Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post
Apparently I'm message board challenged. Here it is:

www.homesteadinmyheart.wordpress.com
Love it!!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#242 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 AM

Here is my blog I have been meaning to start for months! I can't wait to get started and get some stuff up there!!

Our Nurtured Nest

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#243 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 02:46 AM

subbing!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#244 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 02:48 AM

great post, Amanda! though you could also mention your name
#245 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, just had a long post written and closed the window by accident! Aaaargh!

Well, Warrior and CrunchyDoula thanks for the links! Awesome blogs! I am inspired to try my hand at creating one again. I made one before but really didn't get much feedback on it from my family/friends. Except from my sister, who pretended like I was being hoity-toity about cleaning supplies! Since I am kinda like the black sheep in my circle I took it down. But maybe I'll make another just for 'puter friends!

Finished designing my HMB on the computer, just need to print it out. I found another site about them: http://www.littleturtleknits.com/blo...ent-binder.htm

I really think it's gonna make this household run more smoother if I can keep everything together!

PS, CrunchyDoula love the birds theme! I chose a birds theme for my HMB! I just love those little chirpers...

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#246 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Ladies, I'd love to follow your blogs but you need to put a button on there so I can do that. A "follow this blog" button.
I have a blog too:
http://wwwmytruths.blogspot.com/
Its very random with no huge purpose. And it's terribly boring with only one picture. I'm trying to figure out how to give it a focus. Either crafting (which I have not really blogged about at all, so it will be completely different) or about the things we are talking about on here. I've also considered taking it down b/c I'm just not sure it's very interesting. *sigh*
Anyways, it's there for now. My random musings about my life. I do want to make it more interesting. Maybe with the new year.

Anyways, I also wanted to say that you ladies are really speaking to my heart when you talk about making the home the center and all of those things. I really feel like I have found my tribe now. It is just so important to me and I feel alone in it sometimes. And it is obvious to me that people like a lot of my family do not understand me. It certainly does not discourage me, but their comments and such are frustrating at times.
Thanks for being here ladies! I look forward to this thread going and going.

Anyone ready to start talking holiday stuff yet??

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#247 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Well, wordpress was making my head hurt, so I swiched it over to blogger

www.homesteadinmyheart.blogspot.com

I like this much better. I'm still trying to figure out all of the gadgets, so I'll look for that "follow this blog" button.

Yay for holiday stuff. We put up our tree last sunday. We always get a live tree. Fake trees seem to defeat the purpose for me. That and I love the pine smell that fills the house with a live tree. I think I've just about got my Christmas sewing done. All the gifts I'm making, and orders I'm filling for others. I'll start candy making next week, because that's going to fill out my gift list for people I had no idea what to sew for. We won't be hosting a Christmas dinner here though. We have too much family in the area, so we'll probably do Christmas eve with one set of grandparents and Christmas day with the other (Christmas morning is all to our selves though)

Can I just say that this thread has been truley inspiring for me. Just being a part of this has helped keep me focused and in line with my goals as a wife, mother, and home maker. Thank you ladies, for sharing your wonderful selves

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#248 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 12:13 PM

all your blogs are so great! i wish i could do one! lol. so do any of you not have a yard? i would really love to grow some of our food next spring but we are i an apt. would i be able to do that?

oo and any suggestions for houseplants that will stay alive in spite of me? lol
#249 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
all your blogs are so great! i wish i could do one! lol. so do any of you not have a yard? i would really love to grow some of our food next spring but we are i an apt. would i be able to do that?

We are in a townhouse, so our yard is a community yard and maintained by the condo complex. Last year I had two tomato plants by my front door in pots (I just stuck the pots right into the landscaping ) but I never watered them, and guess what, they died . Next spring I may either just build a raised bed in the yard and if they have a problem with it they can let me know, or I may try to do an extensive container garden on my miniscule back porch. As for houseplants that you can't kill, I have this same problem. Right now I have two pathos plants (keep them high because they're poisenus if eaten) one zizi plant and an aloe plant. All of these go months between waterings. Although if you water more often they grow better. My pathos plants will start looking very sad and wilty if I forget to water them, but then I give them a good drink and they perk right back up. I think philodendren are similar, and also hard to kill.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#250 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cativari View Post
I'm new to this thread but I think I might belong here...if I get get more orgainized and motivated. Those 2 areas have always been issues for me. I start out great with a new routine or anything and it always falls short and doesn't last long. I try but it doesn't usually stick very long, but it's always been like that.
Same here, but each time I try again, a little more sticks. I'm realizing in my adult life that anything worth doing is worth practicing, and trying again when you don't get it right the first time! I feel like I'm starting to identify as a homemaker because I think it's *worth* doing well, gaining traditional skills slowly over time, getting better at it -- not necessarily because I'm good at it already.

Admittedly, this last time trying to get organized and get a household routine flowing (after 8 years of being interested in the domestic arts and 2 years of doing it full-time as a SAHM!) really seems to be sticking, so I'm thrilled.
#251 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM

lol our yard is a community one to.. its actually incredibly beautiful.. it has fountains and everything.. but i can't grow anything there.. i think they might get upset at me messing up their landscaping lol. we are on the third floor so all we have is a balcony.. i really want to try container gardening but i tried growing a tomato plant last year at my old apt and we got one tomato and it never really ripened!

thanks for the houseplant suggestions.. i think i am going to get an aloe plant!
#252 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
thanks for the houseplant suggestions.. i think i am going to get an aloe plant!
No problem! I wish I didn't kill plants, but well, it is what it is. I my aloe plant though. It's pretty, difficult to kill, and has wonderfull medicinal qualities. If only everything in our lives could multitask so well.

#253 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 03:39 PM

isnt that the truth lol. so do any of you have days where you feel like you can't get anything done? sometimes with ds it seems like i am with him all day.. and then do nothing.. how do i do both?
#254 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
isnt that the truth lol. so do any of you have days where you feel like you can't get anything done? sometimes with ds it seems like i am with him all day.. and then do nothing.. how do i do both?
Well, I've been blessed with two boys that entertain themselves very well. They play together, and they play seperatly side by side. I sometimes help with suggestions for things to do or facilitate a space to color/paint/playdough but I spend very little time "playing" with them or directly entertaining them. On weeks like this when one is under the weather and needs extra cuddles, it does feel like I don't get much done. But I have some easy go-to meals that cook up quickly, and I don't try to do much crafting or baking on high needs days. If I can just maintain I feel like I did pretty good. Making sure the house is tidy before I go to bed helps a lot for days like that, because you're not starting out behind. The whole house keeping thing is still very new to me. For the past three years my tolerance for clutter has been very high, and DH (love him) who would rather a neater place, just kind of adapted to my house keeping standards. Now that I've been trying to step it up a notch, he's been laughing at me because now he has to clean again. Even on non-high need days, it's really about priorities. I find that I can usualy accomplish two major tasks in one day. And the first one is always "Watch Kids". Other than that I can either cook, clean, or sew. If I have a cooking day I may bake 4 loaves of bread and a chicken for dinner, but very little cleaning gets done. If I have a sewing day I'll probably just throw a few things in a pot for soup and call it dinner. I'm not motivated to have cleaning days very often, and I've been better at keeping up so I don't need to do major overhauls very often (like for the past two week. I told you I was pretty new to the whole housework thing :P). I hope that helps. Sorry for the novel. And I hope I don't come across preachy, because I'm really just learning all this too, but this is what has been working for me recently.

#255 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM

How old is your DS? When DD1 was littler, it was harder to get anything done; she wouldn't entertain herself for a second. DH was fantastic and he actually did most of the housework when she was a baby, because she ONLY wanted me, and there are just some things you can't do with a baby in a sling. It was a hard time for me, because DH didn't do things the same way I did and I had to keep telling myself that there's no "right" or "wrong" as long as stuff gets done.

Now, DD1 is 3.5 and DD2 is almost a year. DD1 is pretty good at entertaining both herself and her sister for short stretches, so it's easier to get things done that way. And if DD1 is having a day where she just needs to be with me (which happens pretty often, I think it's a product of me WOH), she's old enough to help with some stuff. And she loves to help. Again, I find myself having to repeat, "It doesn't have to be perfect" over and over in my head, though : Three year olds are not at all good at folding clothes :

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#256 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have those days too, where sometimes I feel nothing gets done. For me, I can't do any serious cooking, baking, sewing, or crafting unless the house is clean. So I always have to clean first. But of course, dd comes even before that. My dd is 27 months and is pretty good at entertaining herself. I try to enlist her 'help' is she wants to be involved with what I'm doing.

For example, if I'm mixing ingredients for baking I'll stand her up next to the counter where I'm working on a dining chair ( a sturdy one ) and let her 'help'. I give her own bowl and a wooden spoon and she stirs. Sometimes I just let her stir the big bowl. Or I put a couple tablespoons of water in her 'kitchen' bowl and let her 'cook' with me.

I try to set her up with a project before I start something big so she doesn't distract me. I'll get out her blocks and set them in the middle of the room where I am for example, or put in a favorite video. Or something like that.

I definintely do have days where nothing gets done besides tending to her needs (changing diapers, feeding, reading to her, hugging, and brushing her hair) and the very basic chores (making beds, clearing out sink), cooking basic food, & taking care of the dog. I get migraines so this happens more than I'd like it to. If I'm having a bad day or she is, this is basically what we do. Just the basic stuff.

Other days, I usually just pick one BIG project (like today it was to make the Christmas Gift Hot Cocoa Mix and assemble it into baggies and canisters, and then write out the directions onto cute little cards). If we are going out, I may not do a large project at all, just minor housekeeping. Like picking up toys, making beds, doing laundry, dishes, etc.)

I am trying the whole "clean as you go" routine and see if that cuts down on the major overhauling the bathroom type cleaning. My theory is to avoid crisis management, which was how I had been previously doing housework. You know, wait till the toilet is pretty nasty before you clean it.

Well, I guess I also answered the Christmas Gift question. I made Hot Cocoa Mix, put into cute little christmas baggies, tied off, put baggies into holiday canisters from Michael's and then on red cardstock (that I zigzag cut the edges-I don't know what this is called ) I wrote the directions in green sparkly gel pen ink. All adults in my family, neighbors, and friends are receiving this. Children get gifts. I bought my daughter, niece and nephew wooden puzzles toys from Imagiplay. For my other nephew, I was trying to get some clothes for him since he needs it. Still need to get more.

My dh and I use our points from our credit card to buy each other gift cards. That way we don't actually spend any money on each other! We got Amazon cards this year, mostly for cd's and books. My biggie gift this year was Victoria's Secret jammies and jeans from there as well (low five flare, baby!). And he surprised me with a jogging stroller too His version of a surprise is to go online and ask me to pick out a jogging stroller if I could have one
I know, we are dorks and do not understand what surprise is supposed to be!

OMG, this is a novel, I'll go now, Spinach Lasagna is almost done!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#257 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 PM

lol he's 10 months old and hasn't sat still since he learned to wiggle lol. and he's into everything. if he's in the kitchen he's either opening cabinets or tipping over the trash can lol
#258 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:

I answered this in my head this morning and forgot to actually post it

Get a pen and paper because I am going to tell you the 3 most important words for people like you and me- self watering containers.

Seriously.

I kill plants when I water them. I kill plants when I look at them. I have a brown thumb (thankfully I married a man with a thumb so green it's emerald but that doesn't help the plants when I go to water them). Since we have gotten self watering containers we have been able to maintain 3 house plants and have even taken trimmings from 2 of those to create 3 more plants (2 still in water and one planted and doing great).

HTH! :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#259 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Well, since everyone is posting their blog, I will share mine too, lol....

http://ginascloset.wordpress.com/

I usually post about my kids, our life, general stuff.
#260 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
lol he's 10 months old and hasn't sat still since he learned to wiggle lol. and he's into everything. if he's in the kitchen he's either opening cabinets or tipping over the trash can lol
Oi, that was a tough phase for me, newly mobile and into everything. Things started getting easier around 18 months when he got interested in joining in whatever I was doing.

Oh, and I have a bunch of pothos (invincible plants!) and a dracaena (not so happy with being cat-nibbled) and a jade plant (goes forever between waterings.) On my chore calendar I have a designated color for houseplant watering, so I can tell at a glance if it's been WAY TOO LONG since I watered. LOL.
#261 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Oh my gosh Gina I like so love you right now! Through your blog I found "Cultivating Home" and I am so in love with it. Thanks much!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#262 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Oh my gosh Gina I like so love you right now! Through your blog I found "Cultivating Home" and I am so in love with it. Thanks much!

I so forgot about her blog....I love it too!!! Glad you found it!!
#263 of 618 Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Just subbing so I can read all this great info when I have more time!
#264 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 AM

Okay I'm trying to catch up here. I've been really super tired the last few days and going to bed way early.
I have to back track a little bit.

I do NOT iron. I hate ironing with a passion. I suck at ironing. I'd just rather let things be wrinkly. But I must by stuff that doesn't wrinkle much b/c we don't seem to have a problem with it.

I tried to look back and see who it was the has talked about wanting to wake up early ahead of the family but couldn't find it so forgive me. I just wanted to say that I LOVE being the first to get up. I love having some coffee and getting on line and having total peace and quiet. I so get why you want to do this. However, my kids get up at 5:30 themselves, so there just isn't any chance to get up before them I wish. I think I would do it too. I am in a better mood and my day starts better when I have a few minutes to myself first. Instead I usually wake up to whining from my almost three year old. : But such is life and we get through it.

I have been glad to read what y'all have been saying about how your days go and how much or what you get done each day. I am right there with all of you. Each day is so different. And there are absolutely days I don't get anything done. Before I had kids I got into this mode of superclean the house one a week. All of it. (Small house, but did take me a few hours). It was nice to do it all at once. But there is no way to do that with the kids. Now I am in the mode to keep things tidy and somewhat clean as I go along. I vaccum once a week, but sweep a million times a day!! I try to clean the bathrooms once a week, but honestl I fall short sometimes. The kitchen is forever being cleaned as we all know. I do a lot of laundry all the time as we are an all cloth household 100%. I am constantly picking up and putting away as the day goes on. I rarely have empty hands. I learned this trick once I had my second child. There is no time like the present to put something away. I will tell you I really suck at mopping. I don't do it a lot. I do clean my floors, but it's more like chunks of it at a time or spot cleaning. One of my homecleaning duties I am trying to improve on it mopping. To help myself I am going to get a clorox swiffer thing (don't know what it's called but it's like the swiffer wet jet); make cloth pads for it and USE IT! I think Mops are nasty and annoying and getting down on my hands and knees is really no fun.

I know this is getting long, but this is my only chance...

As far as Xmas goes I am totally organized this year and quite honestly impressed with myself. I have gotten everything done so smoothly and in perfect time that I have not felt any stress which is my goal on top of getting it done. Every year the holiday stresses me b/c I do a lot....baking, making presents, hosting etc. And every year I get better at doing it while enjoying it instead of freaking out about it. I am not hosting at my house this year, but I have made tons of gifts. I have a huge 5 dozen cookie swap to do coming up, which is daunting seeing as how I've never makde 5 dozen of anything!! I am hosting a small holiday playdate at my house. I was trying to find a cute, simple festive activity for the three year olds. I saw a cute idea to take popcorn balls and have them decorated like round tree ornaments. But they are supposed to be eaten, no hung. Any other suggestions are welcome.
One thing I'm really trying to figure out is what to make Xmas morning at my house. I want to start a tradition. something that everyone looks forward to that is made always Xmas morning. Any thoughts? What do you make?

And actually I'd love to hear any traditions y'all have surrounding the holidays. Our children are 3 and 14 months so we are just trying to figure this out. So far we love to drive and look at lights. We have several towns to go to that have special Xmas festivities. Decorating the tree of course.
We always go to mils Xmas eve, and Fils Xmas day sometime. It's so fun to figure out traditions. It makes me very :

Well I shall end this. Thank you for reading it all if you did. Sorry it's so long, only chance I've had to write this past couple of days!

#265 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM

I had something else to add

One thing I did this year that I always knew I wanted to do and that I feel is traditional is to make my families Xmas stockings. I got it done this year and am so happy that I made them. I don't know why but it just makes them feel extra special to me and I hope they last forever. I felted sweaters I picked up from good will. Then I used some white fleece for the cuff and added decorations.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2252.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2263.jpg
Excuse the very plain, only partially decorated tree...we have a 14 month old this year!

A few years back I made our families advent calendar that is a tradition that I love. Everyday you pull an ornament to hang on the tree. The day of Christmas is a star.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2229.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_2232.jpg

#266 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 PM

How do you ladies do it with small kids? I have 2 little kids both high needs. A 11.5 month old and a 2.5 year old. Niether of them nap regularly and even when one naps the other usually doesn't. The only time I can get them both done is when we all lay down for a family nap but that happens very rarely. Night time sleep is about the same I'm up 2-6 times a night between the 2 of them.

So getting things done during naps isn't possible. And when they're awake one or both are needing something.

DD (2.5) does help pick up so I can keep the mess in line and most of the time we're fairly organized. The trouble comes when I try to do something like learning a new skill or reading a book for myself, they don't seem to like it when I do something for me. They are read to and interacted with a lot so I'm not concerned about the amount of mommy time they get.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

#267 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Cativari-I do not have high needs children, so that is the first thing. They do go through periods with each age that at times makes it more difficult then other times to get things done. Also my children go to bed very early. They go to bed at 6:30PM. My three year old has done this literally since the day he was born (of course with waking up in the night as a baby). But he has been on that schedule his whole life. We don't force it. We have tried to push it back a little bit later, since he's older now but usually the latest is still only 7 or 7:30. I did purposely try to get my youngest on the same schedule though so they would both be in bed and my dh and I would have that time at night. And it has worked. But remember, my children get up at 5:30 in the morning as well. So we get good on one end, but pay for it on the other. But that is fine with us. We like our schedule the way it is for now. But early to bed means time in the evening. I do not clean in the evenings. But I do craft quite often. As far as cleaning and cookie extensively I just let the kids do it along with me or they amuse themselves. I dont' know if they are predisposed to this or just over time they figured it out, but in our house it seems to happen naturally.

#268 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 PM

It's similar here. Once my son got to be about 18 months, he A) started going to bed reliably at about 7:30-8 and staying asleep at least until the wee hours of the morning; and B) was eager to participate in whatever I was doing. So although I can't do much when he naps (our house is set up so every sound telegraphs into the bedrooms!) I am learning to be productive while he's awake (just accepting that things will take twice as long with toddler help!), as well as working both my evening routine and "me" time into the time after he goes to bed.

I fully expect everything to change when #2 arrives, and perhaps even for it to take another 18 months to fall into a routine!
#269 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 PM

OMG I found these aprons on amazon and couldn't wait to get here to post the link. I LOVE the Josephine style! (Completely coincidental that my DD1's name is Josephine, I swear : )

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...essie%20Steele

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#270 of 618 Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Subbing! I'm about to go back to being a full time SAHM (after a few years of hybrid WAH/WOH) and I'm planning to improve my traditional homemaking skills while I have the chance to stay home. This thread is inspiring and so informative, thanks mamas! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page