Removing poop stains from sheets... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds just had what might be the biggest pooplosion of his 6 months on this earth...on our bed. After cleaning him up, I threw the sheets in the wash, normal detergent (I use all free/clear), hot wash/cold rinse/extra rinse. I figured that would be fine, since that's normally how I wash his diapers (well, I guess I do an extra cycle first with just baking soda and vinegar for the rinse) and have no problems with poop stains. Well, the poop stains didn't come out of the sheets. Not a huge deal since I know they're *clean* plus you can barely see them (yellowish bm poop on beige sheets) but I sure would like them gone, regardless!

Is there anything I can do? Or is it too late?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Did you already dry them?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If they haven't been in the dryer yet, I'd treat the area (use a stain pretreatment, or extra detergent, or soap) and then wash them again. IME, stains almost always come out by the 2nd washing, in rare cases by the 3rd. Anything still there after a number of rewashings is likely to be permenant.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 07-22-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

boo...yes i already dried them, didn't even think that the stains wouldn't come out b/c i've never had a problem w/ diapers. oh well thanks anyway!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

nak hang them in the sun. i sometimes rinse/soak pooplosions, but usually just sun them. it gets the stains out - try it, you will be amazed!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've gotten stains out of clothes that made it through the dryer, using the same technique I outlined above. It's less likely to work, but does still work sometimes. Also, sometimes stains fade over time even when I don't do anything special. Oh, I forgot to mention that sometimes I'll also use non clorine bleach- either as a laundry additive, mixed with the soap for pretreating, or both.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 AM

oxygen bleach (like oxyclean) gets out babypoop stains really well. sunning when wet has the same oxidizing action, but only on the side the sun hits.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 AM

I'm gonna second the sun bleaching-you will be stunned at how well it gets the poop stain out. I always sunned all my poop diapers and they stayed white throughout their use.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think a cold wash is recommended for poop and blood. I believe the hot water sets the stain.

I would soak it in the bathtub or washing machine with cold water and a scoop of oxyclean, overnight. If that doesn't work, try sunning. You have to keep spraying the stain with water in the sunlight.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 PM

I second the OxiClean recommendation...it has always worked for me for poo stains, even after I've washed and dried. Just fill your washer with hot water and soak for about 30 minutes before you start the cycle. Good luck!

User Tag List