Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's it. Why not.
#2 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Because I don't believe the world is going to end. Or even that life as we know it will end. or even that the supply of toilet paper will end.

Because I think the hype and fear, and the actions that are based in fear, cause a lot of problems, beyond the real ones that might exist.

Because I think we manifest our realty to some extent, and i don't want to manifest a reality where I'm shooting you because you want to borrow some coffee and sugar and toilet paper.

Remember in The Long Winter when some of the boys were stockpiling seed grain and had built a fake wall in their house so no one would know? And they weren't sharing with the town folk who were going hungry until Pa went over and made them share and then a bunch of the men rode through the storm to get more grain for seed to share with the whole town? Well, I liked Pa a whole lot better than the stock pilers in that book.
#3 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Because I think the hype and fear, and the actions that are based in fear, cause a lot of problems, beyond the real ones that might exist.

Because I think we manifest our realty to some extent, and i don't want to manifest a reality where I'm shooting you because you want to borrow some coffee and sugar and toilet paper.
You know, the thing I noticed is that once I quit watching the news on tv and listening to the fearmongering my life because so much happier. I was really fearfull after the WTC and that is when I made the decision to stop watching.

Plus I can;t count how many the world is ending paranoia scenarios I've lived through.
#4 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Maybe we are the only ones.

::
#5 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 PM

We have not stock piled previously, we are now though. Previously I don't think there was a real threat of goods being hard to get or that they would be more expensive.
If hyper inflation was to occur we do not have the extra money to purchase more expensive goods we all ready live pay check to pay check now.

We do not have neighbors to rely on or land to grow food.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#6 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM

I am rethinking my stockpiling. I have no chocolate in the house, and have had a glass of wine and so I can't drive to the store to get any. And wouldn't anyway because its pouring rain and I don't want to be that lady who goes out in the pouring rain to buy chocolate.

So, I will start stock piling chocolate in case I start drinking heavily due to economic stress. And coffee, because the thought of running out of coffee strikes fear in the very heart of me. And sugar and cream because what is coffee without sugar and cream.

But that's it.

Except maybe wine.

And does it count if I have 10 bags of kale in my freezer that I bought at the organic farm and froze for winter because its $2.00 a bunch and local instead of $4.00/bunch from Calif.?

Eek. Maybe I really am stock piler. Sorry, Ard!
#7 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What is your definition of stockpiling? I live in a region that gets hit hard by snow several times each winter (as in all county roads get closed - the mail doesn't come or go, everything except the hospital closes, the gas tucks don't come to refill the gas stations, food trucks don;t make it through, everyone has to stay home until the roads get dug out.)

Every October I buy one or two 10L jugs of water and some non-perishable food that does not have to be heated to eat, flashlight batteries, stuff like that. It either gets donated to the food bank or taken on our family camping trip the next summer.

I stock up thoroughly. We have many senior neighbours and I want to have enough to share if need be. It isn't a matter of hoarding food and awaiting some horrible disaster. If there is a horrible disaster I can't imagine that we would hoard everything for our own family - we would want to help others as much as possible.

Maybe this isn't the kind of thing you had in mind, though. Do you mean this or people buying and storing enough food for several months or longer?
#8 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post

Naw, I am right there with you. I simply don't believe the sky is falling, even with the current crisis. I think things might get tough, but I have complete faith in the universe that it will all work out. I have enough anxiety and don't need to add any thing else on my plate to worry about.

afro.jpg
#9 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Because my parents stockpiled for Y2K in a really big way. And I got white cotton briefs in my Christmas stocking for the next 6 years.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#10 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 PM

I think we meant things like getting weapons, pulling your money out of banks and converting to cash or gold or silver, buying several years worth of clothing, having several months of food stockpiled, etc.

Beyond the usual pantry stash for storms or a missed paycheck or 2.
#11 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Because my parents stockpiled for Y2K in a really big way. And I got white cotton briefs in my Christmas stocking for the next 6 years.
:
#12 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:

I'm there with you, too, and think you said it quite well in your original post.
#13 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I think we meant things like getting weapons, pulling your money out of banks and converting to cash or gold or silver, buying several years worth of clothing, having several months of food stockpiled, etc.

Beyond the usual pantry stash for storms or a missed paycheck or 2.
Well, I'm stockpiling in that I'm buying anything I can get my hands on if it's free or nearly free with coupons, plus second hand clothes I plan to have my ds wear anyways, plus some knowledge that I've never had previously. But as for everything else, between my siblings, parents, and grandparents, we probably have enough. My grandpa has guns, my grandma and sister know how to sew, my dad's house is stuffed with clutter that could actually become useful if resources were running low, my grandma knows how to grow fruits and veggies and can them, etc.

I don't *expect* it to get bad enough that I need, say, my grandpa's guns. But it's nice to know they're there. If I had absolutely no support system in place and I had the money, I probably would buy more.
#14 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
OH my, that shouldn't be this funny...
#15 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 PM

I want to hang out through the crisis with the lady who's stockpiling chocolate. And wine.

ETA: You can never wear too many pairs of white cotton briefs during a crisis.
#16 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 PM

Dude, I don't even like to but the big package of toilet paper. What if I need to up and leave the country? I like to travel light.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#17 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I want to hang out through the crisis with the lady who's stockpiling chocolate. And wine.
Me too laughup:
#18 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
Dude, I don't even like to but the big package of toilet paper. What if I need to up and leave the country? I like to travel light.
I got the best deal I've ever found on the most comfy toilet paper, and I bought 96 roles
#19 of 100 Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 PM

It really depends on the definition of stockpiling.

As in I'm getting ready for a depression and believe the world as we know it's going to end and I'm putting everything I possibly can get my greedy little hands on in the garage and hiding it so I can help my family make it through? Uh, no.

But I do keep extra pasta sauce, pasta and rice (and I'm not talking about the bulk packages. Just the regular sized ones) in the pantry where if we were short on pay period because of something unexpected we wouldn't have to use the cc or take it out of savings. I did buy the jumbo pack or toilet paper and paper towels because I saved $5 on the paper towels by not buying them seperately, and I have three bathrooms and didn't want to run out of tp constantly. Other than that, no.

I don't really think I stock pile. More like just trying to keep the household running smoothly.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#20 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am rethinking my stockpiling. I have no chocolate in the house, and have had a glass of wine and so I can't drive to the store to get any. And wouldn't anyway because its pouring rain and I don't want to be that lady who goes out in the pouring rain to buy chocolate.

So, I will start stock piling chocolate in case I start drinking heavily due to economic stress. And coffee, because the thought of running out of coffee strikes fear in the very heart of me. And sugar and cream because what is coffee without sugar and cream.

But that's it.

Except maybe wine.

And does it count if I have 10 bags of kale in my freezer that I bought at the organic farm and froze for winter because its $2.00 a bunch and local instead of $4.00/bunch from Calif.?

Eek. Maybe I really am stock piler. Sorry, Ard!
: I'm down for the chocolate
#21 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 AM

I wouldn't say I stockpile for disasters because I don't think the world is ending soon. If it is, I doubt my paltry pantry will help me much.

That being said, if I find great deals on things I will buy a lot. I like to save money.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#22 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 01:36 AM

Eh. I don't stock pile. I did, for a while, after 9/11 because I'm in NYC. A go bag for if I had to leave in a hurry and a stay box in case we had to hole up in the house for some reason. It all went bad or got really dented and banged up and I worried about it.) It just panicked me.

And I don't have the room to really stock pile. So I worry about what we'll need short term, not necessarily in an emergency but just due to every day life. For that, I stock up. Stuff like a couple rolls of TP and paper towels, extra pasta and sauce, extra oatmeal. It's basically the stuff that makes it a little easier if I don't have to worry about if we're almost out. And I do freezer meals too, so I have a few meals that I can get on the table easily.

Same thing with money. I have an extra $20 in a "secret pocket" in my wallet. It's not for an emergency really, it's for "oops! I have less cash than I thought but I need to buy an MTA card." kind of stuff. At home, we have a bit too, I guess it's $60 or so. Pizza money, laundry machine money, etc.

That said, I've decided that the kinds of things I have on hand that make every day life a little easier are also reasonable enough for disaster situations.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#23 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM

I don't stockpile for catastrophes or disasters.

I do it because it allows me to eat local food year round, get good deals on bulk items and not need to run out to the store cause I'm out of chocolate. It also makes it cheaper to eat organic food.
#24 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
I don't really think I stock pile. More like just trying to keep the household running smoothly.
This. I do wish we had more available $$ to get a slightly larger amount around the house. I like buying in bulk. I hate running to the store because I'm out of X and forgot to get it the last time I was there.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#25 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 03:28 PM

I have a pretty well-stocked pantry at all times. It's not like it would get me through Armageddon, but if we had an earthquake or something we'd be okay for a week or so at least, I'd imagine. I probably don't have quite as much water as I should, but we'd have enough for drinking only.

I figure if I were stockpiling for a bigger disaster (like longer than a week or two), I'd probably need a gun or something to defend my stash. Which I'm not interested in. At all.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#26 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

But that's it.

Except maybe wine.
I think you've convinced me to start stockpiling.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#27 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 03:40 PM

I stockpile chocolate!!

Hey green and blacks was two fro six bucks!

I have ten in my fridge
if the world ends ,You bring the wine and I have the chocolate,at least we will die happy

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#28 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 03:48 PM

natural disasters - I don't stockpile for them becasue I live in the middle of the prairies in Canada. We don't get hurricanes, there are no fault lines(or anything that could be considered a concern for the next 100 years or more), too far away from mountains to worry about mud slides & avalanches, tornados are mild & don't do much damage. Flooding happens every few years, but not bad here as the nearest river is 45minutes away & is small as far as rivers go. Yeah we get winter storms, but nothing closes for them & we usually have 2-3 days notice.

man made disasters - again I'm in Canada & our economy is slowed but isn't facing the situation that is in the USA. In reality if things got bad in Canada I would't be surprised if the gov't turned a few levers/pushed a few buttons & the water, power & gas that the US gets from us would be cut off. Our banks & financial institutions are protected by the gov't so bailouts wouldn't be needed. Aside from gangs, people who own guns own them for hunting.

Plus if worst came to worst Dad has enough farmland that all of us could have our own half section of land.

Dh could take up the family moonshine traditions & we'd all stay warm.lol
#29 of 100 Old 09-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

I don't stockpile -- I do stock up a few weeks' worth because I am a planner by nature and I get a feeling of security knowing that if something temporary happened (illness, weather, unexpected bill), that we will be okay for a bit. Also, we live in hurricane country and after charlie when our power was out for 9 days, I learned having a bit of stuff makes things a lot more convenient lol

As far as stockpiling for an apocalyptic situation -- I don't for several reasons: agreeing with what fek&fuzz said, and also because .... the stock you've piled is going to run out.... plain and simple.

I think there are way more effective things to cultivate in a state of *emergency* rather than a stockpile of goods --- knowledge, negotiating skills, the ability to remain calm and centered in a volatile situation, community, connections to people/services, useful skills (gardening/midwifery/knitting etc )--
#30 of 100 Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 AM

I don't stockpile because I don't think things are that bad and I don't want to be focused on worrying, to me it is bad karma.

We had a hurricane in Ohio two weeks ago and some people lost power for a week. On the local paper's comment section people were talking about the chest freezers with tons of food that they lost. It seems to me if you are serious about stockpiling because of an apocalyptic event you can't be stockpiling dependent on electricity.

Married to the love of my life, mom to DS :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page