Whiten Tile? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know how to easily and cheaply whiten floor grout?

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-04-2008, 03:25 AM

I don't know of a natural way, but my dh uses a grout stain to do it (he is a tile installer).. He says its an acrylic based stain that is water soluable. It costs around $20 for 600 sq feet. If you have a local tile store go there instead of Lowes etc. they carry better brands. He paints it on with a toothbrush and washes it off with a wet sponge. You may need to go over it twice depending on how bad it is stained.. so thats what he said

HTH
#3 of 6 Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkenna&lucas View Post
I don't know of a natural way, but my dh uses a grout stain to do it (he is a tile installer).
But what if the grout is white, or used to be some decades ago? Can you use stain to get it white again? I have white tiles on my bathroom walls and the nasty stained grout ranges from ecru to forest green, I swear. Blech.

#4 of 6 Old 07-04-2008, 07:24 PM

Seventh Generation makes a shower cleaner that does an amazing job with grout. The active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide, which would probably work on its own, but SG adds some natural surfactants, too.

I was amazed the first time I used in on dry stained grout when we moved into this house, and the nasty stuff in the grout made the cleaner start foaming. Underneath, it was white after one swipe with a rag! :
#5 of 6 Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen View Post
But what if the grout is white, or used to be some decades ago? Can you use stain to get it white again? I have white tiles on my bathroom walls and the nasty stained grout ranges from ecru to forest green, I swear. Blech.
He said that it will need more than 1 application, then once applied..any cleaner should work from then on. And the stain should hold up for years.
#6 of 6 Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM

How do you feel about bleach? If you are not opposed, try a spray bottle with a bleach and water solution. Spray the grout before going to bed and then wash the floor in the morning. Or, use bleach as a scrubber. I just cleaned my grout this weekend and just used a regular bathroom cleaner and scrubbed it. I used a real scrub brush as the tooth brush is too flimsy. I read, though, that oxy-clean will also do a great job. Or course, this is all toxic. For the non-toxic route, I would try a baking soda paste, let it sit, and then scrub with a stiff brush.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page