Are you Stocking Up or Preparing for an Emergency? Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 259 Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Any ideas to store a 5 gallon can of gas in an apartment? I have a porch with a small storage unit but I don't know if the gas would freeze out there...
It won't freeze. It's a good idea to keep some gas at home. It's also a good idea to keep a 1-gallon empty gas can in your trunk.

We have a generator because I have nearly 40 cubic feet of freezers that are packed. I have some "space fillers" in one right now, though because we buy a side of beef every November and we are down to 2 roasts and 2 steaks..

Anyway, I keep about 20 gallons of gas for the generator. That could last us over a month of keeping the freezers going (we have a wood burning stove, so I wouldn't need to use the generator for anything else). We'd run it each evening for a few hours to keep the freezers going and that would be it. Last year it used about 1 gallon every few hours.

Rotate your gasoline like you do your food, though. After about 1 year, your gasoline, unless you've added Stabil to it, starts going bad. Each fall we put the gas in the cans into our cars and refill the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 259 Old 10-13-2008, 05:48 PM

Definitely don't want to store gas indoors. That's not safe. There shouldn't be any problem storing it outdoors in your storage unit. It won't freeze. My mom has a large gas tank that stores her bulk purchases of gasoline in and that doesn't freeze.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#123 of 259 Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
:

Oh you guys, pleeeease remember Monday is Columbus day and the banks WILL be closed so don't have a breakdown if you forget and go to the bank for something and it is closed (which is so something I would do )

STBX called when he was on his lunch break today asking me what happened. He thought that the market had completely collapsed and that was why the banks were closed! It's a rational assumption, but SO glad it's just Columbus Day!

so many roads to ease my soul...

#124 of 259 Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 PM

I've been prepared for long term emergencies since that is the way I was raised in Hawaii. My grandmother lived on the Big Island and the volcano was unpredictable so now that I am grown I've always been prepared for anything - for both natural disasters or a slowdown in the food chain.

My cousins are LDS, too, so I learned from them. I have food stored enough for a year and water enough for 6 months. I also have items, like coins and dollar bills, medical supplies, pet supplies, etc.

Yes, it's important to rotate your food supply and to buy stuff you and your family will actually eat. It's one thing to have 10# cans of macaroni noodles, but you will need to actually cook the food and eat it.

I used to have a LDS website bookmarked about food storage. Or you can Google it.
#125 of 259 Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlstar808 View Post
I have food stored enough for a year and water enough for 6 months. I also have items, like coins and dollar bills, medical supplies, pet supplies, etc.
How do you store your water?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#126 of 259 Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
How do you store your water?
My sister has HUGE 40(?) gallon food-safe drums that she stores water in. Or did, before she moved. They are still empty, but we live in the Pacific NW so it is less urgent than when she lived in Arizona. I think you can buy them from soda bottling plants.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#127 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 AM

Everyone reading this thread MUST watch this 8 min. video!

This is from a financial analyst, Karl Denninger, that I have been following very closely for the last month. He has been dead-on accurate in predicting everything that has happened. Well, I actually forgot to check his videos for a few days since he had not put one up since Oct. 7th - stupid me!

I just found this video, which he posted on SATURDAY, and in it he said exactly what happened over the weekend, and how the market would react today. Now, the reason why this is important is because thus far, he has talked about the importance of having CASH ON HAND and he has discussed the coming breakdown of the supply chains and shortages. In this video, he addresses fot the first time the need for STOCKPILING FOOD, WATER, and GAS, and how you lose nothing by doing so.

A MUST WATCH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2lfaIcQI8
#128 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Interesting.........but he didn't actually say anything we didn't already know, right?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#129 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I've never know the Santa Ana's to cause to much trouble, more a strong warm breeze then anything. Do they cause problems where your at? Here the winds are always blowing, they only stop when a storm is coming (seriously, the wind stops blowing the day before usually)
Fire danger aside, the Santa Ana winds can be pretty darned destructive in the inland valleys. I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley, in the foothill communities, and I remember a few very scary nights when the Santa Ana's were hitting 70+ mph gusts. One night we were without power for a few hours. I remember cleaning up after one really bad night... trees down all over my neighborhood, a few damaged cars... looked like a tornado rolled down the street.
#130 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 03:28 AM

Is this where we're headed?

Icelanders stocking up before supply chain runs dry

Quote:
Icelanders are flooding the supermarkets one last time, stocking up on food as the collapse of the banking system threatens to cut the island off from imports.
Bonus, a nationwide chain, has stock at its warehouse for about two weeks. After that, the shelves will start emptying unless it can get access to foreign currency
#131 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
Yup, pretty interesting. I'd like to see his other videos when I have more time.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#132 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Everyone reading this thread MUST watch this 8 min. video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2lfaIcQI8
Thanks for posting this. I was hoping to hear a larger picture re: the rebound we saw yesterday in the market.

Grace Comes.

#133 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 03:57 PM

This is a subtitled documentary film (59 min.) of the financial collapse and banking holiday in Argentina in 2001, and the wreckage it caused in their society.

I have not watched the entire film yet, but the first 5 minutes scared me pretty badly!

What a real financial collapse looks like

:
#134 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
This is a subtitled documentary film (59 min.) of the financial collapse and banking holiday in Argentina in 2001, and the wreckage it caused in their society.

I have not watched the entire film yet, but the first 5 minutes scared me pretty badly!

:
I want to watch this... and I should be doing homework!!!

#135 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 PM

I am thinking of doing a big shopping trip to Sam's Club for some more mainstream bulk products in addition to my regular bulk Frontier orders. I know Sam's Club and Walmart sucks and I usually avoid it, but I am feeling drawn to purchasing some things in bulk. Anyhoo, does anyone know if they will give out a free membership pass for the day when you get there. I have heard about this. I don't want a membership b/c frankly I don't want a reason to shop there very often.

Grace Comes.

#136 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
I am thinking of doing a big shopping trip to Sam's Club for some more mainstream bulk products in addition to my regular bulk Frontier orders. I know Sam's Club and Walmart sucks and I usually avoid it, but I am feeling drawn to purchasing some things in bulk. Anyhoo, does anyone know if they will give out a free membership pass for the day when you get there. I have heard about this. I don't want a membership b/c frankly I don't want a reason to shop there very often.
I heard that starting this Friday, they are having "10 weeks for $10". Basically through the holidays you can pay $10 to shop there. I confirmed this at my closest Sam's Club when I called them.
#137 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I heard that starting this Friday, they are having "10 weeks for $10". Basically through the holidays you can pay $10 to shop there. I confirmed this at my closest Sam's Club when I called them.
good to know

thanx!

Grace Comes.

#138 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 06:17 PM

Sam's also does a 1 time only free pass for a day. You have to ask about it when you go in.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#139 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Sam's also does a 1 time only free pass for a day. You have to ask about it when you go in.
That's what I had orginally asked about. They said they do that one a few times a year and they advertise it. At least at ours, they only give out the passes when they have a promotion going.
#140 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:

:
Ok so I watched the first 6.5 minutes but it had me in tears to see hungry angry people being beaten and harassed and shot at by police. I'm pregnant, I don't think I can watch the rest of it.

:
#141 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
Ok so I watched the first 6.5 minutes but it had me in tears to see hungry angry people being beaten and harassed and shot at by police. I'm pregnant, I don't think I can watch the rest of it.
I know - it made me cry too.

This is exactly what is happening in our country right this moment - the bankers and the government are stealing our wealth and our LIVES from us.
#142 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
That's what I had orginally asked about. They said they do that one a few times a year and they advertise it. At least at ours, they only give out the passes when they have a promotion going.
Lame! I thought they did it every day. Well, you can come borrow my Sam's card then

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#143 of 259 Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Sam's takes food stamps? They don't say on there website.

Seriously?
#144 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 PM

This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it!

After reading this, I'm realizing that my family is excellent as far as stranded at home type of emergencies are concerned--we have lots of food, water, wood for heating and cooking, etc. What we don't have is a bug-out bag in case we have to leave home. Gotta work on that!
#145 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Okay, all.

I will be headed to the store this afternoon to stockpile shop for the first time ever. I would say I only have between $25-$40 to spend on stockpile items. Would anyone mind helping me with some suggestions? I've gleaned a few ideas from all the resources I've been reading over the past few days. But just for helps sake, what would YOU get?

TIA
#146 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiabloom View Post
Okay, all.

I will be headed to the store this afternoon to stockpile shop for the first time ever. I would say I only have between $25-$40 to spend on stockpile items. Would anyone mind helping me with some suggestions? I've gleaned a few ideas from all the resources I've been reading over the past few days. But just for helps sake, what would YOU get?

TIA
The point is not what *I* would get. We don't eat what you do. What do *you* eat? Stockpile extras of whatever you eat.
#147 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The point is not what *I* would get. We don't eat what you do. What do *you* eat? Stockpile extras of whatever you eat.
:

#148 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
:
The thing is, what works for me may not work for you. For example, I live in a part of the country with long, cold winters, so I prepare for blizzards and ice storms. If you (the general you) live in Miami, that would obviously not apply to you! So, stockpile things you and your family will need in the next few months. Also, take your schedule into account. It might be great to make your own soap, but do you have the time for it? I don't. I work full-time outside the home, and barely have time to do dishes and laundry! I'm older and my kids are grown, so I don't have to worry about stocking items like diapers or feminine hygiene products. (I'm past menopause). Most of you will.

Are you thinking more of food or non-food items? For non-foods, I'd stock up on soap, shampoo, toilet paper, laundry detergent, and dish soap. Those of you who have more time on your hands may be able to buy ingredients and make them yourself.

For foods, we eat a lot of brown rice, so we buy it in a 25 lb. bags. We eat a lot of pasta, too, so we order a box of whole wheat spaghetti, whole wheat noodles, etc. We belong to a buying club and place orders once a month.
#149 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM

If it were me, I would focus first on high-calorie, heat-and-eat, or no-cooking needed, add-water-only type stuff.

Things that you could eat (and of course, I mean things you WILL eat and LIKE) in a true emergency that might include a loss of power.

Canned meat/chicken/fish, stews, soups, veggies, fruit, instant oatmeal packets, pancake mix, powdered milk, shelf-stable milk, or soymilk, etc.
#150 of 259 Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
And pick up a container of salt while it's only about 49 cents. It WILL go up.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page