Chore list for husband? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband says he is willing to help with housework, and I do believe him - he definitely isn't lazy. But he's a slob, and he somewhat knows this about himself. I really stink at organizing and cleaning, but I work really hard to try to keep our house RESEMBLING a clean and orderly one. We're both somewhat handicapped in this area, and now we're teaching bad habits to our daughter. The thing is, I intensely want for us and our daughter to get to live in a clean house. Not a perfect one, just a basically clean one.

My husband is a really helpful person. I have sleep troubles and he often lets me get an extra hour in the morning and gets up and cooks for our daughter. BUT... just an example: he bought a new hat and I counted three days he left the tag in the middle of the floor, just after I had begged him to please at least throw away his own trash, as it makes me feel like a gas station attendant. Actually, I guess I've been asking him that for about two years now.

I do think he is willing to help, I just don't think he sees what needs to be done when it comes to cleaning. (Looks fine to him, maybe?) I think I need to make an extremely detailed and extremely specific list, and not expect him to "see" any chores that aren't listed, for the sake of our marriage.

Can anyone else tell me what their husbands do daily/weekly in terms of cleaning? I need some sample lists and google is doing me wrong.
#2 of 2 Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a WAHM, and I do most of the household stuff. DH isn't interested or proactive, but if I ask him to do stuff, he'll do it. And there are a couple of things that are his jobs and he takes ownership of on a weekly basis. Those are 1) taking out the trash every morning and 2) taking the trash to the curb on trash night. He also washes dishes about 50% of the time, and I've taught him the Flylady way of shining sinks.

Here's something I think might work if you're trying to get help without nagging. Some people post a list of daily chores on the fridge, in a plastic page protector with a dry erase marker. The list is up there for everyone to see - that way there's no "I didn't know that needed doing" excuse. Whoever does that chore for the day checks it off.

Here's our chore list, if you need a sample. Warning: it's very detailed, because I needed all these reminders when I first started Flylady.

Morning
squeegee & wipe down shower walls
swish & swipe toilet and bathroom vanity
put on a load of laundry
empty trash
toss last night's dry dishcloth & towel in the dirty clothes; replace with clean ones
unload dishwasher
fix breakfast
look through calendar
take vitamin
thaw something for supper
take DD to school
5-minute room rescue (basically, 5 minutes of straightening in your messiest room)
15-minute declutter or 2-minute Hot Spot Drill (depending on how much time I have)

Evening
Family pick-up time
bathe DD
Load dishwasher
straighten up kitchen
wipe countertops & stove
shine sink
Hang dirty dishcloth & dishtowel to dry
2 minutes straightening hot spots
look at tomorrow's calendar
wash face/brush teeth
take Pill
lay out clothes for tomorrow
put DD to bed

Regarding DHs being slobs - I know exactly what you mean. I've been married for almost 10 years, and I still don't know if DH literally doesn't see dirt/clutter, or if he just doesn't care enough to lean down and pick it up. I've given up caring. My mantra now is, if it bothers me, I fix it. I don't keep score or count how long it takes DH to do it, because that makes me feel like a martyr. Most of these things take about two seconds to rectify. If I sat and stewed about it, I'd waste much more precious time and energy than it takes to just do it myself.

Your DH sounds like a keeper.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page