"natural" way to get rid of dandelions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our yard has dandelions and I'm looking for a natural way to get rid of them. Any suggestions?

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#2 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 04:49 PM

I pulled them out by the roots over the course of several weeks. Yes, it was hard work. However, it was more satisfying being on my hands and knees knowing that I wasn't exposing myself to lawn chemicals. I do recommend a garden tool to facilitate.
#3 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM

:

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

#4 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Vinegar. It'll kill the grass around it tho, so be careful where you pour it. You can use it straight, but it also works watered down too.

I agree with the previous poster - if there have been no chemicals used on your lawn, pull them up and eat them for dinner!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#5 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I pay my 5 year old a penny per dandelion root.
#6 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 05:46 PM

We use a weed hound. It is by far my most useful gardening tool. You put it over the dandelion, step on the pedal, pull up and it is ripped out by the root. No mess, super easy. All of our neighbors borrow it now (except the guy next door who prefers Roundup ).
#7 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny*pa*mom View Post
We use a weed hound. It is by far my most useful gardening tool. You put it over the dandelion, step on the pedal, pull up and it is ripped out by the root. No mess, super easy. All of our neighbors borrow it now (except the guy next door who prefers Roundup ).
That thing is awesome...
I'm probably going to get out there and pull them up with my kiddo though!

#8 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could also leave them there and call them "wildflowers" instead of "weeds" and enjoy the sparkle of color on an otherwise boring green lawn.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
You could also leave them there and call them "wildflowers" instead of "weeds" and enjoy the sparkle of color on an otherwise boring green lawn.
Yep! I think dandelions are beautiful!

They are darned useful little plants, too! I use the blossoms to make an infused dandelion flower oil. I infuse olive oil for a lovely salad dressing, and make a shea/sunflower oil that is wonderful for PMS sore breast massage.
If I can gather enough flowers this summer I'll make dandelion wine.

The leaves are wonderful in food if you pick them before the plant blossoms in spring. After they flower they get quite bitter. The root is also useful for all sorts of medicinal things. You can also dry the root, roast it, and use it for a rich, coffee-like tea. It can also be chopped, pickled in apple cider vinegar, and used in salads.
#10 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Another dandelion lover here! I don't understand how they came to be so loathed. I think they're lovely (and they do have many, many uses). Maybe all that you need to change is your outlook.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 43 Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
Yep! I think dandelions are beautiful!

They are darned useful little plants, too! I use the blossoms to make an infused dandelion flower oil. I infuse olive oil for a lovely salad dressing, and make a shea/sunflower oil that is wonderful for PMS sore breast massage.
If I can gather enough flowers this summer I'll make dandelion wine.

The leaves are wonderful in food if you pick them before the plant blossoms in spring. After they flower they get quite bitter. The root is also useful for all sorts of medicinal things. You can also dry the root, roast it, and use it for a rich, coffee-like tea. It can also be chopped, pickled in apple cider vinegar, and used in salads.
How do you make the oil?
#12 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisis View Post
I agree with the previous poster - if there have been no chemicals used on your lawn, pull them up and eat them for dinner!
Quote:
: to both. If you pick them when they are more mature (and hence more bitter) you could dry the leaves and then make an infusion with them to drink before meals - viola! digestive bitters!
#13 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 12:12 AM

My husband digs them out.

Yesterday my daughter told me 'our yard would be much prettier if we planted more dandelions'.
#14 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMajha View Post
How do you make the oil?
I make it in mason pint jars. I pick enough blossoms to fill the jar (it takes quite a bit!). After picking I sit down and take all the green parts (sepals) off the blossoms and fill the jar with the yellow dandelion fluff. Don't pack the flowers down, just fill loosely. I fill to the top.
Next I pour the oil over to cover completely. I stir well to get rid of the bubbles, as airspace can cause mold issues. Then I top it off with more oil, to almost the top of the jar.
I cover the top of the jar with two paper towels and secure with a rubber band. The lid should be cloth or paper towels, something breathable, to allow for moisture evaporation from the blossoms.
I set the jar in a sunny window and let it sit for one or two weeks. The I strain through cheesecloth into a clean jar, cap, and store in the fridge.
If I want a stronger scent or stronger properties (depending on the herb and purpose for the oil) I re-infuse the oil with fresh blossoms.
#15 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 AM

I can't get into teh dandelions are pretty thing. They have alwasy been an eyesore to me I just can't see them as a pretty flower. I think pullingw owrks when you don't have too many.
#16 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
This is our approach! We love dandelions around here. I had a hard time explaining to my 4yo DS why he couldn't buy more dandelions at a recent plant sale. He didn't understand why people wouldn't want them because as e says, "they are so pretty and cheerful"

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#17 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 AM

Dandelions are pretty when they're yellow and blooming...not so pretty after they've turned to fluff, fluff is blowing all over making my eyes water and the stems are just sticking up there.
#18 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM

But they're SOO tasty! and Pretty! I really don't understand why soo many people 'hate dandelions' and 'don't want them around' as the commercials say... its nonsense! They're beautiful, super tasty, super good for you... makes no sense!!
#19 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM

I am in the I think they are pretty camp. They look so sunny and cheerful, especially in early spring.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#20 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 02:44 PM

I'll never understand why people want less flowers in their yard.

But, if you must, pulling them out with the root is the way to go. It works best if it's just rained or if the soil if very very moist. I pull them out of my garden and flower beds because they take over.
#21 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar forest View Post
I'll never understand why people want less flowers in their yard.
Cause they kill your real flowers and anything else you may be trying to grow. I tried plating these petunias once and the dandelions just took over the flower bed, what I actually wanted to grow ended up dying. It may have been me though as I suck at gardening.
#22 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 02:52 PM

well, jeca, if you'd read my whole post you would have seen that I, too, pull dandelions out of my flower beds and garden as they take over. But I like them in my yard, they look nice. I even like them in with my hardier plants that can take it. It really burns me up when people make assumptions without even reading the whole post. Especially when it's short.:
#23 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
well, jeca, if you'd read my whole post you would have seen that I, too, pull dandelions out of my flower beds and garden as they take over. But I like them in my yard, they look nice. I even like them in with my hardier plants that can take it. It really burns me up when people make assumptions without even reading the whole post. Especially when it's short.:
I see no where that I made an assumption, I guess I'm just dense you'll have to point in out to me. All I did was comment on how they killed the things I tried to grew. It burns me up when people take everything as a personal attack.
#24 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 02:59 PM

oh I don't think it was an attack, jeca, just not actually reading my whole post. You'll see that I actually stated that I know that dandelions take over and that I take measures to prevent that. I even specified how. Then you responded to my first sentance only, saying something that I had stated only two sentances later. It's just plain odd to me.
#25 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny*pa*mom View Post
We use a weed hound. It is by far my most useful gardening tool. You put it over the dandelion, step on the pedal, pull up and it is ripped out by the root. No mess, super easy.
I have that thing - but I rarely get the whole root, just the top - what am I doing wrong?

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#26 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
o It's just plain odd to me.
That's just because I'm an odd kinda girl, really. I was actually just reinterating(sp) what you had said. Perhaps it would have been better if I had left the quote out. But I am an odd I admit.
#27 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 PM

A weed is flower nobody loves. Embrace the dandelions.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#28 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Dandelions are pretty when they're yellow and blooming...not so pretty after they've turned to fluff, fluff is blowing all over making my eyes water and the stems are just sticking up there.
This is why we can't have them...besides they spread and out neighbors aren't fond of them at all. (They have some company come in and spray the yard with "organic" lawn care, whatever that is?)

#29 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Girl View Post
(They have some company come in and spray the yard with "organic" lawn care, whatever that is?)
I have two neighbors who are Round-up crazed. I see them walking around squirting everything. (I think our yard looks better and we do not use it. We just do more manual labor.)
#30 of 43 Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
I make it in mason pint jars. I pick enough blossoms to fill the jar (it takes quite a bit!). After picking I sit down and take all the green parts (sepals) off the blossoms and fill the jar with the yellow dandelion fluff. Don't pack the flowers down, just fill loosely. I fill to the top.
Next I pour the oil over to cover completely. I stir well to get rid of the bubbles, as airspace can cause mold issues. Then I top it off with more oil, to almost the top of the jar.
I cover the top of the jar with two paper towels and secure with a rubber band. The lid should be cloth or paper towels, something breathable, to allow for moisture evaporation from the blossoms.
I set the jar in a sunny window and let it sit for one or two weeks. The I strain through cheesecloth into a clean jar, cap, and store in the fridge.
If I want a stronger scent or stronger properties (depending on the herb and purpose for the oil) I re-infuse the oil with fresh blossoms.
What kind of oil do you use? (I'm still new to all this stuff!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page