Wool comforter - OK to wash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-06-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a quandary here. We have a wool comforter (inside is wool, cover is 100% cotton.) DD got sick on it recently, so it needs cleaning. It says dry clean, but dry cleaning chemicals give me the willies. I'm pretty much at the point where I would throw it away before I'd dry clean it - that's how much it skeeves me to think of sleeping with dry clean chemicals. (Several years ago, I worked for some engineers cleaning up a Superfund site, formerly a dry cleaners, and have never forgotten it!)

I'm thinking of throwing it in my front loader then air drying it. What do you think? Will it totally ruin it? I've got a Bedding cycle, and would probably use cold water. Any suggestions/advice for me?

Thanks so much!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#2 of 9 Old 07-06-2008, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a wool comforter I was always afraid to wash. And then the dog peed on it. So, I washed it. Cold water on gentle, and put it out in the sun to dry. It was fine. Came out clean, didn't shrink or anything. The inside was a but matted though, so I gave it a good shake and then put it in the dryer on "fluff", or whatever that cold air dry cycle is called. You can also apparently dry clean such things, but the chemicals involved scare me.

I say, give it a try!

For greater things are yet to come...

#3 of 9 Old 07-06-2008, 04:03 PM

If you'd rather throw it out than dry clean it, what do you have to lose? I would try a gentle cycle wash, and air dry.

Good luck!
#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM

I've had two experiences with it... we have one that we've washed on the wool cycle (man am I lucky to have that) with no problems. The other UGH... I washed it on the same cycle.. and it shrunk (the outer cover was fine, if a bit 'gathered' lol .. but the wool filling 'felted' and got smaller), since it was already ruined I didn't worry about it after that. Every time I washed it, it continued shrinking LOL.... It ended up just over 1 metre square (from a double size) and I made a cover for it & used it for a floor blankie on the tiles for the baby

I hope you have the former experience not the latter lol... I suggest going for lukewarm water and the cycle with the lowest amt of agitation, and definitely hanging dry. Good luck!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 AM

I'll check what it says in my book "Organic Housekeeping"

I'll be back....

I guess it depends on how dirty it is. The book talks about rain washing. Hang the woolen item (or lay it on a clean sheet/table outside) out in the rain with the dirty side down.
#6 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
The other UGH... I washed it on the same cycle.. and it shrunk (the outer cover was fine, if a bit 'gathered' lol .. but the wool filling 'felted' and got smaller), since it was already ruined I didn't worry about it after that. Every time I washed it, it continued shrinking LOL.... It ended up just over 1 metre square (from a double size) and I made a cover for it & used it for a floor blankie on the tiles for the baby
Same thing happened to me! I had an old, hand-made wool comforter made from my dad's sheep (used to have a farm) and washed it before I knew better. It went from queen size to dog bed sized.

It does make a great floor mat for lounging!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 9 Old 07-08-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Every time I washed it, it continued shrinking LOL.... It ended up just over 1 metre square (from a double size) and I made a cover for it & used it for a floor blankie on the tiles for the baby
OMG, don't be mad, but I laughed so hard at the picture you painted! That is an insane amount of shrinkage!

I still haven't washed it - can you tell I'm procrastinating? I just looked, and I do have a Handwash/Wool setting on my washer. I actually think it would come clean in Cold water, because it's not a bad stain.

I promise I'll post my results after I get brave enough to try it. It's 90+ today, so we're certainly not freezing without it, LOL!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
The book talks about rain washing. Hang the woolen item (or lay it on a clean sheet/table outside) out in the rain with the dirty side down.
i was going to suggest hanging it on a line or over a deck or something and just spraying it with a garden hose and letting it air dry. wool is antibacterial anyway, isn't it? i know they say that if you get a leak on a wool mattress pad, just to rinse it off with water and allow to air dry.
#9 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntNi View Post
OMG, don't be mad, but I laughed so hard at the picture you painted! That is an insane amount of shrinkage!

I still haven't washed it - can you tell I'm procrastinating? I just looked, and I do have a Handwash/Wool setting on my washer. I actually think it would come clean in Cold water, because it's not a bad stain.

I promise I'll post my results after I get brave enough to try it. It's 90+ today, so we're certainly not freezing without it, LOL!
LOL oh definitely not mad. I completely cracked up myself every time I pulled it out of the machine We finally got rid of it, the bub is now 2 and doesn't need a floor blankie... I joked with dh that it would eventually make a very nice doll cradle mattress

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page