What "green" or "organic" companies do you avoid? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know people avoid Horizon because they are questionable. What other companies that claim to be green or organic do you avoid? Why?

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#2 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 01:28 AM

barbara's Bakery (found in most health food stores) isn't really that great. I can't name them off hand but they put some crappy ingredients in their food.

I'm always iffy of the mainstream brands that pop up with some organic label. I like to stick with eating seasonal veggies and buying them from our wonderful local farm, we buy grass fed beef from the same farm that some friends of ours raises and then I have my main brands that I buy like EnviroKids cereal or Kashi, Cascadian Farms, etc.
#3 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 AM

Oh no, what's wrong with Horizon?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Method. I got all excited when I heard they were making a baby care line but they went and put SLS in everything. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#4 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 AM

If you look into the corporate "families" of most of the natural/organic brands you will find that the vast majority of them are owned by enormous mainstream pesticide lovin', gmo promoting food companies that are full of trans fats and high fructose corn syrup.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#5 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#6 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
If you look into the corporate "families" of most of the natural/organic brands you will find that the vast majority of them are owned by enormous mainstream pesticide lovin', gmo promoting food companies that are full of trans fats and high fructose corn syrup.
Completely agree Vancouver Mommy, it's rather astounding to realize that it's quite difficult to purchase anything without it being owned by some corporate giant. I really try to support local and small businesses whenever I can.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but here's a site I came across awhile ago if you want to know who owns who:

http://www.cornucopia.org/images/Who...ChartAug06.pdf :

And if you're worried about what goes in your food, make sure you read, read, read labels. Even some companies that are supposed to be organic and natural still put poo-poo stuff in their foods.

If you're interested in a company's track record when it comes to being environmentally and socially responsible, Co-op America's website also gives you a report on many large companies http://www.coopamerica.org/programs/rs/

I recently found out that Burt's Bees was bought by The Clorox Company : and so I'm giving them up.
#7 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 AM

While I don't think they're bad in any sense, I avoid Frontier, because I can get pretty much everything they sell from a locally owned herb shop, where the herbs are fresher, and I get to hang out with the owner and chat.

Rule of thumb for me is I'll buy it from a locally owned place first.
#8 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM

Burt's Bees was recently bought out by Clorox. I don't know much about the Clorox company but I can only imagine. Anyone have the scoop on Clorox? I've used Burt's Bees on all 3 of my kids & the smell of their lotion brings back so many memories....but I'm probably switching when this last bottle runs out. Tell me something wonderful about Clorox so I don't have to!

stephanie asl.gif

#9 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyrin View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but here's a site I came across awhile ago if you want to know who owns who:

http://www.cornucopia.org/images/Who...ChartAug06.pdf :
Great link, thanks. We are finding the only way to be comfortable with our food is to eat whole and local. Now I need to research my health products...
#10 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Hain Celestial owns everyone it seems. They seem to own all the brands I use regularly. I see from the chart that they have a strategic alliance with Heinz. I wonder what that actually means.
#11 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Wow, that chart really makes me want to go even more local!

I avoid seeds of change and horizon.
#12 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM

I avoid companies that prey on environmentalist standards but are really just abusers such as the 'Sea Pearl' ( the killing of sponges to stuff up your yoni... people. Anyone who sells those is also off my list which is sad because Glad Rags WAS my favorite company!!
#13 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 PM

I avoid Horizen. I no longer buy Burts Bees or Toms of Maine.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#14 of 86 Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Cascadian farms. Owned by general mills (I believe correct me if I'm wrong), but the main reason I avoid is I just don't like the taste/quality of their products.
#15 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Banned

OH MY GOSH thos &%^*^$
#16 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the link. Subbing

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#17 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapatasana View Post
Cascadian farms. Owned by general mills (I believe correct me if I'm wrong), but the main reason I avoid is I just don't like the taste/quality of their products.
yep the are, I avoid them too.. but I do love their honey o's :-x Also Tom's b/c of their SLS, except DH loves their deodorant and thats the most natural one he'll use. Also Method - which is sad since its so available, but they don't really disclose their ingredients, & have some questionable things including fragrance.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#18 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny*pa*mom View Post
Great link, thanks. We are finding the only way to be comfortable with our food is to eat whole and local. Now I need to research my health products...
I completely agree that the only way to be comfortable is to eat whole and local. We just joined a local CSA that starts this June and I am really excited about it.
#19 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 PM

By the way I almost forgot.

There is also the Enviromental Working Group's cosmetic safety database: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

Do make sure you read through the all the ingredients of a product you are looking up and just don't take a low hazard rating at face value. Certain ingredients you may not like having in your products may be considered a low hazard.

Interestingly quite a few of Burt's Bees products ranked higher on hazards due to fragrance and natural unspecified flavors they stick in their products. And there are definitely certain Burt's products I just can't use because of the strong fragrance.
#20 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Burt's Bees was recently bought out by Clorox. I don't know much about the Clorox company but I can only imagine. Anyone have the scoop on Clorox? I've used Burt's Bees on all 3 of my kids & the smell of their lotion brings back so many memories....but I'm probably switching when this last bottle runs out. Tell me something wonderful about Clorox so I don't have to!
I don't think there is anything wonderful about clorox. I'm pretty sure there isn't even enything decent we could say about Clorox. It's so sad to see these huge monster corporations eating up the smaller good companies- rumor has it most of them (Burt's Bees, Tom's, etc) were bullied into selling, too!

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#21 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Clorox "green works". Horizon. Kraft "organic".

Stick with as local as possible. Go for organic companies that have been around for a while and have a commitment to quality products and environmental sustainability.

Live simply.:
#22 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekomaya View Post
yep the are, I avoid them too.. but I do love their honey o's :-x Also Tom's b/c of their SLS, except DH loves their deodorant and thats the most natural one he'll use. Also Method - which is sad since its so available, but they don't really disclose their ingredients, & have some questionable things including fragrance.

What's wrong with SLS? What is it? Is that the only thing that makes tom's bad?
#23 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Toms
Burts Bees
Jason
Horizon
Most things that claim to be UDSA certified though I do make exceptions when I dont have a choice (ie traveling with limited options)

There are also a few other companies, but cant think of them right now.
#24 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Why Seeds of Change?

We avoid Horizon. I really like a lot of the Burt's Bees products, but I am cutting back on them now that Clorox has bought them. Same with Tom's of Maine (Colgate has them.) I also avoid the organic versions of more mainstream brands like Kraft, Heinz, etc...

We're also trying to buy more local brands- even ones that aren't necessarily organic. At my favorite local farmstand, they have a "chemical free" sign out for a lot of products we buy. The farms are too small to be able to afford the certified organic label, but their products are essentially organic.
Quote:
Go for organic companies that have been around for a while and have a commitment to quality products and environmental sustainability.
:

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#25 of 86 Old 05-16-2008, 07:20 PM

Yah, um ... Clorox "green works". Isn't that an oxymoron?

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

#26 of 86 Old 05-17-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is so sad. I really need to dig around and get recs for good local companies around here. We're trying to buy more locally. I'm sad about Tom's of Maine. My dad has used their products for years. We use their toothpaste and I was using their deodorant until I realized it was making my pits smell like my husbands butt. I didn't know they were bought out buy Colgate.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#27 of 86 Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 AM

What about Seventh Generation? I was thinking about switching to their TP (family cloth is not an option for us).

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#28 of 86 Old 05-17-2008, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekat View Post
What about Seventh Generation? I was thinking about switching to their TP (family cloth is not an option for us).
My big gripe with them is their packaging. Their detergents and cleaners come in thick plastic bottles and their maxi pads come in plastic packing. I'm sure there are other options out there. I don't think they're an evil company, though. Their TP only comes in 2-ply so that may be a problem if you or your septic system prefer 1-ply.

#29 of 86 Old 05-17-2008, 05:59 AM

I mainly avoid Horizon. We don't consume too many food products from big corps b/c we buy a lot of local produce and meat. Being GF we're limited on what prepackaged items we can eat. I'm sooo bummed about Burt's Bees though, for us they are local. Fortunately I have found a natural soap company even closer, and they have a year round booth at our farmer's market.
#30 of 86 Old 05-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with SLS? What is it? Is that the only thing that makes tom's bad?
I got the following from the Tom's website:
What is it?
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is a foaming agent naturally derived from coconut and/or palm kernel oil. SLS has a long history of safe use in a variety of consumer personal care products.
What does it do?
We use SLS in our toothpaste to properly disperse the ingredients and ensure easy rinsing.
What are the alternatives?
SLS is not the only foaming or dispersal agent available, but we believe it is the best choice due to its long history of safe use, its lack of odor or taste, and its low level of concentration in our products.
For those of our consumers who prefer to use a toothpaste without SLS, we also offer a line of SLS-free toothpastes which use glycyrrhizin, derived from licorice root, to foam and disperse ingredients:

They also said:

What are the risks?
We are well aware of the widespread Internet rumors regarding SLS and its use in shampoos, toothpaste, and other products. At Tom's we are concerned about the safety and efficacy of our products, so we take these rumors seriously. Specifically, we have heard claims that SLS is linked to cancer, cataracts, liver or kidney damage, and other maladies. These widespread rumors have been investigated by respected publications such as The Washington Post and The Berkeley Wellness Newsletter, both of which have called them a "sham" and a "hoax." The American Cancer Society has also created an information page debunking the claims. So rampant are these rumors that they are even addressed on the Urban Legends website, which provides additional reputable sources of information about SLS research.
We, too, have researched these claims extensively and have found them to be completely unsubstantiated. As formulated for cosmetic use, SLS has not been found to cause cancer in any recognized scientific research studies. When used in our toothpaste, SLS has limited contact with the gums and is then rinsed out.

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page