why aren't my clothes coming clean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-04-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We moved into a new house about 6 weeks ago, and since then I've noticed that most of DD's and my lighter colored shirts have stains/spots on them, and most of the time I never even realized anything got on the shirt in the first place. Why aren't my clothes coming clean? I'm using the same detergent as I was using (All Free & Clear) and we even have the same washing machine as before. The water is kind of funky out here--could it have something to do with the water? It's hard water and we have a water softener just like we did at our last house, which had well water. This one has water from a rural water system but it's not really drinkable (tastes pretty bad) unless it's filtered.
#2 of 6 Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM

Maybe you have iron in your water and you are getting rust stains.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#3 of 6 Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer View Post
Maybe you have iron in your water and you are getting rust stains.
What do rust stains look like?
#4 of 6 Old 08-05-2008, 01:15 AM

Yep, sounds like rust stains. They are orange spots or your white just start looking orangish all over. Plus your toilets and bathtubs will start turning orange.
#5 of 6 Old 08-05-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

We had rust problems at our last house in the tub and sink, but I never had any problems with the clothes getting stained. This house doesn't have any build-up on the tubs or sinks, but my clothes aren't getting clean. The stains either look like grease stains (but they don't come out if I put Dawn on them, and grease stains normally do), or they are darker colored, sort of greyish stains. I wonder if there are other minerals that can stain clothing.
#6 of 6 Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm having the same issue with the grease looking stains on our clothing. DH is ready to go buy some Tide since he thinks the natural detergent is to blame. Interesting that I made the switch 2+ years ago though and it's just now getting bad with the stains. I have been using Ecos, soap nuts, and Charlie's lately. We also have hard water, but no water softener (I use baking soda in the wash and vinegar in the rinse though), not sure if that's causing some of the problems. Hoping you get some ideas here. . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page