would you buy a used organic futon? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I don't know hoo bad dustmites can be in a 2yr old organic cotton mattress. Someone is selling one locally for 250. Would you get it? The dustmiate encasing is really expensive - 400 or so. So it really adds up to the cost. Thanks for your advice.
#2 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 PM

I think if you steamed it with something like a http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages...i_steamer.html

I think they even have knock offs....I'm lusting after this if you haven't noticed.
#3 of 4 Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 PM

I'm not saying you shouldn't - but I wouldn't. I have a thing about used mattresses. I think of bedbugs and such, which are hard to get rid off - not sure if a steamer would penetrate the mattress deeeply enough. Anything I can thoroughly wash, I am happy to get used, but not a mattress (and I am by no means a germaphobe or a very clean housekeeper! mattresses are just a thing for me).

eta: all that being said, I really want a steamer and now I'm totally lusting after the one linked above!!)

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 AM

Yeah, I probably would, if I could see that it was clean, and came from a pet/smoke-free home. Because dustmites are a fact of life with natural fibers, I wouldn't worry about two years worth-- would you replace a two-year-old mattress of your own because of dustmites? And around here we don't have to worry about begbugs (yet. shudder).

The thing I would NOT do is steam it. Moisture ruins futons, clumping the cotton fibers together and making them permanently lumpy.

Gotta say, I love the post-consumer gray market, and feel like it's just the most ethical (not to mention cheapest) place to get almost anything!

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page