Are you Stocking Up or Preparing for an Emergency? Support Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 259 Old 10-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
Velochic- I couldn't get yours to load up for some reason.

Seeing the other pics, I def have a long way to go. I am so not as stocked up as I should be!
I took them down. I'll put them back up for a while, but in general, I don't like leaving that info out on the internet.

OK... they're back up. And just a note... that lard you see in some of the pix are for soapmaking. We don't actually consume it. The lard we consume is the healthy , non-hydrogenated rendered lard from the Amish that I keep in the fridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 259 Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 PM

Ah I understand. Thanks for sharing the pics.

So will things like toothpaste and soap last forever basically? I really need to restock those things.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#183 of 259 Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighB View Post
Ah I understand. Thanks for sharing the pics.

So will things like toothpaste and soap last forever basically? I really need to restock those things.
I think soap will. Some toothpaste containers have expiration dates, but I don't know how important those are. We just used the last of a tube that had expired a couple months before, and I didn't notice any taste difference.
#184 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 03:03 AM

For those of you who listen to Coast to Coast AM, or others who might be interested, there is going to be a show tomorrow night about the Great Depression, and today's financial issues.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2008/10/18.html
#185 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
For those of you who listen to Coast to Coast AM, or others who might be interested, there is going to be a show tomorrow night about the Great Depression, and today's financial issues.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2008/10/18.html
I C2C!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#186 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
I think soap will. Some toothpaste containers have expiration dates, but I don't know how important those are. We just used the last of a tube that had expired a couple months before, and I didn't notice any taste difference.
I'm not sure about this, but I wonder if it's the fluoride that goes "bad"? But yeah, ours has an expiry, too.

Which is why I keep lots of baking soda on hand! Even if the baking soda goes past its expiry for baking, you can still used it as a natural toothpaste. I have sensitive teeth, so I use baking soda regularly. It's very difficult for me to find toothpaste without whitening... which irritates my sensitive, already white enough, teeth.
#187 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I'm not sure about this, but I wonder if it's the fluoride that goes "bad"? But yeah, ours has an expiry, too.

Which is why I keep lots of baking soda on hand! Even if the baking soda goes past its expiry for baking, you can still used it as a natural toothpaste. I have sensitive teeth, so I use baking soda regularly. It's very difficult for me to find toothpaste without whitening... which irritates my sensitive, already white enough, teeth.
I looked on the net for info on this last night after I posted, and the consensus seems to be that after time the fluoride will lose its efficacy. It does not appear that it goes "bad" in the sense it will harm your teeth, however.

I've tried baking soda for teeth since I use it for so much else, but the taste just turns me off. Plus, I have very poor enamel on my teeth and don't want to cause any problems with the abrasiveness of the baking soda. I've actually found the thing that makes my teeth feel the cleanest is to just brush with a dry brush and no toothpaste every once in a while. It doesn't hurt that doing so requires no additional cost other than the brush.

ETA - We do stockpile toothbrushes.
#188 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info, shelbell. I hadn't looked it up.
#189 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM

baking soda for toothbrushing brings back horrible childhood memories. Note to self: add toothpaste to my list.

So, I shopped at the Sam's Club and I have to say I was really impressed. I only got a few things but was making mental notes for what to pick up later. We are literlly one week away from our big downsizing move and I am utterly stressed out. DD is also sick and also has some major teeth coming in. It's been a cray time.

But, after much researching, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how to stock up in a small apartment flat. My plan is to keep and rotate about 2 months worth of food and supplies. I am using extra large canning jars and 5 gallon glass jars for bulk grains. In the laundry room, we are putting in industrial style shelving. (actually the whole space is very euro/industrial design and I am loving it!) and there we will stock bulk orders or tp, water, cleaners, etc. I have gotten a Frontier membership and have budgeted $250 every 10 weeks for supplies. This way I get free shipping and I have a large stock of the kinds of things we like to use. And I'll be utilizing Sam's club in the upcoming weeks and we should be set.
2 months feels perfect to me... I guess I am a moderate stockpiler

Grace Comes.

#190 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Don't know if you ladies are seeing the same thing, but I have noticed locally that food prices have been going down a little bit lately. The nerd in me loves these graphs on commodity prices, as well. I grabbed several cans of things at the grocery store yesterday to boost my stockpile. Black beans at .55/can; had been .65/can for the past few months, and most of my stockpile of them was bought at .50/can about 6-8 months ago. Also got a couple of cans of pineapple at $1.08/can - had been $1.18/can recently; we used up the last of my stash during Ike, which had been bought at $1/can last year.

Anyone else seeing food prices falling? It kind of makes me do a happy dance for my stockpile. :
#191 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Sharon Astyk's blog had a good post yesterday on frugal stockpiling. It's a very basic (and kind of long) article, but I do think it's valuable for any beginning stockpilers on here or to pass along to IRL stockpiling newbies.
#192 of 259 Old 10-18-2008, 11:12 PM

I've been following the other threads, and just caught up with this one.

We just bought a new house, and usually purchase purified water to drink. Do you think a whole-home water filtration system would be a good idea? I've been looking at this one:
http://www.purewaterexpress.com/wholehouse.htm#1
Expensive, but do you think it would be useful in these situations?
#193 of 259 Old 10-19-2008, 01:05 AM

subbing
#194 of 259 Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Sharon Astyk's blog had a good post yesterday on frugal stockpiling. It's a very basic (and kind of long) article, but I do think it's valuable for any beginning stockpilers on here or to pass along to IRL stockpiling newbies.
I LOVE her -- her book is great, too.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#195 of 259 Old 10-19-2008, 11:54 AM

I'm so excited! My mil said she still owed my husband for work he did so she bought me a bushel of apples from the local orchard. A friend brought me potatoes from her garden and my husband went and gleaned some. I have sooo many that I'm going to be canning for weeks! Our only expense was less than a gallon of gas. I love fall around here because produce is so abundant.

:
#196 of 259 Old 10-19-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganjoy View Post
I've been following the other threads, and just caught up with this one.

We just bought a new house, and usually purchase purified water to drink. Do you think a whole-home water filtration system would be a good idea? I've been looking at this one:
http://www.purewaterexpress.com/wholehouse.htm#1
Expensive, but do you think it would be useful in these situations?
A home filtration system would be good in normal conditions, but it is of no use to you in an emergency situation. This means a LOSS of water - that's why you have to store water. And then you need a smaller water filter in case you have an extended period of city water loss and are forced to go get water from another source that may not be potable.
#197 of 259 Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 PM

subbing!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#198 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Article.
Quote:
The Vermont Department of Health is urging residents to prepare for a possible worldwide flu pandemic by stocking their pantries with enough food to stay home for two weeks.

People should buy things like dried foods that have a long shelf life, said Health Commissioner Wendy Davis.
Burlington is one of nine communities around the country taking part in a pilot project sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to get ready for what scientists believe is the coming pandemic.
Some of the foods the Health Department is recommending people stock up on are peanut butter, jelly, dried milk, raisins, nuts, cans of pumpkin, diced tomatoes, rice, pasta, flour and sugar.

The Health Department estimates it would cost about $200 for a family of four to have enough food for two weeks.
#199 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 PM

why canned pumpkin?

#200 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
why canned pumpkin?
it's high is nuteriants (sp?) and can be used in many different ways like strechting a soup or stew, mixing with mashed potatoes, etc.

It's canned so has longer shelf life and it nuteriant dense food.
#201 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM

Here's the link to the vermont site with a downloadable list of supplies Pumpkin is listed as a "vitamin food" along with tomatoes and raisins.

http://healthvermont.gov/panflu/takethelead.aspx
#202 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
why canned pumpkin?
Helloooooo! It's DELICIOUS!!!! :

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#203 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Ok, kinda OT but I've been dying to ask this question for a while: Where is this 'impending' talk coming from? Ever since the 'impending' bird flu was set to become a pandemic in 2006 I've been wondering what all the hype is about. How is a pandemic 'impending' when there are no signs of a new virus coming out? I dunno, maybe I'm tinfoiling a bit, but is someone trying to set up a massive pandemic??? Make $$$ from the flu shot? It just doesn't make sense that a pandemic has been 'impending' for 2+ yrs, ya know?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#204 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
Ok, kinda OT but I've been dying to ask this question for a while: Where is this 'impending' talk coming from? Ever since the 'impending' bird flu was set to become a pandemic in 2006 I've been wondering what all the hype is about. How is a pandemic 'impending' when there are no signs of a new virus coming out? I dunno, maybe I'm tinfoiling a bit, but is someone trying to set up a massive pandemic??? Make $$$ from the flu shot? It just doesn't make sense that a pandemic has been 'impending' for 2+ yrs, ya know?

Ami
I don't know about impending flu issues, but I can tell you I'm definitely worried about impending line of credit issues and the potential for short term supply disruptions caused by the same. Plus, after Hurricane Ike, I've realized the power of my stockpile. I convinced a neighbor to let me hang out in their house when we had no power in exchange for cooking them dinner from my stockpile. Ahh, the joys of AC.

ETA - I'm not sure where all of the 'impending' flu talk is coming from. My DH has been on me forever to buy H5N1-proof masks.
#205 of 259 Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know about impending flu issues, but I can tell you I'm definitely worried about impending line of credit issues and the potential for short term supply disruptions caused by the same. Plus, after Hurricane Ike, I've realized the power of my stockpile. I convinced a neighbor to let me hang out in their house when we had no power in exchange for cooking them dinner from my stockpile. Ahh, the joys of AC.
thats is when i learned the wonders of my stash too!!
my husband and i always make sure that we have a stock pile during hurricane season and man are we glad that we did.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#206 of 259 Old 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
I dunno, maybe I'm tinfoiling a bit, but is someone trying to set up a massive pandemic??? Make $$$ from the flu shot? It just doesn't make sense that a pandemic has been 'impending' for 2+ yrs, ya know?

Ami
:

Then there's this:

500,000 plastic coffins in Georgia

WTH for???

:
#207 of 259 Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
:

Then there's this:

WTH for???

:
Thanks StacyL. Really. Thanks. Now how am I going to get some sleep tonight? lol &

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#208 of 259 Old 10-21-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
:

Then there's this:

WTH for???

:
Seriously.. I don't know how to move out of the country with no money!

#209 of 259 Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 AM

EEEEEK. I am never leaving my house again.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#210 of 259 Old 10-21-2008, 02:39 AM

Wood coffins are very expensive. It makes sense to make plastic. How many Americans die every year? About 2 million. How many Chinese or Indians? It's chilling but if you want to make money in a troubled economy, investing in death isn't a bad idea.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page