Traditional Homemaking Skills - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I actually got a Kitchen aid mixer too. Only a white one that you have to lift the head. I have NO CLUE how dh pulled that off. : We have been so financially challenged, but he said he had to do it.

I am so excited to use it!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#422 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 02:16 PM

I would like to discuss a topic I have been thinking alot about.

In the situation of an emergency, I have been thinking alot about moral building and recreational activities.

I would like to create a list of things that are free/homemade/very inexpensive, etc that family and children can do together or alone.

Things like:

Bible reading
Read outlouds
chalk games
dice games
card games
games using common day things like kick the can or cat's cradle
Paper dolls (paper of lace ups with wood)
Paper toys (like folding games and such)
wooden toys
lace up cardboard or wood toys
felted wool food or wooden food
ride on wood toys
outdoor games with balls, hula hoops, etc
dolls
stuffed animals
doll clothes
doll furnature
doll houses/fairy houses
play silks
bean bags (to throw and play with or to sit in)

Also recipes for things like:
play dough
salt dough
make up
bath stuff
silly putty
things like that...

Some websites about these types of things:
90 Low cost or no cost things to entertain your children all summer long
http://www.destroydebt.com/articles/...mmer-long.html

Free computer games (if you still have internet during emergency)
http://thekidzpage.com/mainnew.htm

Games and activities
http://www.education.com/activity/?cid=61000.0000001

The Treehouse (GREAT list)
http://oldfashionedliving.com/treehouse.htm

Birthday Party ideas
http://oldfashionedliving.com/bgames.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...out.html?cat=2

http://kids-games.suite101.com/artic...oor_kids_games

http://parent-child-activities.suite..._fashioned_fun

http://grandparents.about.com/od/rev...dFashioned.htm

Indoor games
http://www.kids-fun-and-games.com/parlour-games.html

http://www.mainstreetmom.com/fun_old_games.htm

Couple dice games
http://www.kids-fun-and-games.com/rainy-day-games.html

Card games
http://www.kids-fun-and-games.com/child-card-games.html

Outdoor games
http://home.howstuffworks.com/easy-o....htm/printable

Any interest?

I honestly feel this is part of my job as a homemaker to bless my family by making the transition into an emergency as smooth and unchanged as possible.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#423 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM

I got a white one. And, I also have no idea how DH managed to afford it.

AngelBee, I am no good at thinking of things like that, but I look forward to everyone else building on your list, so I can make my own!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#424 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Bumped with more moral building ideas.....

Editted my previous post 421.

#425 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
I'm new to this thread, and just wanted to say Thank You for these links! They're just what I was looking for today.
#426 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 04:41 PM

That is so great on the mixers ladies. I have an old old one that is off white that my Grandma gave me. I would love a pretty new colored one. But the one I have works just fine, so I'll prob. be sticking with it for a long time to come.

My dh suprised me with this and I do believe it goes under here since we all talk about sewing and crafting and all that as part of the traditional skills:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post12863724

I'm very proud of my dh and of my new craft center!:

Angelbee-Just bragging today, but will be back to further the discussion you are looking for!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#427 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 05:17 PM

AngelBee, thanks for all the links!!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#428 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 06:45 PM

My gift was a homemaking item which I think I mentioned up thread; a Viking Huskylock s15.

:
#429 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 06:46 PM

That desk is awesome!

:
#430 of 618 Old 12-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
Anyone else get an awesome homemaker present?
I got a subscription to Mothering! My MIL got it for me because I'm finally pregnant with my first.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#431 of 618 Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 AM

My DH got me a 7qt. cast iron enameled pot and a new tea kettle.
#432 of 618 Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 AM

I found a homemaking book from 1917 online!

http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/cg...image;seq=0006

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#433 of 618 Old 12-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I found a homemaking book from 1917 online!

http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/cg...image;seq=0006
Wow, I've been perusing this book for the last couple of days and I love it. So that made me curious about the site where it's hosted, and I figured out that there are TONS of books online about home economics from 1820 to 1979! I'm in heaven, LOL!
#434 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 AM

From scratch recipes can be found on my blog! www.motherhoodnaturally.com/scratchcooking

And if anyone is interested, I put out a monthly newsletter devoted to making, doing and cooking from scratch. You can geta free intro issue at www.motherhoodnaturally.com/store in the subscriptions category!
#435 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 AM

On the topic of homemaking gifts...

My dh got me a new to me serger (refurbished brand I couldnt otherwise afford!), a walking foot and 1/4 foot for my sewing machine (for quilting) and some attachments for mykitchen aid - ice cream maker, sausage stuffer, food grinder and pasta attachments. Woo hoo!

I put my foot down with my cluttered house and am getting it back in line. It is looking marvelous compaired to what it did, and I'm getting rid of tons of stuff. This is feeling so. darn. good. I love being inmy house now! I posted some before and after pics of my kitchen in my closely spaced kids blog (in sig) its probably a post or two down, but its filed in organization if anyone is interested.

I'll be posting more progress and before and after pics as each space in my house gets a thorough cleaning/decluttering/organizing.

I decided after many unexpected guests, my house is not guest ready and that is NOT how I want to be. I love guests, and I love unexpected guests, and I hate feeling embarrassed. Yes, I have four young kids but come on... I cando better. I refuse to let my house get as bad as it was.
#436 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Good for you, StormySar! I agree, I want to feel that my home is open to guests at any time, and I don't have to be embarrased if someone stops by. At the same time, I want to feel confident that if our home happens to be a mess someday, I can still be a gracious hostess and our home will still feel peaceful and welcoming. I don't think that people expect perfection when they come over, I know I don't when I go somewhere else!

But I do feel better about things when my house is not all cluttered and messy. It makes me feel good to look around and feel that it would only take a few minutes to get things in order, not days and weeks I am usually somewhere between the two! These days (early pregnancy) it's harder to manage it, but I'm trying. As your kids get older, I find that it helps a lot too, they can help out a lot more.

I am looking forward to checking out your blog, it looks great! Remember, enjoy your baby newborn. Newbornness doesn't last long, you'll have your house to tidy for years

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#437 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Yes! I don't know what spurred it, but everyone in my house is in a "GET RID OF EVERYTHING" frenzy! : This past weekend, DD1 and I went through every single thing she owns, except her clothes and whatever's living in her closet, and we purged THREE boxes of toys, books, dolls, etc. Like, big moving boxes! Now, everything that's left is stuff she loves, and it all has a place to be put away. So far, we've been putting toys away at night before bed and it's been staying pretty tidy.

Next, I need to tackle the girls' clothes. : I think I'm going to stop holding on to old baby clothes in case of another baby, because DD2 is hardly lacking in the clothes department, without even considering her sister's hand me downs. I'll hold on to some of my favorites, but donate everything else.

After that, the plan is to tackle the kitchen. My kitchen really is in a bad way. But, DH is kitchen inspired, so I have help, and am confident we can get it set up well, in a functional way, where things can be put away and not left on counters because we don't know where to put them.

Really, the long term goal is a pretty major overhaul of every room in the house, with the exception of the living room, which is already pretty clutter-free, and then swapping our bedroom with the girls' room. We've got, I estimate, about six months to a year before DD2 is going to want to be in her own bed. (She's already scooching away from me at night, instead of snuggling in like she used to). So, we want to get the rooms swapped before then (Our bedroom is the big one )

Yay for organizational outbursts! :

#438 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Hi all! I'm Miriam, SAHM to three and totally in love with homemaking. I'm so glad I found this thread, but I'm only halfway through the first page of posts. It will take a while to get through the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
You guys will totally appreciate this...

DH got me a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas! One of the big, solid ones, where the bowl lifts, instead of the head tilting. WOOHOO!!

Anyone else get an awesome homemaker present?
I have one of those KAs. I love it and use it a couple times a week. I'd use it (and the attachments) more if it fit under one of my kitchen cabinets. Instead I have to keep it on top of the freezer and then I can't open the cabinet it sits in front of while plugged in. I can't wait to move!

I bought my own Hanukkah gifts this year. (Dh was so happy because he usually just clicks on the links I give him but is always worried he is making a mistake.) I got some yarn for a sweater for me, an ice cream maker (for my KA), a big rice cooker and this. i LOVE my mop!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#439 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Back to aprons for a sec....my sis sent me this email and I thought you ladies would appreciate it.

The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath,because she only had a few,it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for
removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ' old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.

Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs was on that apron.

I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron.
#440 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 02:55 PM

Shenjall, that's awesome Thanks for sharing

#441 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 03:07 PM

I love that apron post. thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid View Post

I bought my own Hanukkah gifts this year. (Dh was so happy because he usually just clicks on the links I give him but is always worried he is making a mistake.) I got some yarn for a sweater for me, an ice cream maker (for my KA), a big rice cooker and this. i LOVE my mop!
I have had my eye on that mop for a few years but wanted to hear that someone loved it. Right now we are on our hands and knees using viegar and water on our bamboo, but oh, wouldn't that be lovely!
#442 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to all the new THMers! Happy Holidays! I received a homemaking gift too, though not as cool as yours. My grandma gave me a pretty vintage sewing basket. I'll take a pic later if I remember. Happy New Year!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#443 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM

I want that mop too! I also get down on hands and knees to mop our bamboo floors but it's really hard for me to do right now and I know I won't feel like doing it post partum.

:
#444 of 618 Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM

LOVE the apron post!

I also got a stand mixer for Christmas. Not a KA but I love it all the same! Happy holidays to you all!
#445 of 618 Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
You know, I just add all the other "home" things, too - homeschooling, homebirthing, home-churching, etc.
Home-churching? I've never heard of that...

BTW, I've gotten really behind on this thread, but whoever posted their picture of their home management binder, I"M SO JEALOUS! Like seriously, I started one, kind of was laying papers into it since I didn't have the cash for a whole puncher and the library's was broken for some reason, had a toddler go through it, and now it's a mess. Really want to get it set up for the new year.
#446 of 618 Old 12-31-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
all your blogs are so great! i wish i could do one! lol. so do any of you not have a yard? i would really love to grow some of our food next spring but we are i an apt. would i be able to do that?

oo and any suggestions for houseplants that will stay alive in spite of me? lol
Okay, I know this is an old question, but have you considered checking out park district programs? I live in an apartment (boo hiss) that has no yard. But within walking distance they have community gardens. We use that. It sucks in that I can't plant something like asparagus or strawberries. But at least it's *something*.
#447 of 618 Old 12-31-2008, 10:56 AM

Sorry I haven't been keeping up. I'm having my usual holiday let down where I'm just exhausted. Completely spent. Only my BFF has been visiting so I haven't been able to decompress like normal. Instead I went right into hostessing and now my sons 3rd birthday is tomorrow. THEN I'll be able to chill...I hope.
Although I have to say I have much planned for the new year. This is the year I begin homeschooling my son. He's young but I'm homeschooling Montessori style. I have much to learn, much to make and just much to do...as usual I'm very excited about this venture.
Anyhow I'll be checking in occasionally. But in the meantime I hope everyone has a great start to the New Year!!

#448 of 618 Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM

HAPPY NEW YEARS MAMAS!:

#449 of 618 Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
HAPPY NEW YEARS MAMAS!:
nak

thank you! you too!
#450 of 618 Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 AM

Happy New Years mamas!!!

Sorry I haven't been around....the crazyness of the holidays is just starting to settle down, thankfully.

Dh and I do not give each other gifts on Christmas. What we usually do is with our tax return is besides put some into savings, pay for whatever things we have been putting off (like this year...we will buy everyone new bedding; 2 sets each including pillows....3 kids plus our bed and a guest bed, lol it gets kinda expensive), we split the difference and it is our mad money. I am sooo torn on what I want to get. Last year I spent about $500 updating kitchen things and I was planning on doing the same thing this year. Buuuuttt.....I realllllllly want a new DLSR camera, spefically the Nikon D60 with a new lens to go with it. If I got new kitchen stuff, I would more then likey get all new cups for the kitchen, new cast iron pans, hmmm....and a few things from my all time favorite store Williams-Sonoma :. What would you mamas do?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page