What's your family cloth system? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had been using cloth just for myself, (#1 only), and I found it to be SO much nicer than TP for many reasons. But I kind of got lazy and let it slide because I just didn't have a a good "holding place" for the used cloth in between laundry days. What system have you found that works for you? Any suggestions are appreciated!
#2 of 10 Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM

:

I have been thinking about this also and really would like to hear how other people do it!
#3 of 10 Old 05-15-2008, 10:09 PM

nak

Hanging wetbag in the bathroom, across from the potty. The washer and dryer are behind the door that the bag hangs on.
#4 of 10 Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 PM

I put a bucket next to the toilet and wash with my diapering cloth wipes. Others on MDC have used a little trash can with a pop up lid.
#5 of 10 Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 PM

Here's an example of what it looks like at my house.

We use washcloths for wipes, which I fold and leave on the top of the toilet. For dirties I use small covered trashcans that I bought at Ikea several years ago. I wash when the trashcan is full.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM

I purchased a small trashcan with a swinging lid for the dirty ones and use a large giftbag for the clean ones. When the trashcan is full, I wash them. I keep both items next to the toilet.

I agree with the previous poster, I actually prefer this method to TP. Haven't gotten my dh to switch though. I think if more people tried it they would switch. Its amazing to me that we as a society have allowed regular TP to become the "norm."

Mama to 8 yo ds and 4 yo dd.treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifjumpers.gifbellyhair.gif
#7 of 10 Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM

My system is complicated

I use family cloth for both, DH does not use it at all- it is okay, because he really only uses TP once a day anyhow.

I have a wetbag that hands from a doorknob. I sprinkle som EO on one of my cloths and toss it in the bottom for odor control. Then I have a plastic zipper bag inside of that to put the actual family cloth in. I try to rinse and re-use the plastic bag as many times as possible before I toss it. But I have to rinse it every time I wash the cloth, or else it will smell bad.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#8 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 AM

We have a kitchen-size trash can with a sliding lid right next to the toilet, and we put an elasticized diaper pail liner in it. Similar to this. We use it for cloth diapers, wipes, pads, and family cloth. When it's time to wash, I pull the pail liner out, dump it in the washer, and toss the liner in to be washed as well, and then I put a clean liner in the pail.
#9 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 AM

We use cloth for #1 and 2. In our master bath which is where most of the action happens we have a wet bag hanging from a shelf for #1's. Then for #2 I snagged an old juice container to stash beside the toilet. I fill it mostly with water and a bit of vinegar and throw in the dirty cloths. I usually wash them in just about any load of laundry, except a load that includes things like napkins (cloth too!).

In our other bathroom, the boys still use TP (mostly cuz I just haven't gotten around to a system in there) but there is always a stash of washcloths or rags under the sink so if I'm stuck using that bathroom, I just use those and toss them into the laundry room next door.

We've been doing this for a couple of months now and I love it.
#10 of 10 Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 AM

I have a small basket that I stack my cloth wipes in that I keep on the back of the toilet. For soiled cloth I use a small garbage bin that you step on to make the lid go up that I have lined with a target bag that holds dirty wipes. I made a little sign on it that says "family cloth" recycle for the future of our children, with a pick of our baby on it. That way it reminds people that this bin is only for used cloth. I plan to get a small wetbag to line the dirty bin that way i can just toss it all in the wash when i do the cloth diapers. I stopped buying tp!!! yay!

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page