Traditional Homemaking Skills - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 618 Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I went to borders to get "Artisan Bread in 5 Mins a Day". So far I have not made any of the dough, but I am very intrigued by the idea of having dough just hanging out in the fridge waiting to become bread. And it seems much simpler than keeping my starter alive.
#602 of 618 Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 PM

do you have a routine for Spring cleaning? if I had lots of linens and things this would be the time to get them out. I do have a really pretty shower curtain that I want to put up today.
#603 of 618 Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I am in the middle of my spring cleaning right now. basically I take out everything of a room except the big furniture and clean top to bottom . I take off the bed linens, wash them, open the windows for a day or so. Put up fresh springish linens on the beds and then, vaccuum and put the room back together. That includes emptying the closet too. Declutter and get rid of everything I no longer want.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#604 of 618 Old 03-22-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimara View Post
I am in the middle of my spring cleaning right now. basically I take out everything of a room except the big furniture and clean top to bottom . I take off the bed linens, wash them, open the windows for a day or so. Put up fresh springish linens on the beds and then, vaccuum and put the room back together. That includes emptying the closet too. Declutter and get rid of everything I no longer want.
Wow, I've never really done spring cleaning, but I think it would be so great to start things fresh once we can have the windows open again. And soon before it gets a bit more uncomfortable to do the lifting and cleaning. We live in a rural area where spring cleaning is totally normal and expected. My friend even does a spring and fall cleaning, right down to taking everything out of all the closets and cleaning every nook and cranny.

The trouble is that I get overwhelmed by the huge tasks (we have a big old stone farm house) and then I hardly know where to start or what to do. I'm thinking that I should get a checklist from realsimple.com or somewhere like that, and just plug away at it steadily. It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen all at one time, just a gradual spring clean-up would be okay, right?

Another idea I have had, but haven't worked on yet, is to see if a friend would like to do it with me, and we could swap working at each others' places. That way we'd be working together, which is more fun for me and for the kids. And it wouldn't seem so overwhelming to do it all myself. I'll see if that actually happens.

Today I had a busy day in the kitchen, cooking for a church potluck supper. It all turned out great, and all the food I brought was gone. I wouldn't have minded having some leftovers, but it was good to see that people wanted to eat what I made! The kitchen was a big mess when I left, but I quick did all the dishes and tidied up as soon as we got home while my husband did bedtime with the kids. So I'll start the week off with a clean kitchen.

Oops - Sorry for rambling!

Carlyn - loving and caring for my family.
Married 13 years, mama to 12 (boy), 8, 6, 4, 1 (girls)
#605 of 618 Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM

Laurel Plum has a great list for Spring Cleaning:

http://laurelplumonline.com/organizi...r-preparation/

She also has lists for fall and winter I believe...
#606 of 618 Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 PM

I need to get spring cleaning going, but with a brood of chickens living their 'dust' all over the place, it's going to have to wait till dh gets done with the new chicken coop. It doesn't help that we're having 40mph winds on his only afternoon off this week. Not getting the coop built in this wind.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#607 of 618 Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM

bringing this thread out of retirement.... been thinking about this a lot, and thinking about how pretty soon, we might need a lot of these skills.

I for one would like to learn candlemaking just 'cause

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#608 of 618 Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM

I'll join.

I just got all of my supplies for canning this weekend. Our cherry trees are ripening and I'm going to can a ton of it to keep us in jam. Tonight I made a sour cherry pie and it was amazing!!!!!!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#609 of 618 Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm thinking of canning cherries too. My first ever foray into canning! I'm glad this thread is back too. I've decided through a long process to live up to my title of Homemaker!
#610 of 618 Old 07-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Yay, I love this thread! I don't always have things to contribute, but I've learned a lot.

I've made soap and candles, and I want to start it up again. Just need supplies...I got rid of them in a frantic "Leaving my abusive husband and I can only take essentials" packing and moving out a year and a half ago. I lost so much great stuff that just wasn't essential and I only had a car to move everything in.

So, soap, candles, and I want to do canning really bad. And get a food dehydrator so we can make dried fruit and we can start trying raw food recipes!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#611 of 618 Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm so glad this thread got bumped up! I'm a terrible housekeeper who is trying to improve her skills and turn staying home into homemaking. Of course, I just spent two days' worth of "free" time reading this thread and bookmarking links from it instead of, you know, cleaning the house and getting organized! lol

I am really looking forward to learning some new skills (like maybe even sewing) and just getting my stuff together. Thanks for starting this thread!
#612 of 618 Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM

I think this is a great thread I've always loved the idea of being a homemaker. I've found for me the 2 biggest challenges have been 1- keeping organized move after move. We are military and move fairly often. In the 3 years DH and I have been married we have moved 4 times and it shows...lol there are boxes that don't ever really get unpacked and I am drawning in baby/toddler clothes. The second challenge I've had since baby number 2 was born in feb is time. We've spent so much time at doctors due to a number of health issues that its really cut into my time at home.

I look forward to reading the old post over the next few days. I am currently working on Christmas.
#613 of 618 Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM

Wanted to add what sort of homemaker stuff I do and a little bit about me

I am Tiffany, mommy to 2 little boys (P-2yrs, T- 5 months) and proud wife to my airman M. I am a young mommy and that sometimes makes it hard to find friends my age, who are doing similar things as I am.

I cook and bake mostly from scratch. The newest thing I'd like to learn how to do in that realm is make bread. (It scares me, which is why I haven't tackled it yet!) I am a pretty self taught cook and very appreciative of DH, who is normally willing to try whatever I try my hand at. I grew up eating boxed foods like hamburger helper.

I sew- I am a beginner but getting better with each new project I do. DH bought me a sewing machine a couple Christmas ago and I love it I made almost all homemade gifts for people last year using it

I paint and make homemade gifts using a variety of different craft techiniques.

I am really big on organization and currently I am working on trying to get re-organized after our last move. We moved this past october when I was 5.5 months pregnant. It was a difficult move and getting settled has been hard to say the least because of a difficult pregnancy, health problems after the baby was born and ppd. However, things are finally getting back on track

I've dabbled in soap making and would like to get back into that. I make all my own cleaners, minus dish soap and laundry soap. Until, we moved here I dried everything outside almost all year. However, our current location is so humid I find it almost impossible to dry anything outside most days.
#614 of 618 Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Anyone make soap? My mom and I just went to a workshop last weekend about soap making and are really interested in learning more. Where do you get your supplies? any beginner's tips and tricks you can share?

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#615 of 618 Old 07-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
I'm so glad this thread got bumped up! I'm a terrible housekeeper who is trying to improve her skills and turn staying home into homemaking. Of course, I just spent two days' worth of "free" time reading this thread and bookmarking links from it instead of, you know, cleaning the house and getting organized! lol
lol-- that is totally me!!!

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#616 of 618 Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM

I love this thread! Just wish I had a bigger garden and could can/preserve something!
#617 of 618 Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Highlandmum - glad I'm not alone!
Hteb83 - Me too! I'm currently shirking my cleaning and laundry so I can plan my garden b/c I really want to start growing some of our food. I've been reading up on canning and am so excited!
#618 of 618 Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM

I am so proud of myself! Yesterday, I made my first thing of homemade bread! I made 4 small loaves of french bread (It was suppose to be 2 large loaves but I didn't have a pan large enough.)

I also tackled my mending pile of DS1 pjs. I swear the boy somehow managed to put a hole in the foot of each pair of pjs. But, I got them all mended and they look good as new

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page