Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On using cloth in the household.

Personal Cloth in the Bathroom
and
Cloth Menstrual Products.

Do you find the idea or use of one or both repulsive?

There was a local blogger who actually wanted to know how many women out of 10 are not repulsed by the use of these products.

so I am asking to gauge a better idea as I am curious also.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

forgot to sub. (blush)

Old 08-31-2008, 06:21 PM

I LOVE my cloth pads and are not disgusted by them in the least. While I'm not really 'disgusted' by family cloth in the bathroom, I'm not real wild about it either, and I don't think we'll be getting rid of the TP any time soon. We CD and use reusable cloth paper towels and mama cloth, so I feel like we're making our contribution already and can stick with disposable TP.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:28 PM

I'm not at all repulsed by cloth menstrual products-- in fact, whenever my fertility returns (I'm currently breastfeeding), I'm going to get some!

As far as personal cloth in the bathroom goes... I hate to say it, but the idea of dealing with #2, uh, residue grosses me out. Pee I could handle, but no way could I deal with adult poo. (Baby poo is fine, we part-time cloth diaper around here.)

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 PM

I use a Diva cup and I'm about to switch to cloth pads (finally found some I like that I can afford). I personally like the idea of family cloth at least for urine but DH is 100% against it. I tried reminding him we use cloth diapers but that didn't work. Next time I'm pregnant however I'm doing it for myself. I'd have to imagine cotton feels better than paper when you are in the bathroom every 10 minutes.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 08-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use a Diva cup with cloth pads as a backup. I also use family cloth and cloth wipes for the kids. DH prefers toilet paper, but he doesn't care what I wipe my butt with.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 PM

I'm having trouble with the idea of family cloth for all of us. DH is staunchly against it. I've yet to use mama cloth-- I bought supplies, but then got pregnant. I've yet to cloth diaper too, but am planning to after the new baby starts fitting into my hand-me-down diapers I'm getting.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 PM

I use a DivaCup, no cloth pads. I used cloth wipes and diapers for the kids, but we do not use family cloth due to no on-site washing facilities.

I am not at all repulsed by any of the options.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 AM

I use both and am not repulsed by either.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use reusable menstrual products- I have a diva cup and homemade cloth pads. I also keep disposable pads and tampons on hand for guests (there are a lot of teenaged girls visiting these days!) and if one of them has a "menstrual emergency" I can't offer them something reusable.

I'm not yet sure what my daughters will do when they menstruate, but I have plenty of disposable pads and tampons on hand, plus I'm more than willing to share my pads (if they're willing to use mine) or sew new ones for them. I was thinking of maybe dying all of our pads different colors to easily tell them apart.

Cloth "toilet paper" for regular use is just beyond my comfort level. I have used cloth to help clean up a potty trained child who'd had a poop accident (and was young enough to need my help cleaning up), but then the cloth goes right into the washing machine with the soiled clothes. I have occasionaly used a handkerchief to wipe myself when we were low or out of toilet paper (or the extra rolls weren't yet put in the bathroom) but I don't make a habit of it, and those hankies go right into the washing machine (which is in my bathroom.)

I'm not "repulsed" by the thought of "family cloth" but it's slightly beyond my personal comfort level. I woudln't object to using family cloth at somebody else's home if that's all they had available, but it's not something I plan to implement in my own home.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 AM

I'm using a cloth pad right now. Love 'em, never going back to plastic and paper.

I keep thinking about "family cloth", but haven't implemented it (yet?). I'd have absolutely zero problem with it for urine or menstrual blood, but I'm not sure about for feces. I'm not repulsed by the idea, though.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned

my childeren and i both use family cloth in the bathrrom my husband wont.

i also use mam pads and love them i see nothing wrong with eather!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 AM

I use both and find neither repulsive. We have the bath tap right next to the loo so we wash and wipe, so the cloths don't actually get soiled. In fact I've been away for 3 weeks and I'm hating using TP, seems so inefficient in comparison.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM

we use both, love them, will never go back. In fact, I've become such a family cloth fanatic, I am considering carrying it with me wherever I go. I feel so much cleaner and fresher! DH won't use the FC, but my 9 year old does, as does the 19 month old!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post
I use both and find neither repulsive. We have the bath tap right next to the loo so we wash and wipe, so the cloths don't actually get soiled. In fact I've been away for 3 weeks and I'm hating using TP, seems so inefficient in comparison.

Thank you Sadystar for chiming in from Spain. The difference in culture is helpful I believe.

I will make more comments later from my own personal perspective but I don't wish to taint the replies as I am asking for an informational purpose.

Thank you all for your input, please feel free to keep er coming.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Another for cloth

We used 100% cloth diapers, (done now )

I'm 100% on mama cloth (they're easy to make! especially if you have some onesies that are stained/holey beyond repair and you can use the scraps that have the snaps to make the cover part...)

and
DD and I use family cloth for pee only.

Try asking this on a mainstream board, though, and see what happens...

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm very far on the opposite side of repulsed-- I'm an advocate! :

Love, love, love cloth menstrual products. So much so, I'm completely disgusted by the idea of using disposables for postpartum-- but I don't think I could keep up with the washing and I don't want to burden anyone else with washing my pads.

Love, love, love the family cloth and am repulsed when I have to use tp and only tp Now, I admit, we all use tp for the first wipe after poos, but use a wet cloth to finish up. I just can't stand the lint balls and knowing that wiping a dry piece of paper on my bum isn't getting it all off. Not to mention how sooooooft cloth is when you are pregnant and peeing all the time.

Think about this: If you had poo on your arm, you wouldn't just wipe it with tp and call it clean, now would you?

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifluffedthree View Post
On using cloth in the household.

Personal Cloth in the Bathroom
and
Cloth Menstrual Products.

Do you find the idea or use of one or both repulsive?

There was a local blogger who actually wanted to know how many women out of 10 are not repulsed by the use of these products.

so I am asking to gauge a better idea as I am curious also.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I use both cloth pads and family cloth...not repulsed in the least. I'm not sure why people find it so repulsing...
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Cloth pads don't gross me out. Nor does cloth tp for pee's. The thought of cloth tp for poo does gross me out, but cloth diapers do not. I dont find baby/toddler poo to be nasty like I do adult poo.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM

I find toilet cloth / family cloth to be disgusting. But cloth menstrual products do not bother me.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM

I use a Diva and we used CD with DD. With family cloths I'm afraid I'll toss them in the toilet and clog it. My 3am have-to-go-the-bathroom self isn't very smart.

I've been thinking that maybe when DD is completely potty trained we'll move the Diaper Champ to the bathroom and try cloths for a while. Maybe keep TP around for sleep peeing.

Anyway, I find neither idea repulsive.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in replying with your personal experiences and thoughts about your use.

I use cloth menstrual products and we use cloth tp, towels, dish towels, napkins, swiffers etc. Recycle, reduce, reuse etc is and has just been our way of life for a very long time.

I did an article for our local paper. It was nice, it was interesting, the staff was very pleasant to work with, and I was flattered that the local paper contacted me to do this piece about seeking a paperless life. It ran, my life resumed and I thought it was back to business and school as usual.
I was super surprised when I received and email from a producer and ended up doing an interview in Perth, AU and was asked to do one in Ireland as well. I did not know that the article was re-released all over the world and across the US again. In looking at where the articles had ran in google I came across a hometown blog. It is a more casual blog, supposed to be funny, and I suppose for most it is.
Long story short there was the question posed of how green is too green and the presenter wanted to know how many women out of 10 would be repulsed by the idea of cloth.

It appears we have at least 10 replies from a board that has over 118,000 members from all over the world.

Thank you.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM

I use a Diva cup with cloth pads as a backup. I also use cloth wipes for the kids. There is simply NO WAY I could do family cloth or that my DH would go for that - however I think is great that others do it - I just would find it on the gross side to deal with so I pass on that With that said we use as little TP as possible
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 AM

cloth *everything* in our house - I find paper to be disgusting

*ok - *almost* everything - I'm switching to family cloth - that will be interesting when DH & I discuss it. I think it will be very beneficial for the children, but as has been mentioned, I'm not positive about the poo-part. I don't think it will be much of an issue if it's just me & the girls while we have cloth diapers anyway ... I'm not even sure I would *want* DH to do it !!

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 09-05-2008, 01:58 PM

No, not at all. In fact, I am more repulsed by the idea of disposable feminine care products (and cloth diapers) sitting in a landfill for untold amounts of time. If anything, reusable menstrual products, family cloth, cloth diapers, and other reusable household cleaning fabrics are more sanitary. All of these items are thoroughly cleaned, if not sterilized, in between uses. Plus, all of these products are way more effective! I figure that those who find such items repulsive (such a strong word!) are either ignorant to their benefits or are pretty uncomfortable with natural bodily "functions." As you can tell, I am a total advocate for anything reusable!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM

I use a combination of a menstrual cup and cloth pads...depends on what I'm doing for the day and sometimes my mood, LOL.

I've been using cloth for pee for a while. I don't find the idea of it gross at all but, in practice, I can't move on to using for poop. I guess I have hang ups about it. I've also been hesitant to indoctrinate my kids or DH on using cloth. Not sure why...probably related to societal perceptions but I can't quite put my finger on the exact reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
Try asking this on a mainstream board, though, and see what happens...
Yeah, I don't think MDC is a slice of the 'mainstream' population. I think you'll find many more pro-cloth opinions here than just about anywhere else.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Not repulsed at all.

I agree, though, that MDC is NOT your typical mainstream venue. People like my parents and in-laws and coworkers would be HORRIFIED. I think that's more the typical reaction.

We use family cloth here, and I have used cloth pads. I use cloth wipes for my babies, and I can't see any difference between washing THEIR bums with cloth and washing MY bum with cloth. It's so much more comfortable anyway, and if I'm washing dipes anyway, what's the difference? Poop is poop, once you get past the exclusively breastfed age. They eat the same as what I eat, so the poop is essentially the same.

I haven't used disposable menstrual products in 12 years, except for postpartum when I can't be bothered to wash a gazillion pads. I mostly use a cup, though, not cloth, but I do own cloth pads and I'm not repulsed at all.

I do, however, find the idea of letting folks outside our family use our cloth to be GROSS. I would never, and I would never use another family's cloth, either. I keep TP in the house for anyone besides me, DH, and the kiddos. I think DH still uses it sometimes, too, out of habit more than anything else.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the continued answers.
Your replies, positive, negative or in between are all welcomed.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
Love, love, love the family cloth and am repulsed when I have to use tp and only tp Now, I admit, we all use tp for the first wipe after poos, but use a wet cloth to finish up. I just can't stand the lint balls and knowing that wiping a dry piece of paper on my bum isn't getting it all off. Not to mention how sooooooft cloth is when you are pregnant and peeing all the time.
Thank you for this! I've been trying to figure out how to manage the switch, since the idea of poopy cloth kinda skeeves me out.

I am not disgusted by cloth. I used cloth pp, then switched to a cup. I still have and use cloth pantiliners on those light days. I've been making the transition away from cloth in the kitchen and just ordered cloth for the bathroom, even though my DH is adamantly against it. I figure even if only I use it, and just for pee, we'll cut down our TP consumption drastically.

I asked my DH why he had a problem with family cloth but not cloth diapers, and he said he does have a problem with cloth diapers, but figured he'd lost that battle before it ever began, so never brought it up.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 AM

Not disguisted in the least by either. I use both in fact (although I prefer my keeper to using cloth pads most of the time).

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List