Our Dutch Cargo Bike is HERE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And we are LOVING IT so far!

http://totallysmittenmama.blogspot.c...shes-here.html

I really think we should be able to ditch at least one car with the help of this beauty. From now on we won't get in a car unless we're traveling more than 5 miles away (which, luckily for us, is quite rare).

It is so much fun to ride, and it only took me about 5 seconds (literally) to get used to the feel of it. The kids are so much happier than they were in the trailer.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Holy Cow, that's one heck of a bike! I've never seen anything like it!

Can you post the website of where you got it?

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Seriously sweet, and now I want one. Where oh where did you find it?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 PM

http://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web2.68

I've been drooling over them too. If you go to the Dutch sight they have a 3 wheeled one that I think will hold four kids.

Lexbeach, did you get yours from a US supplier or directly from Holland?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

I got it from Clever Cycles.

I really think this type of bike is going to become much more popular in the coming years!

Here's a fun video of a Mama Bakfiets Race in Amsterdam: http://amsterdamize.blogspot.com/200...iets-race.html

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabes View Post
I've been drooling over them too. If you go to the Dutch sight they have a 3 wheeled one that I think will hold four kids.
You could fit four kids in our bakfiets too, depending on the size of the kids. Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cleverchimp/2210957328/

It can hold up to 200 pounds in the box (my 3 kids are about 100 pounds at the moment).

Lex

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 AM

The sad part of my story is: I never learned how to ride a two wheeler. So I really want the 3-wheeler. My kids are 133 lbs right now. They gain on average 3 lbs. a year each. If that trend were to continue weight wise we could use it for five more years. Somehow I don't think a 12,10,8,and 6 year old will fit very well. Surely, by then some will be riding their own bikes. Of course we will need more groceries to feed them so that will be good.

Congratulations! It's a beautiful bike.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:38 PM

So cool, mama! You look like you are having a blast with that. I'm bicycle shopping right now, but with one little one, I opted for a seat. That looks super cool for someday, when I have more than one!

Christina

Christina, mama to 2 sweet girls

10.26.12 (HBAC!)
namaste.gif   neg.gif  sewmachine.gif   homebirth.jpg homeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Cool beans! Lookie at my rig!

And this blurry one!

Christy wash.gif Mom to DS 4/21/04 reading.gif DD 9/20/09  dust.gif DD 7/2/11jog.gif

Old 06-06-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketahoemama View Post

And this blurry one!
That looks great! I was torn between the electra extracycle and the bakfiets.nl cargo bike, so those were the perfect pictures for you to post! I ended up going with the bakfiets because I tried putting our 3 kids on the back of my friends' extracycle, and it just felt a little too wobbly for me. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it in time, but the lack of weather protection (for the kids) pushed me over the bakfiets line. I think the electra extracycle is a great option, though--and much more affordable!

Lex

Old 06-06-2008, 05:56 PM

I'm in the same town as CleverCycles, and bakfiets are all over the place here. They look great.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM

I am sooooooooooooo jealous. I can barely get dh to agree to let me spend money on the ancient bike I have let alone a new one.

Since our trip to Denmark, I'm in love with the Christiania Bikes.

Thank you for posting this thread. I've been trying to figure out just how I could get my 2 yo and 5 yo to daycare and kindergarten in the fall. I then continue on to the train for work. Right now I drop them both off at daycare with the car, go home and get the bike. The Xtracycle kit looks like it might be the answer

How's the ride with a full load with the bakfeits compared to a standard bicycle?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketahoemama View Post

And this blurry one!
OOH I have a Townie also! I have the purple poem. It is so gorgeous and soooo fun to ride! I don't have the extracycle though.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler View Post
I am sooooooooooooo jealous. I can barely get dh to agree to let me spend money on the ancient bike I have let alone a new one.
We justified it by figuring out how much money we'd be saving in the long-term. We are going to sell our minivan (and either be a one-car family or buy a much-less-expensive used civc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler
Thank you for posting this thread. I've been trying to figure out just how I could get my 2 yo and 5 yo to daycare and kindergarten in the fall. I then continue on to the train for work. Right now I drop them both off at daycare with the car, go home and get the bike. The Xtracycle kit looks like it might be the answer
That sounds like a perfect scenario for an extracycle since it really isn't much bigger than a standard bike. Our neighbors have one and it works great for them with their two kids (4 and 7 years old now, but they got it when they were 2 and 5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdabbler
How's the ride with a full load with the bakfeits compared to a standard bicycle?
The ride is amazing. It's really fun to ride. It doesn't feel unsteady at all ever. I can easily ride it one-handed (while signaling, or whatever), even with all three kids in the box. The only time I really notice the fact that I'm hauling 300+ pounds around is when we're going up hills. It's still doable (in 1st gear), but it's slow-going and it's a bit of a work out (which is actually probably a good thing for me). Luckily we live in a really flat town. I wouldn't recommend the bakfiets to anyone who has to be going up more than 2 or 3 hills a day (at least not with a full load).

Lex

Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 PM

FABULOUS!!!! I totally love it

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:46 AM

I love it! I've always wanted one of those!

Btw, I love your blog, and your boys are so adorable!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Hey, you got it! How cool! Great pictures! I think yours and the one I have (the cargo trike) are the most popular here in Amsterdam.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Lex - your boys are so cute!!!

I'm hoping you can answer q question for me. I would really like to buy one of these, however using it would require that i go up and down a hill EVERY day. Is that unreasonable? It is just so much money to spend, and then to realize I can't leave the house because I don't want to deal with the hill would suck. My house is on a hill, so really it would be every time I use it. From what I've read it sounds like it really only works for flat areas/
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
Lex - your boys are so cute!!!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl
I'm hoping you can answer q question for me. I would really like to buy one of these, however using it would require that i go up and down a hill EVERY day. Is that unreasonable? It is just so much money to spend, and then to realize I can't leave the house because I don't want to deal with the hill would suck. My house is on a hill, so really it would be every time I use it. From what I've read it sounds like it really only works for flat areas/
How big of a hill is it? Our house is at the top of a hill, too, so I go up a hill every time I use our bakfiets. It's not a HUGE hill, but it's decent (I see other regular bikers huffing a little on the way up). I'm amazed at how much easier the hill has gotten already.

I don't think the bakfiets is a good option for someone who would continuously be going up and down hills for their whole ride, but a few hills scattered throughout the ride is definitely doable. These days I've been doing 3-4 hills/day and that's probably my limit for now (until my legs get stronger).

HTH!

Lex

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 PM

Cool, it may work. I'm going to ride the back side on my cruiser and see if i can go around the worst part of the hill. I'm not sure how big the hill is, I think I've lost my perspective living in Northern CA. It doesn't seem big, but it might be a mountain, LOL.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 PM

I wonder if you could fit the Bakfiets with a bicycle motor? KWIM? The one that gets 400 miles per gallon, holds a half gallon, can go up to 45 mph ... I'm thinking it might help if you had a lot of hills to contend with, as I do. I'm just not sure it could handle all of the extra weight of my kids, groceries, etc.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
I wonder if you could fit the Bakfiets with a bicycle motor? KWIM? The one that gets 400 miles per gallon, holds a half gallon, can go up to 45 mph ... I'm thinking it might help if you had a lot of hills to contend with, as I do. I'm just not sure it could handle all of the extra weight of my kids, groceries, etc.
I believe I've read that it's not safe. I think it has something to do with the brakes on the bakfiets. It does seem like it would be a nice solution otherwise. Though I like knowing that's it's *only* my body powering us around, and I love how strong my legs are getting!

I believe that there is one person (at least) in San Fransisco who has the same bakfiets as I do. He/she must be a lot stronger than I am!

Maybe a horse and buggy would be the way to go if you live somewhere with too many hills to bakfiets yourself around.

Lex

Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you could fit the Bakfiets with a bicycle motor? KWIM?
While looking at the different cargo and utility bikes out there I believe I came across a cargo bike being made with the option of a motor. Try doing a search with the terms cargo + utility + electric + assist or motor assist.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you could fit the Bakfiets with a bicycle motor?
Not a bakfiets, but a regular bike or an xtra-cycle.

The kit is called a stoke monkey.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 PM

That is an awesome bike! If I were to buy one similar it would be this one just because I wouldn't need as much room for kids.

banana.gif

Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Ding, ding, ding! That's what I saw! Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Why not the bakfiets but it's okay for the xtra-cycle? The xtra-cycle scares me a bit for riding where I do (windy, hilly, wooded roads with no real shoulders), with the kids not inside a compartment. Not that the compartment would really offer all that much protection in an accident.

The xtra-cycle sure is cheaper than the bakfiets, though.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That is amazing! How young can they be to fit in that?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 AM

I am so jealous of you right now.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:11 AM

I'd love to get the bakfiet but we don't have many sidewalks.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!

User Tag List