Dealing with old wood floor in bad shape - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have wood flooring in our apartment, which has been neglected for a long time--not sure how long. The building owners aren't interested in doing anything about the floors.

Meanwhile they're very scuffed, in some places broken and a bit splintered, and in some places they have water damage.

We're doing some home repairs, with an eye towards childproofing. I'd like to improve the floor--especially dealing with the potential splinters and little holes. It would be nice to get it looking a bit better, but I'm not willing to do the kind of serious floor work that the building owners should be paying for, of course.

Is there anything we could do? I'm thinking, maybe putting some kind of wax in the holes or splinters?
#2 of 6 Old 09-06-2008, 02:52 PM

we also rent and our floor is not in great shape.

we got a rug.

problem solved

That's not much help is it? The floor we have needs to be sanded down and refinished, and there is one board that needs to be replaced. There's no way I'd complete those repairs on my own.

You can put wood paste into the holes, if they are small enough. It dries and fills in the gaps. You can usually find it at hardware stores.
#3 of 6 Old 09-06-2008, 04:07 PM

I've been using wood putty to fill in the gaps where splintering is beginning... Take a box knife/exacto knife and shave off any large splinters, fill the gap with wood putty (use gloves), let it dry then sand the area with a medium-fine sandpaper to smooth it out. It doesn't look all that pretty, but it prevents the floor from splintering further. After pulling 3 splinters out of my DH's feet 3 days in a row, I finally got down on the floor and did that.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 6 Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM

If you can get their permission, rent a sander and do the work yourself. It takes a weekend to do it, but you'll save $. I did call around when I was considering having some floors redone here and the cheapest I got was $1.50 a sq ft for sanding + refinishing. You could also have them professionally sanded (which I'd recommend because one wrong move with the sander and you've seriously ruined the floor) and stain them yourself (super easy part).
#5 of 6 Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
#6 of 6 Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM

Fill with wood putty and paint the floors with porch paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page