Natural ways to kill fruit flies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have fruit flies..yippee...but I don't want to use any horrible chemical bug spray stuff around us and our pets...is there anything natural we can use? Thanks so much!!
#2 of 14 Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Put some ACV in a small bowl. Add a couple drops of dish detergent. Cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes into it. If it's really bad, you might need a few bowls everywhere the flies are. They will fly in, be trapped, and drown. Always works for me.
#3 of 14 Old 06-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Wine is a great attracatant to the fruit flys. We put some red wine in a 20 oz juice bottle and then made a paper cone with a small opening for the flys to go into. We taped the cone to the bottle and it worked great! Good luck.
#4 of 14 Old 06-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdaffodils View Post
Put some ACV in a small bowl. Add a couple drops of dish detergent. Cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes into it. If it's really bad, you might need a few bowls everywhere the flies are. They will fly in, be trapped, and drown. Always works for me.
Yeah, that. I actually bought these really fancy fruit fly traps from Lee Valley a couple of years ago that cost about $14 and were exactly what is described above.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#5 of 14 Old 06-30-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, guys!!
#6 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I'm trying this today! If it doesn't work, I'll try the wine...

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#7 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I've done this with juice and dish soap. I never actually tried it with the ACV, but I read about doing this with sugar water and it didn't work. The last time I had fruit flies I happened to have had apple juice available so I used that, with dish soap added to help them drown.

I never covered with plastic wrap either- just bowls or cups of juice with dish soap added, and replaced the contents of the bowls when they got too nasty. My first infestation, I changed the bowls every day or two for a week until they were mostly gone, then kept another bowl out for another week or two just to be safe. Subsequent fruit fly problems were treated much earlier and got cleared up much faster.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#8 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Put out a glass of wine. They will fly in and die. Plus it's a good excuse to go buy some wine!

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 14 Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM

I once left out some grapefruit juice and we had a *very* bad fruitfly problem. In the morning there were DOZENS drowned in the glass. Ew

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#10 of 14 Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I've done this with juice and dish soap. I never actually tried it with the ACV, but I read about doing this with sugar water and it didn't work. The last time I had fruit flies I happened to have had apple juice available so I used that, with dish soap added to help them drown.

I never covered with plastic wrap either- just bowls or cups of juice with dish soap added, and replaced the contents of the bowls when they got too nasty. My first infestation, I changed the bowls every day or two for a week until they were mostly gone, then kept another bowl out for another week or two just to be safe. Subsequent fruit fly problems were treated much earlier and got cleared up much faster.
I think the plastic wrap is more to reduce the spilling somewhat if a bowl gets knocked over.

Oh, another thing to add, for anyone currently suffering, pour boiling water down your drains.

And you'll find that, while it takes a full week or so to be sure they're all gone, within a day you'll hardly notice any fruit flies (assuming you've put out like 4-5 bowls)
#11 of 14 Old 07-06-2008, 02:10 AM

Ugh. The ACV didn't work. I set out a few bowls, half covered w/plastic and half open... I think the death toll is ten, after three days. Apparently my fruit flies are an organized and intelligent variety. I may not win this battle! :

Trying the wine next.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#12 of 14 Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Fly ribbons! Seriously, you can get them pretty much anywhere and they are like $1 for a pack of four. They're not too pretty to look at and have hanging around your house, but they work! There's no smell or chemicals or anything, but I think they are still attracted to them somehow. What I do, is I set a bowl with some juice or a fruit peeling (or anything they are attracted to) right below the ribbon. Some will automatically land on the ribbon, but most will land in the bowl of course. Then every time you walk by, just give the bowl a nudge and stir em up. LOL Then as they all "settle" again, a bunch will land on the ribbon. Wash, rinse, repeat, until most of them are on the paper.

I'd show you how well it works but it'd probably just make you gag. LOL (I'm in LA... lots of fruit flies here.)

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#13 of 14 Old 07-06-2008, 03:52 PM

By accident, I left some uncooked brown rice soaking in some water overnight (it started to smell kind of fermented). Well, we happen to have a fruit fly issue at the time too (every time we get pineapples we seem to get fruit flies that come with it). The fruit flies went nuts over it. So, we moved the wet rice over to a jar, let the fruit flies fly in overnight, they loved it so much, they didn't want to leave, we just put the lid on the jar, and shook them until they were dead and emptied out the jar.
#14 of 14 Old 07-07-2008, 06:40 PM

is there anything i can do to avoid getting fruit flies in the first place, aside from not buying fresh fruit?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page