glass jars? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What can I do with the empty glass jars I've been collecting from applesauce, spaghetti sauce and pickles? I've been washing them and storing them but I have no idea what to do with them.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use them to store items that we buy in bulk, (like beans, nuts, rice) so that only a small portion is in the main pantry area at one time. This also helps to deal with pantry pests. You can also freeze soups & stews in them if you don't fill them all the way. I also take my lunches in glass jars and then heat it up in a separate bowl that I keep at work.

I'm sure there's a lot more uses. I'm interested to see what other mamas use their glass jars for too.

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 
Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 AM

Lots of times we use them to drink out of.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:23 AM

:

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 AM

we use ours for food storage instead of tupperware, also to drink out of and the kids use them to store small toys and bugs in.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 PM

I also do all the things mentioned above with mine. I was also going to add that you can make candles. Or sell/donate them on craigslist or freecycle. Donate them to a local school for art projects. We have a really cool museum that has an art section. They are always taking donations.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 PM

Make gifts in a jar for Christmas!

Katie, mama to Katherine 21, Christian 19, Johannah 17, Nicholas 12, Genevieve 10, Matthew 7, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with my husband, Scott
Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM

We use them as sweet tea glasses, storing small craft items, shells, collections, making gifts-in-a-jar!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM

I am starting to amass quite the collection myself. I have this brilliant plan, though. I'm going to buy a bunch of couscous, rice, millet, quinoa, whatever and make a bunch of mixes, you know like you'd buy boxed mixes. Then I have them conveniently ready to go. All I've got to do is boil some water or whatever. I like the idea of it. We'll see if I actually do it. I really like to make my own mixes, as it's WAY cheaper and I get to control what goes in (ie salt and preservatives).

I also use glass jars to store dry beans, flour, sugar, etc. I just cut letters out of old mags and mod-podged them up ransom-style for labels. It's pretty cute if I say so myself.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Use them for storing dried foods, left overs for in the fridge, of for freezing food in (just make sure you don't fill them to the top!)

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't want to use plastic to store things so I have been using them for leftovers in the fridge but I never knew you could freeze stuff in them.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I am starting to amass quite the collection myself. I have this brilliant plan, though. I'm going to buy a bunch of couscous, rice, millet, quinoa, whatever and make a bunch of mixes, you know like you'd buy boxed mixes. Then I have them conveniently ready to go. All I've got to do is boil some water or whatever. I like the idea of it. We'll see if I actually do it. I really like to make my own mixes, as it's WAY cheaper and I get to control what goes in (ie salt and preservatives).

I also use glass jars to store dry beans, flour, sugar, etc. I just cut letters out of old mags and mod-podged them up ransom-style for labels. It's pretty cute if I say so myself.

Do you know of any websites with those kind of recipes? All I ever see are the cookie/brownie type recipes.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
Do you know of any websites with those kind of recipes? All I ever see are the cookie/brownie type recipes.
I'd be interested in finding out too!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a cabinet that I store the empties in, and I use them for food storage. When I get too many to fit into that cabinet, I recycle them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List