Freezer safe canning jars - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know where I can get these? I've tried to look online and in Walmart and Target.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#2 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Walmart should have them in the canning asile.

I buy mine at yard sales and thrift store, but have also seen them for sale at the grocery store and Ace Hardware along with TrueValue hardware.
#3 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

So can you just use any of the ball glass jars, or are certain ones safe for the freezer. I thought I remembered breaking one once by putting it in the freezer, but the memory is foggy.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#4 of 14 Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 AM

Bumping this back up because I want to know more about glass in the freezer too. I recently froze a glass container with plastic lid (Martha Stewart K-Mart from many years ago) with great success but worried about it the whole time. Is there a rule of thumb for glass in freezer?
#5 of 14 Old 08-31-2008, 05:46 PM

I looked it up on the internet earlier today because I am making strawberry freezer jam today and only had the regular glass jars. The consensus seemed to be that it's OK to use the regular jars and lids in the freezer. I put the jars in a ziplock bag just in case there's breakage or an explosion!
#6 of 14 Old 08-31-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMommy View Post

Bumping this back up because I want to know more about glass in the freezer too. I recently froze a glass container with plastic lid (Martha Stewart K-Mart from many years ago) with great success but worried about it the whole time. Is there a rule of thumb for glass in freezer?
Yes-headspace. Be sure to leave ample room at the top of the jar to allow for expansion.
#7 of 14 Old 08-31-2008, 10:22 PM

I freeze in mason jars fairly often, and its always been fine. Just make sure theres plenty of space at the top so that they don't explode.
#8 of 14 Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 AM

WalMart sells glass can-or-freeze jars in pint size (the wide-mouth pints). Be sure that whatever you use is a straight sided jar; that will minimize any chance of breakage. The non-straight sided jars are more likely to break when whatever you're freezing expands.
#9 of 14 Old 07-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Bumping for a friend

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#10 of 14 Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM

and make sure you not only leave room for expansion, but you don't want the top of your food to even touch the lid once it freezes cause it can cause rust which will ruin your whole jar

::
#11 of 14 Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM

Companies who make canning jars use tempered glass to make the jars. This means that the glass has been tempered or made to handle extreme temperatures. Most canning jars are made for use in a canner and therefore they are tempered for high heat. Some people like to use canning jars for freezing. This is an acceptable practice if the jars have been made for freezing. This means they have been tempered for extreme heat or extreme cold. These jars are labeled as being safe for freezing. If you look closely, it is usually formed into the glass and has the word freezer or freezer safe somewhere on the jar. I have typically found it just below where the screw band rests on the jar. If the jar is not made to use in the freezer and has only been tempered for high heat, it may crack.

Commercial jars like Mayo, peanut butter, etc may be tempered for heat and not cold, but are not recommended for second time use in the freezer or canner.

LuAnn (I am an Educator for Ohio State University Extension)
#12 of 14 Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn_D View Post
Commercial jars like Mayo, peanut butter, etc may be tempered for heat and not cold, but are not recommended for second time use in the freezer or canner.

LuAnn (I am an Educator for Ohio State University Extension)
pean

I always use "real" mason jars for both waterbath and pressure canning, but usually use peanut butter jars with plastic lids for freezer jam. I haven't had any problems with breakage. Are there any food safety issues with reusing jars.
#13 of 14 Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
Are there any food safety issues with reusing jars.
Not glass ones. It's the lids that could be a problem - but not really in the freezer.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 14 Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Yes, I just use the regular mason jars in the freezer. I even freeze soup in them for quick meals when I don't feel like cooking.

First special delivery - April 2010 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page