that have been around for years and years and have not changed....meaning they were natural then and are natural now......are the best and many times still pretty cheap.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
The new Palmolive biodegradeable dishwasher detergent does not clean worth diddly and it leaves a horrible white residue all over some of the dishes.......so basically you have to rewash them and hope they get clean.......therefore waisting water..........AND MY TIME!
Ecover makes a great dishwasher tablet -- Consumer Reports rated it the best environmentally friendly one, and I agree completely. I'd used Trader Joe's powder before, which is CR's second best rated. Drugstore.com has it, and I stock up when it's on sale. Shaklee's powder is also very good, but more expensive. HTH!

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
If you look into the corporate "families" of most of the natural/organic brands you will find that the vast majority of them are owned by enormous mainstream pesticide lovin', gmo promoting food companies that are full of trans fats and high fructose corn syrup.
Pssh. Alarmist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyrin View Post
I recently found out that Burt's Bees was bought by The Clorox Company : and so I'm giving them up.
On our latest trip to see family, both my sons informed my MIL and my cousin that their Burt's was now owned by Clorox. : I love my kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthenia View Post
While I don't think they're bad in any sense, I avoid Frontier, because I can get pretty much everything they sell from a locally owned herb shop, where the herbs are fresher, and I get to hang out with the owner and chat.
Also, their vegetarian broths are full of corn syrup solids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Tell me something wonderful about Clorox so I don't have to!
Um, they make your whites whiter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
(and yes, maybe mcdonalds gets my buisiness too, every now and then... : )
: : :
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Ecover makes a great dishwasher tablet -- Consumer Reports rated it the best environmentally friendly one, and I agree completely. I'd used Trader Joe's powder before, which is CR's second best rated. Drugstore.com has it, and I stock up when it's on sale. Shaklee's powder is also very good, but more expensive. HTH!
thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
I do not necessarily avoid the company....but I am not going to buy a particular product of a company anymore....

I used the normal palmolive for a few years and did not mind it that much...but now they went to this new formula and I have not been happy with it. I just wish we could get the old stuff at the store...now I am going to have to find a new detergent. UGGG!!
I totally agree! I bought it and using about half the bottle and threw the rest in the trash!

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM

We've noticed a big difference b/tw our last box of 7th Gen dishwashing powder and the one we just opened. Dh asked me last night, while unloading, "Did you use any soap?" and apparently had to clean half the dishes. We have 1.5 boxes of 7th gen left, then we'll switch to Ecover or TJ's.

I run a local Frontier coop. I would like to support my local stores, but going through Frontier means my "green" products cost the same as conventional, sometimes the same as generic conventional. We can't spend twice as much on cleaning products - the budget just doesn't allow it - so Frontier means I can use green toiletries and cleaning products, organic vanilla, fair trade coffee, etc.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I avoid stonyfield because they bought out my favorite line brown cow and got rid of the organic line. Stonyfield just seems to commercial to me.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I avoid stonyfield because they bought out my favorite line brown cow and got rid of the organic line. Stonyfield just seems to commercial to me.
Wow, I just finished a thing of brown cow yogurt! Imagine my surprise when I looked at it, and it no longer says organic! That really chaps my hide... :

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
We've noticed a big difference b/tw our last box of 7th Gen dishwashing powder and the one we just opened. Dh asked me last night, while unloading, "Did you use any soap?" and apparently had to clean half the dishes. We have 1.5 boxes of 7th gen left, then we'll switch to Ecover or TJ's.

I run a local Frontier coop. I would like to support my local stores, but going through Frontier means my "green" products cost the same as conventional, sometimes the same as generic conventional. We can't spend twice as much on cleaning products - the budget just doesn't allow it - so Frontier means I can use green toiletries and cleaning products, organic vanilla, fair trade coffee, etc.
Thanks for the heads up about 7th Gen dishwashing powder. I was thinking about trying it but I'll try ecover instead. I also belong to a coop. I live out in the middle of nowhere and it's nice to save money (and gas!) on these things.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Becca View Post
So it's not just my imagination? I swear 7th Gen dishwashing powder used to clean my dishes a lot better. I'm also thinking of switching to Ecover, so far I love all of their other products.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Burt's Bees was recently bought out by Clorox. I don't know much about the Clorox company but I can only imagine. Anyone have the scoop on Clorox? I've used Burt's Bees on all 3 of my kids & the smell of their lotion brings back so many memories....but I'm probably switching when this last bottle runs out. Tell me something wonderful about Clorox so I don't have to!
Honestly, I think that you should just keep using it. I mean, now the profits are ultimately going to a corporation rather than a family business (which is a big bummer), but the products haven't changed... yet.

Maybe you have a great, local, organic, lotion maker but I'd say that's unlikely. So what are your other options?
Give up lotion and rub a locally grown organic avocado all over your face?
Try to find a better company?
Not likely. They are all being bought up.
It really depends on what you are worried about. Is is business practices? Product quality? Both?

I really think that you should indulge. I think that it is really great to be conscious and not in denial of the products and companies that you are supporting but I don't believe that living in guilt will make us any better.

On another note...

Here's how my priorities go for making purchases of anything:

Local and organic whenever I can
Local
then just organic.

I really think that small and local is always better.

One more thought....

Wouldn't it be more productive (and a much shorter list) to talk about the companies who are good to buy from rather than the ones to avoid. I really curious if there are any that we would all agree are wholesome and ethical. Maybe someone could make a poll
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe you have a great, local, organic, lotion maker but I'd say that's unlikely. So what are your other options?
Give up lotion and rub a locally grown organic avocado all over your face?
Try to find a better company?
Not likely. They are all being bought up.
It really depends on what you are worried about. Is is business practices? Product quality? Both?

I really think that you should indulge. I think that it is really great to be conscious and not in denial of the products and companies that you are supporting but I don't believe that living in guilt will make us any better.
ya see, this is the beauty of the internet. that great handmade place doesn't have to be local. it can be halfway across the US.

I personally won't do Burt's Bees anymore, and have recently fallen in love with every product i've tried so far from Oyin Handmade. they are a work at home family, their products are natural and made by hand, and the customer service is fantastic. i think they're based in California - certainly nowhere near where i live - but i'm more than happy to pay a bit of shipping and skip the 'convenience' of grabbing it locally to get a fantastic natural product and give my money to hard-working small businesses instead of Clorox Corporation.

now obviously it's not as cut-and-dried when you talk about food, since you can't order your organic milk over the internet (yet). so you either have those local choices or you don't. but when it comes to health and beauty products, i don't think there's any reason you can't avoid the stuff you want to avoid as long as you have an internet connection and a credit/debit card.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:50 PM

TJ's dishwashing detergent doesn't work that well for me. I do love ecover tablets though. I've found them for a good price through amazon (4.42/box, comes in a pack of 5.)

Aven
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
ya see, this is the beauty of the internet. that great handmade place doesn't have to be local. it can be halfway across the US.

I personally won't do Burt's Bees anymore, and have recently fallen in love with every product i've tried so far from Oyin Handmade. they are a work at home family, their products are natural and made by hand, and the customer service is fantastic. i think they're based in California - certainly nowhere near where i live - but i'm more than happy to pay a bit of shipping and skip the 'convenience' of grabbing it locally to get a fantastic natural product and give my money to hard-working small businesses instead of Clorox Corporation.

now obviously it's not as cut-and-dried when you talk about food, since you can't order your organic milk over the internet (yet). so you either have those local choices or you don't. but when it comes to health and beauty products, i don't think there's any reason you can't avoid the stuff you want to avoid as long as you have an internet connection and a credit/debit card.

Local business still has advantages that you can't get going with an internet small business.

You are right though, that is does open a lot of doors
Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 AM

My beef with Burt's Bees is quality, but knowing they are owned by Clorox now just errodes my (former) loyalty despite quality issues. I love the plain lipbalm, but pretty much everything else i've tried is just not that good, IMO. I have been lusting after the milk and honey lotion b/c my hubby thinks it smells good (it smells like coconut, pretty strongly) - so I got some at long last....it's as thin as milk and not very moisturizing if you have dry skin. I literally got chapped skin this winter using that lotion daily. The conditioner...not very conditioning (i have dry, curly hair, I need good conditioner). I switched to Nature's Gate conditioner, it works great. i switched to Kiss My Face lotion, it works great.

I've had BB;s things I haven't loved int he past, but I kept giving them another try out of loyaty - but i won't be doing that anymore.

The business ethics are important to me, but I also need quality. i can't waste money on things that don't work like they should.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 AM

^ I like kiss my face also. They are still independent and they don't have parabens in their lotions.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Local business still has advantages that you can't get going with an internet small business.

You are right though, that is does open a lot of doors
oh, absolutely. and i always buy local first and whenever it's possible. i'm in a really lucky position of living in an area where it's incredibly easy to buy great food locally (grassfed beef, freerange chicken and eggs, fresh local produce in season, etc.), i get organic raw milk so i don't have to deal with pasteurized organic, and i have access to a good number of local HFS's and even locally made homeopathics! i feel very lucky to have the kind of access that i do.

but if i didn't have that availability, and for the stuff i don't have local access to (like handmade soaps and stuff) i'd definitely go to the internet to get quality stuff from someone else's small independently owned business before i'd go to target and buy Burt's Bees or whatever. not that i'm a target snob, i shop there too, but those big box stores and large commercial brands are my last stop when i can't get what i need anywhere else.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
^ I like kiss my face also. They are still independent and they don't have parabens in their lotions.
They are on the list of companies being sued (or pressured or some sort of action) by Dr. Bronners for false advertising of an organic product and not disclosing all ingredients.

I know Natures Gate is on the list too, I'll try to find the complete list.

It's a deal breaker for me. I'd rather use a conventional product that was being honest about what was in the product (which I know doesn't happen that often either) :
Old 06-04-2008, 01:57 PM

Here is an article about it with the list of companies at the end:

http://www.walletmouth.com/2008/04/soapmaker-sues.html

I wish that I could find the list of products that are being targeted, anyone have that list?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyrin View Post
I completely agree that the only way to be comfortable is to eat whole and local. We just joined a local CSA that starts this June and I am really excited about it.
definitely local is best- and try to avoid all of the BIG companies. Eden is one of the few companies that still owns itself and has good ethics. Their products are USA grown- not from china like many of the cascadian farms, etc now!

For info try
http://www.localharvest.org/
http://www.foodroutes.org/howtobuylocal.jsp
http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.html
http://www.biodynamics.com/csa.html

User Tag List