Traditional Homemaking Skills - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 618 Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
So I was wondering if any of you have given thought to why it is you tend towards traditional homemaking skills?
I am definitely called to be a homemaker. But I am also called to be a bread winner. So, I don't think that being a lover of home arts means you need to SAH, just like if you SAH you don't have to love the home arts.

I feel most like myself when I am cooking or knitting. It is how I share my love with my friends and family. I'm also a lover of history, especially historical food and gadgets so that drives me to learn more traditional methods.
#122 of 618 Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
So I was wondering if any of you have given thought to why it is you tend towards traditional homemaking skills?

For me I feel it is innate. It just feels right to keep the home as my center and to focus on all things within it, including (and especially) my family. Part of what I feel is that things in this millineum have gotten so far from the home and it's disturbing to me. I think it is a big part of a lot of problems in society. I don't wish to debate this I'm just stating my personal reasons for why I feel home centered. I hope that by being home and being efficient and handy and always available to my children that I will raise them right. And btw, I have two boys. So my hopes are to raise them to be kind, loving, helpful, responsible men. I think all those things go along with traditional homemaking.

What are your reasons?
this is me exactly. i have never felt more centered and grounded then i do now. i don't think homemaking is valued like it used to be and thats really a shame. with the exception of one person my closest friends have all said they have no interest in being a stay at home parent... let along a homemaker in a more traditional sense. literally direct quote 'i would get bored.. i need to use my brain more' : i do use my brain thankyouverymuch!!

that, to me, stands out as one of the biggest changes in out society. for some reason i have always wanted to be a stay at home mom.. probably because my mom was... but she was anything but traditional lol.. that part is mind boggling.. it is just a part of who i am i think. i love to cook, have a pretty house, decorate, organize. i used to hate to clean but i just stopped thinking about it as cleaning and started thinking about it as one of the tasks involved in making a home (which it is.. go figure) and it has given me a lot more joy since then. I just really love taking care of my family and out home. I gives me joy, purpose, and fulfillment like nothing else has yk?

i have noticed the little things matter. like the aprons.. if most of the people i know saw this conversation about pretty aprons and frilly kitchen gloves the would confiscate my feminist card. But those things make me feel pretty and are just one of the little joys of my day lol. i always get excited about pretty dish towels... and i like it when i can repurpose something we already have. i don't know why it does.. lol it just does.

I like to do things slower too. i am not much for boxed or TV dinners.. i don't get as much satisfaction from stoeffers lasagna as i do from the lasagna i make myself you know? For me this carries over to produce to.. i prefer fresh produce to canned if possible.. i just enjoy cooking more when i use fresh ingredients.

maybe I'm nuts.. this is entirely possible and not terribly unlikely lol.
#123 of 618 Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:

For me I feel it is innate. It just feels right to keep the home as my center and to focus on all things within it, including (and especially) my family. Part of what I feel is that things in this millineum have gotten so far from the home and it's disturbing to me. I think it is a big part of a lot of problems in society. I don't wish to debate this I'm just stating my personal reasons for why I feel home centered. I hope that by being home and being efficient and handy and always available to my children that I will raise them right. And btw, I have two boys. So my hopes are to raise them to be kind, loving, helpful, responsible men. I think all those things go along with traditional homemaking.

What are your reasons?
Basically all you said here! Took the words right out of my mouth.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#124 of 618 Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
I am definitely called to be a homemaker. But I am also called to be a bread winner. So, I don't think that being a lover of home arts means you need to SAH, just like if you SAH you don't have to love the home arts.

I feel most like myself when I am cooking or knitting. It is how I share my love with my friends and family. I'm also a lover of history, especially historical food and gadgets so that drives me to learn more traditional methods.
i think this is very true. I couldn't do it (i have terrible time management) lol. but I know people who do and they love it. does your job incorporate the history and such or is it completely different then the things you enjoy outside of work?
#125 of 618 Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

For me, I felt drawn to it, even though before I had children I considered myself a working woman feminist kinda a person. Not that feminists don't stay home with their kids and clean toilets but I was young and naive and didn't know any better.

When I became pregnant, I knew instinctively I would stay home with her and provide her with a loving, wholesome home life. I did not have a stable home life a as a child and wanted above all to give her stability. Now I'm not saying those working moms who also tend towards traditional homemaking skills are not doing that as well, this is just for me personally. For me (I am a highly sensitive person, with some sensory issues, and came from an abusive, destructive childhood) I need to be home and not work in order to provide this order for my family. If I worked, I would not be able to bake bread, sew often, crochet, etc. I would be overwhelmed with work and not able to bring myself to do that. I'm amazed at the moms who are!

Plus, like a pp said, I, too, feel that society has got away from a home-centered life and I think it is a mistake and the cause of a lot of our troubles. Another reason I started cooking from scratch, baking, etc. because of the nasty ingredients in commercially prepared foods. Plus the cost I get migraines and have to monitor my intake of certain ingredients so cooking from scratch is easier for me.

I love gardening, always have, always will, it's just something in my bones. I actually feel like I "belong" in my garden. Which is part of my problem at this new house because I can't garden here, the ground is pure clay and back breaking work. I stick to containers here. I have felt that I don't belong at this house and gardening is part of why.

And as I said in the opening post, I feel that today's society, with our economy and all, I feel it is important to resurrect these lost skills for the sake our our families, communities, and society at large. We will soon have to depend on our local community cottage businesses to provide us goods, if the big box stores fail due to the crumbling economy.

BTW, my new skill I've added since starting this thread is crocheting!! I"ve made hats, neckwarmers, toys! :

Ok, so now that I've written a novel, I'll go and read the rest of the posts!

Quote:

What are your reasons?

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#126 of 618 Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Well I'm glad this take a turn for the worse due to my question! I worried about that later but couldn't come back and clarify. I am just curious to why other women like THS all across the board, sahm or wahm or wohm. I hope we can all be non judgemental here and appreciate each others differences and reasons. (no debating necessary) I was simply just curious ,as I have thought about it for myself often.

So thanks ladies for keeping it real so far and I would still like to know more womens reasons for their choices to be more "old school"

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#127 of 618 Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wanted to pop in on this thread and recommend checking out Mother Earth News magazine. I got an issue at the Green Festival and they have plenty of good homemaking, homesteading articles. They have articles about gardening, heating with a wood stove, alternative energy for houses, building your own tables and more, in just one issue.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#128 of 618 Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Banned

Thanks phathui5 -- my MIL was subscribing to Mother Earth News back when dh was a kid I love the website!

Takebirthback -- to answer your question, I tend toward homemaking I suppose in part due to my own childhood -- my mom is *not* the homemaking "type" -- in addition to that, she was a stressed out, single mom who was not around nearly as much as I would have liked at all -- when she was, there was no time or energy for home-cooked meals or all of the stuff I can do as a mama. Also, even if there *were* time, she wasn't interested. My grandmother on the other hand, was a total homemaker in many ways and I have such fond memories of being at her house growing up. That is only part of it though --

It has been a real evolution from hardcore feminist who believed homemaking was a patriarchal prison (not saying all feminists believe this, but I sure did when I was younger) -- to absolutely LOVING and embracing all things home, homemaking, mom-like etc. It is one that can't be put into words so much, but I have never felt stronger, or more "myself" than I do being a homemaker. Now, that doesn't completely define who I am in every way (people are far too complex for that!) but I do love it and it is a title I wear proudly.

I feel sad sometimes when women say they are "just" a mom, or "just" a homemaker, or "just" anything -- with a little embarrassment like it isn't enough or something. I call myself a domestic goddess (a tad tongue in cheek but mostly serious)

Dh laughs at me because I watch things like the Food network and HGTV like some people watch movies. I like it
#129 of 618 Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 PM

I love Paula Deen crunchy!!!!!!!!!

I'd answer the "why do you tend towards homemaking" question if I wasant always nak.
#130 of 618 Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 PM

bumping this back up because I'm loving this thread! I always invisioned myself as a career girl, but after DS1 was born, I knew I had to be home with him. Now that DS2 is here, it financialy makes more sense to have me stay home. I've always loved to cook and sew, and those thing are really fun to put to use in the keeping of my home. However, I've been severly lacking in the cleaning and organizing department. I want my home to be tidy and decluttered, and cozy and nice, but all too often it's disheveled and crazy making. Oh, and I like aprons too : I just made one out of a vintage sheet, and it's very pretty, but not as nice as the ones I've now been eyeing on etsy. I may have to see if there is enough sheet left to give it another go.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#131 of 618 Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM

So, happy homemakers... I'm looking to start sewing clothes for me and my girls. Anyone have any great free patterns you'd like to share? (Amazingly awesome pay for patterns are welcome, too )

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#132 of 618 Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 PM

I'm wondering what kind of domestic/traditional homemaking books are out there. I have seen a few but I'd love some reviews!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#133 of 618 Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
So, happy homemakers... I'm looking to start sewing clothes for me and my girls. Anyone have any great free patterns you'd like to share? (Amazingly awesome pay for patterns are welcome, too )
Here is one of my favorite sewing blogs. She has some great tutorials, as well as lots of information on pattern drafting. I've used her ideas to sew some nursing tops, and to convert a few thrift store dresses to nursing dresses, and they came out great!

http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#134 of 618 Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I'm wondering what kind of domestic/traditional homemaking books are out there. I have seen a few but I'd love some reviews!
I had the Readers Digest "Back to Basics" out of the library for a while. It had tons of great information, from baking bread to choosing the land for your homestead and planning your orchard. I'd love to see some more recomendations also.

#135 of 618 Old 11-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks, Amanda!

So, we were talking the other day about Thanksgiving, and my menu is finally finalized. It looks like we're doing two turkeys; I'll be brining and roasting one and DH will be frying the other. We'll also be responsible for the stuffing. I'm making sweet dinner rolls and pumpkin spice rolls (So excited I got a breadmachine for my birthday this year ), as well as pumpkin pie and possibly a pumpkin cheesecake. Everything else is coming from my family (SIL, MIL and mom), which alternately sends me into panic mode and makes me feel calm and relaxed :

Anyway, I'm having ten people (including dd1 who will be the only kid, so no kids' table option), in a dining room that can comfortably fit six. Creative seating ideas are welcome.

DD and I are going to go collect some pretty leaves, if it dries up outside tomorrow, and use them to make placecards

I have a pumpkin that I'm going to turn into a luminary for the centerpiece.

I'm thinking of using my grandmother's china... except that means I can't use the dishwasher to clean the plates afterward Also, I'm kind of petrified of using my grandmother's china till my kids are older.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#136 of 618 Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 AM

We were sooooo sick this weekend and I am still feeling so weak so I am not doing the grand Thanksgiving I thought I was. I went ahead and bought pre-made dinner rolls, pie crust, and we're even using paper plates. *sigh* You know both of our parents are such... oh man I don't know how to say white trash nicely... that they wouldn't even care any which way but it mattered to me.
/whining

But now I am focusing on getting th house all in order for Turkey Day AND my aunt coming from Washington. She is a clean freak so my house really has to be spotless. *faints* Hey, at least my blog looks good now!

#137 of 618 Old 11-25-2008, 12:38 PM

awww maggie

We dont have enough room at our table for everyone so we will probably have a really casual buffet style turkey day. We are having like maybe 5 courses.

I am having a heck of a time deciding on a desert because everyone likes something different. Any thoughts?
#138 of 618 Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

Hope you are feeling better Mags -- As I said in the post above, we are having paper plates with cloth napkins so if that isn't "white trash" I dunno what is We don't have enough plates Damn simplifying! I knew decluttering would come back to bite me.

Transformed, apple pie is very easy to make, as well as pumpkin pie -- I made both today... made crust from scratch too. Not to brag, I am so not above store bought, but they all have lard in them and we are veggie so I kind of had no choice... but if you aren't veggie, get the store bought and whip up a couple of simple pies. Most people like those I believe and they are very "thanksgiving-y".
#139 of 618 Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
awww maggie

We dont have enough room at our table for everyone so we will probably have a really casual buffet style turkey day. We are having like maybe 5 courses.

I am having a heck of a time deciding on a desert because everyone likes something different. Any thoughts?
Are there 2 or 3 desserts that overlap at all? Like do some like apple pie, but it's not their favorite?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#140 of 618 Old 11-26-2008, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Paper plates are nothing to beat yourself up about as long as everyone is using them

My grandparents had our family over for thanksgiving as well as some of the other kids. They served everyone else on paper but they (grandma and grandpa) ate on their nice china
#141 of 618 Old 11-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Maggie-Sorry you have been sick. That would have made me crazy what with everything I have had to get done. I hope you get up in running in the next couple of days.

I have done really well at being organized for this whole hosting Thanksgiving deal. I have had a list in my day planner of everything I need to get done each day to make it work. I did this in part so there wouldn't be any stress...so far so good on that And the other reason is because this is the first time I have hosted a big holiday while having two small children (3 and 1). So I knew I needed to have things well figured out and not be waking up at 3 in the AM trying to get things done while having two crazy lil ones running around. Things have gone very well except for lack of sleep b/c the 1 year old is having some sort of sleep disturbance issues right now!

Anyways I have my turkey brining...recipe said do it for two days. I went ahead and made the giblet stock to make the gravy out of on Thursday. I'm making the sweet potatoe casserole today. I will be going to pick up flowers and having everything decorated tonight. The house is essentially clean except for running the vaccum and wiping down the bathrooms. Oh and I have to make the carmalized apple spice cake today. Theres no way I can make that tomorrow along with the turkey and stuffing and gravy.

I knew I was really being a little Susy homemaker when I ironed my linens. I never iron. Never ever ever ever!! But I figured I would go all out because we don't host very often and these ppl don't come over very often. So I really do want everything to be perfect and very pretty. It's important to me and makes me feel like a good hostess. Theres that homemaker in me again!!

In case I can't post again:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YOU HAPPY HOMEMAKING MOMMAS!!!

#142 of 618 Old 11-26-2008, 12:31 PM

Wow! Some of you ladies are really busy with hosting. We're in a tiny 2br apt, so we're not hosting this year. We're going to my Aunts for dinner at noon and my other grandma's for supper. I can't wait until we have a big enough place to host Thanksgiving some day. I am roasting a turkey though. Two different grocery chains had turkeys on sale this week for .29/lb so I got one from each. I'll roast one on Friday and make stock just to have for sandwiches and soup and stuff. The other one is in the freezer and I'll pull it out in a few months. I'm kind of glad I'm not hosting thanksgiving this year though. I've got a bunch of sewing I need to get done before Christmas, and Thanksgiving prep would probably put me over the edge

#143 of 618 Old 11-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

Well, I have been quite the busy homemaker this morning! I cleaned up, now all I have to do is a quick vacuum tomorrow (can't trust doing it today with a preschooler). I made both my dressings -- gluten free and... not... , and they are in the fridge drinking up all the flavors of the homemade veggie stock and spices. I washed my linens (the classier cloth I use for company ) -- I cleaned dd's room (only to be destoyed tomorrow by her and her little guest) -- hmm... Oh, I made the spiced nuts (haha, I said nuts) for the appz and also cut the celery --- I think I will serve apple slices and homemade caramel to keep the theme going --- I put diced apples in the dressing, I am making spiced apple cider, I made apple pie...you get the drift I pity the fool who doesn't like apples tomorrow at my house!
#144 of 618 Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Things I need to do today...
* CLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAANNNNNNN!!!! Oh my gosh my house is so dirty!
* Boil eggs
* Cut veggies for platter
* Did I mention clean?
* Make action plan for tomorrow
* Mix salad
* Cut cauliflower and broccoli for steaming tomorrow
* CLEAN!
* Set up dinning and living room for buffet style Thanksgiving
* Find my apple pie recipe

And I think that is it. The cleaning is going to take all day and well into the night. Woo hoo for being sick!

#145 of 618 Old 11-27-2008, 09:30 AM

Well I got everything done. Today is just about making the stuffing, turkey and gravy. I even got the table decorated and it looks beautiful! :
I am however to lazy to upload it to photobucket and bring it here. Maybe another day.

I hope all you mamas were/are able to get everything done and not just that but to enjoy the fruits of your homemaking labors this Thanksgiving!:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING :

#146 of 618 Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Great job, takebirthback! And everyone who's hosting turkey day! I'm in awe. Magstphil, I understand about the house going to pot when you're sick. I hope everything pulls together quickly for you. In this instance I advocate for doing the obvious, and leaving the nitty gritty for another day. Just vacuum the middle of the carpet, and sweep the dust under the rug. You can give it a more thorough scrub down when there isn't a time crunch

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!

#147 of 618 Old 11-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

*I made my first thanksgiving dinner this year!!!
#148 of 618 Old 11-27-2008, 06:18 PM

Captain Crunchy:

Could you please, please share your spicey nuts receipe? Pretty please?

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#149 of 618 Old 11-28-2008, 06:39 PM

#150 of 618 Old 11-28-2008, 07:35 PM

I love your table cloth - did you make it? And using the pumpkins as vases is too cute.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page