Do you own a ceiling fan? Are they safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas

We just moved in a two story house and it is hot hot hot upstairs. The old owners installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and they are very nice to help keep cool at night.... however... someone just mentioned to me that they are not safe.... is this true?? They did not give me a reason and I did not ask... but now its got me thinking.... ????

Any thoughts???

Thank you!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#2 of 43 Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I have never heard that ceiling fans are unsafe. We have them in some places in our house (third floor, mostly) and don't use them much, but that's because the heat got so bad we decided a fan wasn't enough and put AC up there.

You shouldn't hang or swing from a ceiling fan, or allow your children to do so - but gosh, isn't that obvious? That's all I can think of, and it's not exactly a giant consumer risk.
#3 of 43 Old 07-12-2008, 11:33 PM

My friend's husband was playing with their DS who was about 10 months at the time and held the baby up over his head. Yup, he held him right into the fan. Fortunately baby (and dad) were okay. They lived in a very old house with a dormer type ceiling so it was pretty low. Other than that I've never heard any problems with them.

Hope you get some relief from the heat!
#4 of 43 Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 PM

DH has put his hand up in a ceiling fan that was running full speed and come away with minor bruising.
My concern has always been that it will somehow detach and fly off the ceiling...but DH (who knows a bit about such things) says you only need worry about one that is not running smoothly / wobbling.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas!!! I just did a little searching online on how to check/fix a wobbling ceiling fan and found some great tips... because out of all them we only have one that does have a small wobble to it.

Thank you again!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#6 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 AM

I love: my ceiling fan! It is way up in the vaulted ceiling...so no real chance of injury.

Your fan will help save you a ton on heating and cooling costs! :

Counterclockwise in the summer to cool

Clockwise in the winter to pull the warm air down from the ceiling

#7 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruppieGirl View Post

Oh my gosh... I would have never known that! Thanks!!!

#8 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 12:46 AM

As long as they were hung properly with the right hardware they are perfectly safe. I have had 1 up for 10yrs now and it has never been turned off and it is still going just fine and like pp mentioned have to be careful about holding baby up high.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh - we always run out ceiling fans year round - it really does make a difference in your heating/cooling costs.

I would think ceiling fans would be safer than floor stand fans. They can't fall over, have problems with the cord/plug, little fingers can't reach them.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 AM

I have always had a ceiling fan for as long as I can remember. If they are properly installed they are completley safe, in my opinion. They really help out to create a breeze in the rooms we have them, which in my house are living room areas and our bedroom. I think they help us be able to keep our air on 76 in summer but still be comfortable.
#11 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 AM

We have ceiling fans and have never had a problem. I can't imagine why they would be considered unsafe, unless they weren't installed properly. Just make sure to keep them well dusted if any of you have allergy problems.
#12 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 01:31 AM

How do I make it go the other direction for summer vs winter?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#13 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
How do I make it go the other direction for summer vs winter?
Mine have a little toggle switch on the hub just below where the blades are attached. Just flick it the other way when the fan is off
#14 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM

The only saftey concern I can see would be putting a body part into the path of the blades. Our bed is up against the wall so DS doesn't fall out and we got a new ceiling fan this year. Which I : too. I have had a few near misses getting on and off the bed though. I'm still getting used to it being there I guess.

I used to think that they could just fall down one day but when we installed ours it had a wire that you are to wrap around a joist in the attic so even if the screws all come loose and the fan falls the wire will save it from falling on you.
#15 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 PM

Just don't bring a helium balloon with a ribbon attached into the same room as the fan. ;-) Our rule is that balloons can only be in the living room or family room, since the office and dining room have ceiling fans.

Thanks for the tip about switching the direction in the winter!
#16 of 43 Old 07-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Other than a few popped balloons, our fans haven't hurt anybody yet.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#17 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Oh my gosh... I would have never known that! Thanks!!!
And if your fans only go in one direction, it's probably possible to change the angle on the blades for the same effect. \ verses / to scoop air up instead of pushing it down.
#18 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 AM

i love my fan .. i think as long as the are installed properly .. they are safe
#19 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 AM

I've had fans in every room in the houses I've lived in and never had a problem. Once you are old enough to stand on your bed and put your hand in the blades of the fan, you should know better.

I did once throw a hula hoop (it was the 80's) into a fan light, and the glass broke... but very little chance of anyone getting hurt

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#20 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 AM

In Mississippi everyone has ceiling fans practically. It's a must have!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#21 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 PM

My parents actually had a couple of ceiling fan blades break off and fly across the room--but that was a 20 year old fan that had been wobbling/vibrating visibly for oh, five or six years. Well, I guess it wasn't the blade part that broke, but the curved metal piece that the blades were screwed to. So if you can see it wobbling or shaking, do take the time to adjust or rebalance it.

For what it's worth, nothing was damaged and no one was hurt. In fact, after the first blade went flying, my parents just removed one on the opposite side so that it wasn't completely out of balance, and continued using it. That is until another blade broke off. But I wouldn't recommend this.
#22 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruppieGirl View Post

I have mine going the opposite because when I tried it counterclockwise we got no breeze. Maybe the blades are on a different way? Is this messing up our energy savings?
#23 of 43 Old 07-14-2008, 11:20 PM

I get hit by one of ours at least a handful of times each year, but we have low ceilings and I'm a clutz There is a bit of shock at first but no damage to hand, head, foot yes foot. anyway. We have one in every room.. ummm they all wobble

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#24 of 43 Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 AM

I've heard that being dusty can make them wobble a bit. Might be worth getting up on a ladder with a cloth.

My ceilings are high enough that dh has to stand on tiptoe to pull the cords to adjust the lights and fan. I have to use a step stool. So we leave the fan on and the lights off and just use a floor lamp for light as needed.
#25 of 43 Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM

very safe- we have one in almost every room and in teh upstairs hallway.
#26 of 43 Old 07-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Hi Mamas

We just moved in a two story house and it is hot hot hot upstairs. The old owners installed ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and they are very nice to help keep cool at night.... however... someone just mentioned to me that they are not safe.... is this true?? They did not give me a reason and I did not ask... but now its got me thinking.... ????
Check your attic insulation. There may be a low cost, permanent fix to the hot upstairs.
#27 of 43 Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

very interesting!! will check it out! thank you!!!

Thank you for the great responses!!!

#28 of 43 Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
In Mississippi everyone has ceiling fans practically. It's a must have!
: I'm in alabama & I don't think I've ever seen a house that didn't have ceiling fans. If I didn't have them I'd have to have the AC going from april to october with the heat & humidity the way it is here. I agree with pp's as long as it's safely installed and not wobbling, it's safe to use.
#29 of 43 Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 PM

I'd be lost and hot without ceiling fans! I love them and we run them daily.
#30 of 43 Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 PM

"Mythbusters" did an entire episode on ceiling fans once. Those guys crack me up.

The myth they were trying to prove/disprove was the urban myth of someone being decapitated by a ceiling fan.

The only way they could actually wack the gelatin head off of it's base was a) trick out the fan with a lawn mower motor as oppossed to the typical fan rotor and b) replace the fan blades with machette' type blades!

That show kinda reminds me of MTV's 'Jackass' but with science...

good witch

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page