Need to clean my couch (microfiber) - any ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is in the right forum, please feel free to move it if not .

We have had our couch for a little over a year now, and it is in need of a good cleaning. The last time I cleaned with regular upholstery cleaner I had to open all the windows and the front door because I was gagging on the fumes. I should mention it was December in New England : I don't want to think of the oil that wasted! Anyway, I am now pregnant on top of it, and don't want to be breathing in who-knows-what now, plus I am always way sensitive to smells while preggo. I was hoping someone could give me an idea of a good, natural cleaner for microfiber. TIA!

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
#2 of 14 Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM

hot water or steam!

i have a microfiber couch that looked absolutely filthy from a toddler and a dog . . . and grownups who eat on the couch all the time and are just as guilty of spilling as anyone else. i cleaned it with the "little green machine" by bissel. it was about $100 and just uses really hot water. i mean, there is chemical cleaner to put in it, but seriously it does an awesome job (on upholstery, rugs, what-have-you) with just hot water, or a vinegar solution, and eo for a nice smell.

you may know someone who has it, and you could borrow it from them. otherwise, rent a rug doctor with an upholstery attachment. that would run you about $40. i do love my little green machine though . . . it was awesome on ds1's mattress when he had the stomach flu this past winter.
#3 of 14 Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 AM

I totally agree with the steam cleaner tip. Spray your couch first with a mixture of vinegar, water and Dr. Bronner's soap. Then steam clean with just water.
#4 of 14 Old 06-24-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help - I'm off to Google the 'green machine' as well as Dr. Bronner's soap.

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
#5 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 AM

We just steamed ours with a vinegar and H20 mixture. It looks and now smells terrific, with no fabric discoloration.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#6 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM

Ooh, I am so glad I found this thread! I have been trying to figure out how to get my couch (micro fiber) cleaned for over a year.....These are great suggestions!

Maybe I will have to buy a lil green machine......once I find out where to buy one.
#7 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 AM

i got mine at target, but before you buy a new one, why not send an email to all your friends to see if anyone has one you can borrow? i've happily lent mine to friends.
#8 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i got mine at target, but before you buy a new one, why not send an email to all your friends to see if anyone has one you can borrow? i've happily lent mine to friends.
You happen to live in MI? haha
#9 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 PM

no, lol, but i forgot to say - i also found out after i bought it that two other people i know also have them.
#10 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM

i always use water & dish detergent & hand scrub with a dish cloth . comes perfectly clean

pen , crayon or other stuff like that come off with mr clean erasers

mine are 2 1/2 years old & look like they did new. but we also had them scotch garded before they were delivered (and let them dry & air out)
#11 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 PM

I'm literally, as I type, sitting on one couch cushion because I just steamed the other two with a Little Green. Glad to hear the good comments about it. We'll see how the cushions look when they dry. Anyway, I used mostly super-hot water, and then a little bit of BioKleen Bac-Out.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#12 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM

I went out and bought the little green machine. I'm pretreating at the moment. My sofas looks really terrible. So I'm hoping my vinegar,bronners, and eo solution will work.
edited to add: It cost me $60 something from Walmart.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#13 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 PM

I always wash mine with a damp washcloth (just with plain water), and after I scrub any dirty spots I wipe all the fibers in the same direction. Mine are dark colored, but that alone has them looking as good as new!
#14 of 14 Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 AM

I'm just curious how your couch turned out after using the little green. I have one somewhere in the garage and have been thinking about using it on our almost 4 year old micro suede couch that has never been cleaned. It is a dark green/brown and you can't tell it's dirty unless you look very closely but it's starting to smell a little dirty and then I was thinking how disgusting it probably is...I'm almost afraid to find out how dirty it actually is!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page