who cleans the toilets in your house? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: who cleans the toilets in your home?
me 116 73.89%
spouse/partner 12 7.64%
dd 2 1.27%
ds 1 0.64%
maid/housecleaner 11 7.01%
other 15 9.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do, always. No one else in this house would clean them the way I want them cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How do you want them cleaned that no one else would clean them that way?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#33 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM

It depends. It used to always be me. Then once in a while after a child accident or some such my DH might have to do a quickie clean (does that count?). And lately we are trying to sell the house and have a housecleaner who comes before showings who cleans them. I am so going to miss her when the house sells
#34 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Usually me but DH sometimes does it before I get around to doing it.

I don't mind doing it. But then, we only have one bathroom, so.. LOL.
#35 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Me.
#36 of 52 Old 08-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

It's me and my DD1 who do the toilet scrubbing in our home (I couldn't check multiple options)...

We have two bathrooms--the "guest" bathroom that is used mostly by the kids (and includes the kitty litter box in the closet in there) and an occasional guest, and the master bathroom that is used by me as my dressing/makeup area, my husband, the kids (they like my bathroom better than theirs), and most of our guests--close friends and family.

I'm the one who cleans the master bathroom in it's entirety. I do a daily Swish & Swipe (when I remember) and I also scrub the bathtub, the shower stall (which I rarely use) and the sink...well, I clean the whole bathroom, I guess that's the answer to that...

My DD1 is responsible for cleaning the front bathroom. My kids--DD1-11 yr & DS-15--have chores around the house and we sat down together and negotiated their responsibilities. She is responsible for the bathroom and DS is responsible for the kitchen. We tried to swap out chores for some "variety" but both kids *hated* the other chore--DD1 prefers the bathroom to the kitchen and DS prefers the kitchen to the bathroom, although I personally HATE cleaning the bathroom. I'd much rather clean the kitchen.
#37 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 AM

My ds who is 12 has been cleaning them since he was 4. He loves it and who am I to deny him?
#38 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 PM

I told my DH about this thread. He asked "Did you tell them 'no one'?"
*Sigh* He doesn't notice when it's dirty, so he never notices that it's been cleaned.
Why do I scrub it, again?

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#39 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM

I checked other. DH cleans toilets way better than I do, so he does it most of the time. I do it when he's not around.

DS has this fascination with the toilet brush. When he gets old enough I have a feeling he will be doing the toilets!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#40 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM

I do. My husband is really good at tidying but not so good at cleaning.
#41 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 06:07 PM

I couldn't check more than 1.

Usually me, but ds 8 has started doing the toilets, sinks, and counters on occasion.

If I waited til dh decided it needed doing....let's not go there.
#42 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 06:09 PM

My husband cleans the toilets. I have a very strong gag reflex, and a young son that does not have good aim, and a toddler who is potty learning. I hate cleaning toilets.
#43 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 06:15 PM

I do. I can't recall a single time in the ten years that I've known my H that he's cleaned a toilet...this thread makes me wonder if I'd let him, though. I don't see how he could know how.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#44 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 PM

:

This thread is making me feel very bad...

I do it. I do most every chore in the house. Heck I even do lawns in the summer (but I looovee that chore) and shovel the driveway in winter. In all the time I have known DH I have never seen him clean the bathroom-ever. I can't think of any chore DH does on a regular basis & its not like there aren't any 'assigned' to him either.

No wonder I feel like the used mom. I can hardly get DDs to pick up their room so I can vacuum it, never mind an actual chore. We constantly have to nag ODD to feed the dog even... Seems like in my house mom=maid. DH barely cleans up for himself, and does not encourage the girls to clean up after themselves either. Never mind the complaining when they actually are requested to do something to help...

Perhaps a s/o is in order, but I am too tired for it now! (not because of cleaning my house, though, just got back from vacation-and yeah I did clean the house when I was there too....)

Heather
#45 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned

There's an "other"? Is that, like, the Toilet Fairy? She comes in the night and sprinkles Fairy Dust and all the skid marks and mildew disappear?

That would be nice...
#46 of 52 Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 PM

I usually do them, although recently, we decided to come up with a more equal division of labor... We both work outside the home and share home chores, but it seemed like I was doing the bulk on it. So the agreement was that I would clean the downstairs, including the bathroom , and DH and the kids would do the upstairs. However, it hasn't worked out so well. The step kids complain that, since they're only here on the weekends, they shouldn't have to clean and since we've been asking them to clean their rooms and the bathroom, they haven't been coming over as much. Which just makes us sad. (Of course, they just started back to school and are loaded down with homework and extracurricular activities so that could be the reason, since we really haven't been nagging them or anything) ...and our 5 year old tries, but needs alot of help and encouragement...sometimes it's easier to just do it myself.

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
#47 of 52 Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 AM

I do, but dh gets to clean out any nasty food that goes bad in the back of the pantry (think potatoes you forgot you bought) or veggie crisper. I can deal with the toilets *so* much better than foul smelling food, and he will gladly take the food (though he will clean the toilet if I ask ... honestly all I ask is that he teaches our boys to *wipe the rim* when they are done pee'ing ).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#48 of 52 Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 AM

We have 3, and I clean them all. I actually don't mind because no one is overly disgusting with missing or anything.

I am loving baking soda and lemon juice for cleaning the inside of the bowl.

When my m/s was bad, my husband did clean them (frequently) to keep me from feeling even more nauseated, but now it's my job again.
#49 of 52 Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
I do. It's not a chore I'd willingly trade. For starters, my husband thinks it must be the grossest thing ever, even though he's never lived in a house with a grody toilet (and he has great aim, so no issues). It's my job and he feels like he has to go overboard with the tub and kitchen and floors to make up for it.

I worked as a housekeeper in a state park for a summer in high school

My toilet will never be anywhere near as bad as the boat launch toilets (de facto fish cleaning station) or any major holiday weekend in the campground comfort stations.

The toilet takes me all of 60 seconds twice a week. What makes it so unbearable? I mean, it's not like the job requires waders and a gallon of bleach in each hand.
Ditto that, esp. the bolded part. In exchange for me cleaning toilets, DH does ALL of our laundry (which I hate doing) AND cleans the cat box (now that's gross!). I'd say I made out pretty well in that deal. That's how we negotiated all of our household chores, "I'll do this if you do that." We both feel like we made out pretty well so I guess that system works for us.
#50 of 52 Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM

I clean the grownup one and my oldest son cleans theirs.
#51 of 52 Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM

I clean the one in the master bath usually when DD is taking one of her epic bath adventures. DH does the one in the guest bathroom. Ever since a cat box went in there I can hardly stand to use it much less clean it.
#52 of 52 Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM

The cleaning ladies do for the most part. The toilets just don't stay clean long enough though (before the next visit for cleaning) so I usually do them once every second week. There is no way DH would clean the toilet.
DH does wipe the seat and rim of the toilet after he pees though. That helps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page