Traditional Homemaking Skills - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 618 Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
This is exactly what I'm striving for. It's nice to be among people who "get it":
Yes I agree. I love to be so traditional, yet I am absolutely my own person and modern and edgy. I'm the June Cleaver with the lip piercing and the tattoo smack dab in the middle of her chest that you can pretty much see in any shirt or dress.
I LOVE breaking stereotypes down as well. It's onne of my favorite things to do in fact. When other Moms first meet me, I'm pretty sure they are not assuming I'm at home cooking from scratch and really really into setting a beautiful holiday table, and Def. NOT crocheting!!
But that is me. All the while the next day going to get some new ink.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 618 Old 12-14-2008, 10:33 PM

Sharon Anne, I've done filet crochet and I find it mind-numbingly boring. One of these days I'll do one with our last name and probably some Irish crochet motifs around the edges, but for the most part ugh; double crochet and chains over and over and over and over again, while having to actually pay attention?!?! Not my idea of fun.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#303 of 618 Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 PM

It's becoming clear to me that I need an apron, and I could so use some advice. Ideally, I'll be making it because then I can use my love of crazy batiks, but I want something that I won't care too bad if I get bacon grease or spaghetti sauce on it.

So, anyone know a good way to get out bacon grease?

Also, know any good tutorials for a full apron? The 1/2 apron shown above was cute, but I need something that covers a large chunk of my shirt.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#304 of 618 Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Still looking for my perfect apron too --- people look at me like I have 4 heads when they ask me what I've asked of dh for Christmas and I tell them, an apron -- I've even had a couple of people laugh and I am like, no I am totally serious.

I love the idea of sewing and I think I could be good at it but I don't have a sewing machine yet and well -- I am a larger lady so that would be a heck of a lot of hand-sewing and I want a beautiful apron. I don't care if it gets stained per se -- I like to use my nice things rather than keep them away, but I want it to be beautiful and not cost a fortune!
#305 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Yes I agree. I love to be so traditional, yet I am absolutely my own person and modern and edgy. I'm the June Cleaver with the lip piercing and the tattoo smack dab in the middle of her chest that you can pretty much see in any shirt or dress.
I LOVE breaking stereotypes down as well. It's onne of my favorite things to do in fact. When other Moms first meet me, I'm pretty sure they are not assuming I'm at home cooking from scratch and really really into setting a beautiful holiday table, and Def. NOT crocheting!!
But that is me. All the while the next day going to get some new ink.
Slightly OT, but I just wanted to share, my DH is getting me a tatoo for christmas. I already have one on my hip, and I've wanted another one forever. This is the picture I'm getting on my upper back. The artist is a friend of mine, and I love this image so much.

Now back to your regularly scheduled home making discussion...

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#306 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 01:43 AM

So I think we're going to try to do a gingerbread house this year, out of real gingerbread and everything. I may make a second one out of grahm crackers for my 3yo to decorate, I'm not sure I want his "help" on the big one Has anyone done these before? I'm excited, they look like so much fun!

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#307 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 AM

re: doilies. if you have them small enough (and white), they make cute "snowflakes" for the Christmas tree!
#308 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
So I think we're going to try to do a gingerbread house this year, out of real gingerbread and everything. I may make a second one out of grahm crackers for my 3yo to decorate, I'm not sure I want his "help" on the big one Has anyone done these before? I'm excited, they look like so much fun!

never from "scratch" - the kit i bought was hard enough! i did let my just-turned-four-year-old ds help me. this was day one of our advent calendar activities. he LOVED it. i mean LOVED it! it is a little goopy looking b/c we did it in our dining room where the wood stove is and it was about 80 degrees in there. i stuck it in the freezer to set when we were finished and now it's on our mantle (had to be in a cooler spot inaccessible to our scavenging dog!).
bag over head: i bought the 9.00 kit at walmart. i had to cut the icing bag a little bigger hole so ds could squeeze the icing out. that made the piping a little thick and goopy rather than thin and precise. but i love that he did it (he put on all the candies). and i'm gonna try to find some kind of spray shellac or something so that i can keep it.
good luck!
#309 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I wanted to mention since ya'll were talking about being non-traditional while at the same time being traditonal, blowing people's perceptions, and what not-I'll add that I too have many tattoos (well not that many, 3). I have one on my arm which is quite visible in the summer since it's so hot here. In many other ways, I'm not what most would look at and think "oh she's into crocheting, or baking bread, or sewing cloth diapers!". The other thing is, I'm not extravagant or even eclectic in my dressing. I kinda wear just normal clothes. Nothing that screams "I'm different". I'm also an artist so that throws the balance off too. People are always shocked when they get to know me, because I am such a mix of all things. I have had so many different types of jobs that I'm kinda Jill of all trades. I'm a sort of granoll-y artistic intellectual. My ancestry is quite mixed too, with a combo of Native American, Asian, Celtic and European. That and then I married an Italian guy with an Italian last name so that really throws people!

So for everyone's viewing pleasure, I will post pics of my now finished Home Management Binder. I pretty much like it as is, but am having a hard time with the Dry Erase markers staying put on the page after I close the book. Anyone have any tips in that department? I chose a bird theme, because I am loving birds right now Oh and I threw in a few Zen quotes to keep my motivated! Let's hope that works

I also threw in a photo of my latest crocheting adventure. A beanie hat for my niece. I am doing it in silky acrylic even though *I* prefer to work in wool or natural threads. I had leftover acrylic from a hat I made for a friend who is wool sensitive so I thought I use it up. I saw some pps talking about how mind-numbing crocheting is I actually find it so calming. My brain is frequently on overdrive so I like the stillness of the repetitiveness.

So here is the linkie:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tvena/s...7611210390189/

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#310 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Slightly OT, but I just wanted to share, my DH is getting me a tatoo for christmas. I already have one on my hip, and I've wanted another one forever. This is the picture I'm getting on my upper back. The artist is a friend of mine, and I love this image so much.

Oh wow, that is such a beautiful picture. That will make such a nice tattoo! I'm jealous.

#311 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM

Tumblingstar, that's why some of the pages in my HMB aren't in sheet protectors. Like, my menu planning sheet for the month, is just plain paper, so I can write on it easily, and not have to worry about closing the book.

But, leave it open for a few minutes, even blow on the ink tomake sure it's dry, and you shouldn't have too much of an issue

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#312 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Tumbling-Great job on the notebook. Thanks to y'all I have decided to do one too even though I'm still not sure I'm at a place where I need one! LOL I saw the cutest notebooks the other day. But it will have to wait until the new year I still have too much to do this month.
Please keep us updated on how it's working for you. Also, would you mind giving a breakdown of your sections..(even though I could pretty much see them in the pictures). I'm constantly taking notes.

Also, I have not done a hat yet, but need to for a friend. I really need to figure out how to crochet in a circle. I have not mastered that one yet. I'm very new to crocheting. I've only done it for a few months.

#313 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Tumblingstar, I LOVE your binder! I have one but it's not pretty. Once a year or so I revise it, so maybe I'll tinker with it soon.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#314 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson'smama View Post
we live in a 230 year old log house on 4 acres with a large garden and several fruit trees. we're working on the chicken coop.
You're living in my fantasy house! I live in an older suburb of a major city with a tiny, tiny lot. I like my community for a lot of reasons, but there's not really enough room to plant trees and have a huge garden, and chickens are not allowed. I really feel like I have two sides -- the part of me that likes being close to a city, and the part of me that could totally do the Laura Ingalls Wilder thing.

#315 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
I also want to learn how to do a Bohemian Braid. http://www.sandpoint.net/~rafter4/bohbrd.htm
They have Swedish and Bohemian techniques on that page, and I'm both (1/4 of each)...that's so cool. I really wish my grandparents had not died before I was born or when I was too young to remember them.

#316 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM

I'm thinking a rag rug would be awsome in my kitchen. I guess you just collect old t-shirts and stuff like that?

#317 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 02:58 PM

Oh yeah, old t-shirts is what I plan to try my hand at first and If that works out I'd like to make a sturdier one out of old wool blankets etc.

:
#318 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Jen, keep me posted on how it goes; I'm really interested.

I'm going to ask DH to get me that apron I posted the other day for Christmas. I WAS going to tell him not to get me anything, and not to expect anything in return, because we're having money woes, but I really, really want that apron. :

#319 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingstar View Post
What a gorgeous HMB! I love all the different tree motifs!!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#320 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 PM

LOL, you ladies should have been at my son's preschool when, among a group of moms discussing bagged lunches, I brought up the fact that I make all our bread for the kids' sandwiches.

They were like "people MAKE bread?????"
#321 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini View Post
LOL, you ladies should have been at my son's preschool when, among a group of moms discussing bagged lunches, I brought up the fact that I make all our bread for the kids' sandwiches.

Too funny! I've had that same response, people really are shocked.

So, I have an odd kinda question for you all. What do you wear, like just on a regular old day? I feel like I'm trying to keep this warm, inviting, clean house, and I run around in jeans and a ratty t-shirt.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#322 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
So, I have an odd kinda question for you all. What do you wear, like just on a regular old day? I feel like I'm trying to keep this warm, inviting, clean house, and I run around in jeans and a ratty t-shirt.
Mostly jeans and a fitted t, long sleeve shirt or sweater right now. When it's warmer often jeans and a nursing tank. I don't care if my boobs hang all out when were just at home. I'd like to wear more skirts, and I'm trying to. I think they're very pretty and make me feel very feminine. But I really only wear skirts a few times a month. Maybe I'll look for more next time I'm thrift shopping.

I guess I try to look clean, but I don't go out of my way to be overly stylish unless I'm dressing up for something specific.

#323 of 618 Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 PM

I'm totally loving this thread

I homeschool my three kids, and I really love practicing all of these traditional skills. I do most of the stuff listed in this thread. I cook from scratch, manage the house, crochet, knit, sew, garden, bake bread, can, etc. I posted pics of my home management binder a while back (almost 3 years ago.) Its funny to see what I was writing about then... Anyways, here's that old post - http://www.hippiemommy.com/2006/01/0...s-resolutions/

I also made an apron a few months ago. I bought some Amy Butler fat quarters and followed a pattern I found online. Let me find the post where I put a pic up - http://www.hippiemommy.com/2008/08/01/my-new-apron/

Thanks again for this thread! Its so encouraging to see so many like-minded mamas.

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#324 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 AM

In the winter I wear jeans mostly. Actually a lot of times I don't get out of pjs and robe till midday. My boys nap early so there's not much need to get fully ready until noon or 1. A lot of times we are out very early in the morning, but sometimes I'm in pjs till noon...
In the summer, I wear a lot of dresses. I feel feminine, pretty and stylish in them. I like that they are a one item deal and they look cute without having to put anything together. Once upon a time I was stylish, not so much anymore.

Hippie-I love Amy Butler fabric! That's what I plan on making some aprons out of too..one day!

#325 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 AM

I really like wearing dresses, but they're often more difficult to nurse in... I wear a lot of skirts or jeans with layered tops (tanks and then long or short sleeves). I am also addicted to the mama-made Amy Butler fabric headbands that you can buy on Etsy. I have wayyy too many of them, lol. They are perfect for holding my hair back when I cook and clean, and they look so cute. If I'm not wearing one of the headbands in my hair, then I usually have some kind of a dyed silk scarf in there.

I feel better when I really get dressed for the day. Its hard on cold days like today, though, because I just want to put on my fuzzy robe and hide under the covers, lol.

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#326 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini View Post

Speaking of homemade bread, who has a good recipe for a sandwich bread? I've tried to find one I like but they are all really crumbly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
Too funny! I've had that same response, people really are shocked.

I can usually be found in my pj's till the afternoon, but I've been trying to change that. Once I get dressed it is usually yoga pants and a tee or jeans and a tee. If I'm cold I throw on a hoodie and slipper boots!

Quote:
Mostly jeans and a fitted t, long sleeve shirt or sweater right now. When it's warmer often jeans and a nursing tank. I don't care if my boobs hang all out when were just at home. I'd like to wear more skirts, and I'm trying to. I think they're very pretty and make me feel very feminine. But I really only wear skirts a few times a month. Maybe I'll look for more next time I'm thrift shopping.

I guess I try to look clean, but I don't go out of my way to be overly stylish unless I'm dressing up for something specific.
I was reading a blog awhile back that talked about being more feminine in your day to day life by wearing more skirts and dresses and I'd really love to do that, problem is I only own one dress!! And none of my skirts fit me anymore!! Maybe I'll have to make some soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
In the winter I wear jeans mostly. Actually a lot of times I don't get out of pjs and robe till midday. My boys nap early so there's not much need to get fully ready until noon or 1. A lot of times we are out very early in the morning, but sometimes I'm in pjs till noon...
In the summer, I wear a lot of dresses. I feel feminine, pretty and stylish in them. I like that they are a one item deal and they look cute without having to put anything together. Once upon a time I was stylish, not so much anymore.

Hippie-I love Amy Butler fabric! That's what I plan on making some aprons out of too..one day!
I am the same way! PJ's till noon! I also want to wear more dresses...I need to make some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
I really like wearing dresses, but they're often more difficult to nurse in... I wear a lot of skirts or jeans with layered tops (tanks and then long or short sleeves). I am also addicted to the mama-made Amy Butler fabric headbands that you can buy on Etsy. I have wayyy too many of them, lol. They are perfect for holding my hair back when I cook and clean, and they look so cute. If I'm not wearing one of the headbands in my hair, then I usually have some kind of a dyed silk scarf in there.

I feel better when I really get dressed for the day. Its hard on cold days like today, though, because I just want to put on my fuzzy robe and hide under the covers, lol.
I love homemade headbands! I'm really don't like my hair in my face when I'm cleaning and running around with the kids! I feel the same way when I'm able to get up and ready in the morning. It often leads to a more productive day.

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#327 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_mommy View Post
I'm totally loving this thread

I homeschool my three kids, and I really love practicing all of these traditional skills. I do most of the stuff listed in this thread. I cook from scratch, manage the house, crochet, knit, sew, garden, bake bread, can, etc. I posted pics of my home management binder a while back (almost 3 years ago.) Its funny to see what I was writing about then... Anyways, here's that old post - http://www.hippiemommy.com/2006/01/0...s-resolutions/

I also made an apron a few months ago. I bought some Amy Butler fat quarters and followed a pattern I found online. Let me find the post where I put a pic up - http://www.hippiemommy.com/2008/08/01/my-new-apron/

Thanks again for this thread! Its so encouraging to see so many like-minded mamas.

Oh!!! I love your apron! Amy Butlers fabrics are some of my favorite!! I want to make a full length one! One of these days...

#328 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:

That is such a beautiful piece!! I've always wanted to get a tattoo, but haven't known what to get and I don't just want something random. I has to have meaning.

#329 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM

I'm not a hip, tattooed mama; although, I do love tats. Maybe someday. Like Jessica mentioned, I haven't found something that has enough meaning for me. But, I still doubt that when people look at me, they think "Ah, there's someone who just crocheted a hat, mittens and scarf for her daughter! And I bet she's got a loaf of bread in the oven!" :

DH and I own a business, and, so, I mostly dress accordingly. Today, I'm in yoga pants and a tee shirt, because I have a sore throat and no meetings. So I'm just going to hide in my office and work on the computer, where no one can see me, anyway So, I've got plenty of skirts, but not overly feminine ones, if that makes any sense. When I get home from work, the first thing I do, after kissing my babies, is pull on some yoga pants

On the weekends, I'm almost always in yoga pants, unless we're going somewhere and then I might put on jeans. I guess I dress up so much during the week, that I just don't want to be bothered when I'm home.

That being said.... I really love to wear frilly feminine skirts/dresses. I have a swiss dot dress with yards and yards of tulle underneath it that I want to lose weight for. But, I have to admit, I feel absolutely ridiculous cleaning my living room in a big poofy skirt

#330 of 618 Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

I wear a lot yoga pants too around the house. And if I go out in fall/winter it's usually in jeans and a cute top. In summer/spring, I like linen or cotton pants/capris and a tank ( I really love the ones with the built in bra ). I also have been loving the silk wrap skirts/dresses like Enwrapture or Kariza. I have 3 long ones and one short one and I love them. They are so pretty and feminine and easy. They dry really quick too after handwashing. Other than that, if it's super hot I'll be in a swimsuit

Living Simply and Enjoying Life

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page