How to insulate rental apartment?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have ideas on how to insulate a rental unit? We live in a two-family house that seems to have no insulation and a terrible heating system. Luckily it has new windows, but the walls are freezing!! We are thinking of duct-taping blankets onto the bedroom wall (at the head of the bed), but I'm hoping some of you have better ideas. Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Heavy blankets, quilts or rugs hung over the walls are the best non-permanent way I know of to insulate.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

How do you hang quilts and blankets on the wall? Would you put hooks in the wall, or maybe a curtain rod? I should probably visit my local hardware store and see what they'd recommend. Thanks for your suggestion!
#4 of 8 Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 AM

I think if you found a nice quilt or a nice but not to heavy rug it would look very nice hung on a wall.It would be part of the decor and no one would know it was for insulation. I'm sure the hardware store would have something that would hold it up well enough.
#5 of 8 Old 10-08-2008, 06:10 AM

you could also try an old mattrass against the wall, above blankets. this is a favourite methode from finland (artic circle region).

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
#6 of 8 Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 PM

plastic over the windows! I think 3M makes a special window insulation kit.

also, if you have drafts at your door you can either put towels or sew a tube like structure with cat litter in it.

do you have a washer/dryer in your apartment? I have heard of people rerouting the dryer vent into their places
#7 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM

I am guessing there is no insulation in the walls. This can be fixed with blown in cellulose, but it will cost a few thousand dollars for your landlord. If the owner is in the same building you might have a change at this You could try suggesting that the condensation on the walls may harm the building in the long term.

If you have a low household income, you may be eligible for free weatherization from your state weatherization agency.

New construction has r-13 to r-19 in the walls, it would take lots of blankets to reach this level!
#8 of 8 Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Yes, definitely call your local power company and ask about thier weatherization program.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page