Forum Jump: 

#571 of 618 Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
Hey Ladies!

Well it's a full month after the holidays, and things are finaly starting to fall into a nice routine here. I think that and also blogging about my HMB has been helping me actually use it. I'm now thinking it's time for another major clutter purge though. I always have a box going for donation stuff, but I think it's time to ramp it up. Clear out the Christmas presents that were just off base, and any stuff that was replaced or duplicated over Christmas, as well as going through the kids and my clothes again. I can hardly walk through the basement, because "stuff" just keeps ending up there.

Slightly off topic, but since it was talked about earlier in the thread I'm going to share anyway...

I finally got my new tattoo yesterday! I love it. : It makes me really happy. Pictures here.
I love it, it looks so good!
I've been doing some de-cluttering lately too, as I also always have a box going. We donated a few boxes a couple of weeks ago and now are ready for another run.
Lately, I've just been trying to get my life orderly. I've been cooking tons lately. Tonight I'm doing Asian Stir Fry with rice noodles and chicken. I am on this kick to be really healthy because of my migraines. So I'm trying to eat more organic and cook from scratch.

I've been staying on top of laundry!!! I have to do one load a day or more depending on the week.

I still use my HMB but found that I"m not writing in it anymore. The dry erase marker thing wasn't working for me. Until I get a working printer, I am not able to really "use" my checklists for chores and projects. Instead I'm just doing it in my head, referencing the list the reminders. I'm still getting everything done, it's just not written down. Though, the rest of the HMB has been tremendously helpful to us. Having important #'s/addresses, stamps/envelopes, as wells as financial stuff all in one place is great. It's been keeping me way more organized.

Hmmm...what else? Well I've also redecorated recently, more of a tropical/garden green theme. Love it : I usually redecorate once or twice a year to keep things fresh around here. What I mean by redecorate, is, since I mostly have neutral everything (couch, linens, furniture), I just add splashes of color with some valances, shower curtain, shams (instead of a whole new set I have a beige quilt, cream sheets and then I add colorful shams on top to go with the current theme), throw pillows, and throws. Of course my greenery (houseplants) add to the tropical garden them around here

Speaking of, got a new one today, a kalanchoe I think. It's gorgeous.

Well, that's all I have for now, how is everyone doing? Settled down after the holidays?

Question: Do you all do spring cleaning? or spring decorating?

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#572 of 618 Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
*subbing*

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#573 of 618 Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback
The big laundry question:
How do you do your wash?
All laundry is washed on COLD in the Heavy Duty cycle, unless it's been peed, pooped, or thrown up on, in which case it's washed on HOT.

I separate out things likely to bleed and/or things likely to fuzz up the rest of the laundry. Other than that, it all goes in together.

We just started making our own laundry detergent. Prior to that we used BioKleen or Seventh Generation.

Everything gets dried on Medium heat, and folded as soon as it's dry. If I can't fold it right away, I hang shirts and pants or other things likely to wrinkle over the back of a chair, and just leave things like towels, socks, tee shirts, etc. in the laundry basket.
#574 of 618 Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Oooh another thing about laundry. I definitely do NOT have a "laundry day". I find it easier to do 1-2 loads a day.
#575 of 618 Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 PM

I do all the towels, dish rags and socks in one load. All the rest of the clothes I just throw in on cold. I usually hang everything up and fold it when the baby is napping.

Anyone know a good way to clean wooden cutting boards? I have a great one that I just got and I'm paranoid to use it for anything but kneading bread.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#576 of 618 Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
I do all the towels, dish rags and socks in one load. All the rest of the clothes I just throw in on cold. I usually hang everything up and fold it when the baby is napping.

Anyone know a good way to clean wooden cutting boards? I have a great one that I just got and I'm paranoid to use it for anything but kneading bread.
I've used my wooden board for years without nothing more than a hot soapy wash and dry out. Though I never cut raw meat on it. Occasionally, I would spray it with vinegar. Now I use a bamboo one and treat it the same. I just cut raw meat on a plate and then it goes into the dishwasher. When I cut onions or garlic on it, sometimes I don't even rinse it off. Just brush it off. My grandmother told me it kills the germs to do it that way. I don't have a problem with other stuff smelling like onions or garlic either. BTW, if you wet it with water before cutting onions or garlic it won't absorb the odor.

#577 of 618 Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM

I want to have a spring cleaning this year. My home could use it!
#578 of 618 Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingstar View Post
I've used my wooden board for years without nothing more than a hot soapy wash and dry out. Though I never cut raw meat on it. Occasionally, I would spray it with vinegar. Now I use a bamboo one and treat it the same. I just cut raw meat on a plate and then it goes into the dishwasher. When I cut onions or garlic on it, sometimes I don't even rinse it off. Just brush it off. My grandmother told me it kills the germs to do it that way. I don't have a problem with other stuff smelling like onions or garlic either. BTW, if you wet it with water before cutting onions or garlic it won't absorb the odor.
Ditto this. I use my wooden board for everything but meat. I have a glass one for meat, I hate using it but I'm paranoid.
#579 of 618 Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post

Don't worry. There's really no reason to be concerned, it's just easy to convince yourself that wood is going to harbor things. In reality wood has natural antibacterial properties as well as the porous nature helps to get bacteria of the surface and then it dies inside. There are several articles about it. This is something I just found but there are many other studies.

I just wash is with soap and water generally. If I just cut a bunch of garlic I will sometimes use salt and lemon to help get the smell out - I don't know if it really helps more than washing but it's fun I use wooden cutting boards for everything!! I LOVE good, sharp knives and good, solid, wooden cutting boards
#580 of 618 Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm in the middle of laundry day right now. YEA...

I separate loads, whites, pastels and darks. I also put dish towels/towels/ linens in a separate load. Everything gets washed and rinsed in cold water (besides the dish towels) and dried on medium with hot to finish (my dryer has that cool-down and it drives me batty, I don't know why).

As for cutting boards, I'd never use my produce board for meat and vice versa. Never.

What else... OH, I made the best cake ever. It was for my son's silent auction and was chosen first (the winning table paid hundreds). I was so proud but sad that I had to watch them eat it. The one we got was good, though. I'll be making it again Sunday when we have friends over. YUM!

And I have to give DH credit, he tilled the garden (and is prepping it for the Spring) PLUS he planted 160 new bulbs (tulips - my fav, daffodils and something blue)! I love fresh cut flowers when it's nice out!

OH, load is done...

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#581 of 618 Old 02-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Oooh another thing about laundry. I definitely do NOT have a "laundry day". I find it easier to do 1-2 loads a day.
Me too.

Though I have a Laundry day scheduled to do special treatments such as stain removal and lanolizing. Also to catch up on left over laundry if 1-2 loads wasn't enough during the week. Or to do special projects such as curtains, rugs, etc.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#582 of 618 Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 PM

I find it easy to run the machines every day for one load, but for hand laundry, or non-routine washing, it's easier to set aside a special day for special scrubbing.
#583 of 618 Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM

bump
#584 of 618 Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM

I am about to make my first batch of dryer sheets! Yipee!
#585 of 618 Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Joining you. I really need to take the time to get my other apron made it's sitting in pieces with my sewing machine.
#586 of 618 Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

I can't believe I hadn't found this thread earlier! I've felt so 'at home' with you ladies as I've read through it!

Here are some contributions I feel I can add

Someone (probably back in November!) asked about a good homemade sandwich bread. I use Soulemama's WHO Bread recipe in our breadmaker. I make sure to pop it out of the pan as soon as it is done, let it cool a bit on the rack and then cool it in the fridge for a couple hours. Once it is cool throughout it will slice up nice and thin for me. We love it for sandwiches.

And here are a couple cookbooks that I have been inspired by over the past year or so (since DH gifted them to me!)
More With Less

Simply in Season

The recipes are great and the commentary is even better! Enjoy!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#587 of 618 Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 PM

I think about homemaking skills a lot. I think also it takes a certain kind of skill to make a house a home...you know, make it comfortable and inviting and a haven.

as for laundry, I too find it easier to do a load nearly every day.
#588 of 618 Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I fear that we've been neglecting this thread lately. I've been in on the skills of a 100 years ago and admit that a lot of the THM mamas here on this thread do a lot of that already. I recently began making homemade pizza dough. I whipped up a homemade pizza yesterday (sauce was jarrred but frozen from last time) in less than 30 minutes from kneading to mouth My hubby loves it!!!!! It's almost faster than ordering pizza delivery and boy does it taste better as well as better for us.

#589 of 618 Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM

We've given up on delivery as well! I make spaghetti sauce and meatballs about once a month and freeze it. Several containers get sauce and meatballs and there's always sauce left over. So I label it "pizza sauce" and no one is the wiser

#590 of 618 Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I whipped up a homemade pizza yesterday (sauce was jarrred but frozen from last time) in less than 30 minutes from kneading to mouth My hubby loves it!!!!! It's almost faster than ordering pizza delivery and boy does it taste better as well as better for us.
Care to share that recipe? Mine is with yeast. The result is great, but of course there is some timing involved...
#591 of 618 Old 02-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I fear that we've been neglecting this thread lately. I've been in on the skills of a 100 years ago and admit that a lot of the THM mamas here on this thread do a lot of that already. I recently began making homemade pizza dough. I whipped up a homemade pizza yesterday (sauce was jarrred but frozen from last time) in less than 30 minutes from kneading to mouth My hubby loves it!!!!! It's almost faster than ordering pizza delivery and boy does it taste better as well as better for us.
I have started doing this once a week. It's sooo cheap and easy. I usually make the sauce and then use it to make meatball subs the next day. I use the crust recipe from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook. I've been really happy with it.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#592 of 618 Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine&men View Post
Care to share that recipe? Mine is with yeast. The result is great, but of course there is some timing involved...
I use yeast too but only let rise 5-10 min. Let me see if I can remember the recipe
Foccacia Pizza Crust, quick and easy

2.5 cups flour
1 packet yeast
2 tblsps olive oil
1 cup warm water
1 tblsp honey
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
rosemary optional (I do this and throw in a few pinches of dried rosemary)
1tblsp corn meal optional

Mix yeast in water, let sit till foamy.

Mix in large bowl, honey, oil, herbs, garlic and onion powder

After yeast water is foamy (by the time you get everything else mixed up), mix all ingredients together, place in bowl, cover with towel and let rise 5-10 minutes. (If the house is not warm enough, while I am mixing the ingredients I turn the oven on slightly (about 90 deg) and set bowl inside to rise w/door cocked open.

After risen, take out of oven, preheat oven to spread flat onto baking sheet sprinkled w/cornmeal or greased w/olive oil (either is good, but greased makes a more moist foccacia like crust)

Bake for 9-11 min (11 min in my electric oven). Take out, sprinkle on tomato sauce and cheese and toppings. Bake for another 7-10 min until cheese is melted and almost browning on edges. Voila!

#593 of 618 Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM

This thread is still alive?! :

Off to read up on what I have missed...

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#594 of 618 Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM

What kind of crusts are you getting on you bread? DH really likes the soft almost non-existent crust of store bread, and I've been doing all kinds of things to try to get that. The bread itself is coming out fine, but the crust is too tough. I've tried steam, butter, and a dry oven. I don't know what else to do.
#595 of 618 Old 02-27-2009, 09:33 PM

My sil makes that kind of wonderful no-crust bread. I love it! She says she uses xtra butter and milk instead of water. It never works for me, so I keep going to her for my homemade bread fix.
#596 of 618 Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 PM

Could be:
Too much salt
Too high of heat
Using water instead of milk
or
Too long of rising time

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#597 of 618 Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 AM

I sewed!!! For the first time EVER. I made a T-shirt quilt for DS out of some of my favorite shirts he wore during his first year of life. You can definitely tell it's my first attempt at sewing, it's pretty rough... but I'm so proud of it!

That was my homemaker moment for the day :

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#598 of 618 Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
What kind of crusts are you getting on you bread? DH really likes the soft almost non-existent crust of store bread, and I've been doing all kinds of things to try to get that. The bread itself is coming out fine, but the crust is too tough. I've tried steam, butter, and a dry oven. I don't know what else to do.
*I use a bread machine* Just FYI.

I used to get really tough crusts...until I started using filtered water instead of just tap water. Once I switched the bread started rising much better and the crust thinned right out.

#599 of 618 Old 03-07-2009, 02:09 AM

Bump

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#600 of 618 Old 03-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Sadly neglected by myself. Thanks for the bump! Didn't even get to make my own batch of dryer sheets yet, despite triumphant announcement to do so some time ago... What can I say, kids!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page