Are you Stocking Up or Preparing for an Emergency? Support Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 259 Old 10-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to join this thread, too. We do have some things, but nothing like the pictures I saw. We have A LOT in freezers, but that would do no good if the power went out. I talked to DH about stocking up, and he thinks I'm crazy, but said OK.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#242 of 259 Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allielb View Post
I first started feeling compelled to be more prepared for whatever after reading a post-apocalyptical (sp?) novel Dies the Fire which takes place in the area I live.
The book is actually the first of a trilogy. The other two aren't quite as good, but it's an interesting read to see how important community is. As much as stocking up is key, so too is finding people you can trust and people you know will keep their mouths shut.

For example, I put up my pics for a short time, but would never keep them up for others to see IRL. The only people IRL who know I prep are my next door neighbors, with whom we would hunker down in a bad situation, and my family members that are welcome here in a desperate situation. The next door neighbors are key for us because we are not comfortable owning firearms and they are... and know how to use them for hunting. They are also hard workers and would not sponge. Likewise, we have the heat and cooking source they don't have and we're equally as hard working with a completely different set of talents. They are also good friends that we dearly love.

It's important to include in your preps people you will want around you in a crisis. YKWIM?
#243 of 259 Old 10-25-2008, 11:18 PM

Velochic - I missed your pic. If you put it back up again please let me know. I'd love to see it!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#244 of 259 Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Velochic - I missed your pic. If you put it back up again please let me know. I'd love to see it!
: Please!
#245 of 259 Old 10-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
The book is actually the first of a trilogy. The other two aren't quite as good, but it's an interesting read to see how important community is. As much as stocking up is key, so too is finding people you can trust and people you know will keep their mouths shut.

For example, I put up my pics for a short time, but would never keep them up for others to see IRL. The only people IRL who know I prep are my next door neighbors, with whom we would hunker down in a bad situation, and my family members that are welcome here in a desperate situation. The next door neighbors are key for us because we are not comfortable owning firearms and they are... and know how to use them for hunting. They are also hard workers and would not sponge. Likewise, we have the heat and cooking source they don't have and we're equally as hard working with a completely different set of talents. They are also good friends that we dearly love.

It's important to include in your preps people you will want around you in a crisis. YKWIM?
That's a very good point. Not many people know what I have stocked up on, really the only people who know what we've got are the people who we would be expecting to weather bad times with. Even on here, I don't think I've ever posted any specifics about how much of anything we have, I just don't think it's necessary to share that much detail, although I sure do appreciate you sharing your pics with us!

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
#246 of 259 Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Does anyone use food-grade diatomaceous earth on their grains/rice/beans to keep them bug-free? If so, do you have to rinse/dry your grains/beans/etc before use?

Yes, I've used it on my grains and some beans (although I mainly drypack with oxygen absorbers for beans). There's no need to rinse. Your body processes it just like calcium. HTH!
#247 of 259 Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 AM

So, all the food storage sites talk about storing dry milk, and I've done that for the kiddies. But I'm lactose-intolerant and suspect DD#2 may be heading that way, too. Do any of you mamas know of a powdered soy or rice milk that can be stored? And maybe even tastes a little bit OK?
#248 of 259 Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglemom View Post
So, all the food storage sites talk about storing dry milk, and I've done that for the kiddies. But I'm lactose-intolerant and suspect DD#2 may be heading that way, too. Do any of you mamas know of a powdered soy or rice milk that can be stored? And maybe even tastes a little bit OK?
This is the first thing that popped up when I did a Google search for bulk powdered soy milk, and it looks like there are lots of other brands/sites selling it out there.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#249 of 259 Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
This is the first thing that popped up when I did a Google search for bulk powdered soy milk, and it looks like there are lots of other brands/sites selling it out there.
Ha, it's all in the google search parameters! I hadn't used the word "bulk" in my searches and kept getting sites that sold little 16 oz. packages. Thanks, Pariah! Now, has anyone tried any of these brands? It looks like Now and Better Than Milk are the most popular ones. I'll ask on the food forum, too.
#250 of 259 Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Ha, it's all in the google search parameters! I hadn't used the word "bulk" in my searches and kept getting sites that sold little 16 oz. packages. Thanks, Pariah! Now, has anyone tried any of these brands? It looks like Now and Better Than Milk are the most popular ones. I'll ask on the food forum, too.
I bought 10 packages of the NOW brand. But I haven't tried it yet. I think I got them for around $4.75 each.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#251 of 259 Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
What about DariFree? http://www.vancesfoods.com/darifree.htm

Seriously?
#252 of 259 Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM

We don't have our BOB either.
#253 of 259 Old 11-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Thanks for posting that, it was interesting.
#254 of 259 Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 AM

I like this thread, It's motivating. I'm not fearful but it is good to be prepared. I think I would just have rice, beans, flour, yeast, and powdered milk on hand.

and of course water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
I hadn't even thought about having cash on hand - mostly because if there is cash, DH will spend it.

I'm working for my mom right now so the earnings I make from that I think I will keep in hand. We do have a spare change jar with about $50 in it but who wants to lug that sucker around?
money won't be any good in a depression. It might help just before the huge crash if there is even time for that. The best thing would probably be to keep the car full with gas and have 2 gas cans with some money to fill them taped to them.

What will be of value and trade able during a depression would be jewelry/gold. If you have money I would suggest using some of it to buy gold.
#255 of 259 Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post

money won't be any good in a depression.
This isn't necessarily true. In the Depression of the 30s, cash was still king. Most people just didn't have any.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#256 of 259 Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
This isn't necessarily true. In the Depression of the 30s, cash was still king. Most people just didn't have any.
You are right. I guess I'm thinking this would be a different type of depression since the American dollar is already not valued at much. I'm not sure how money was so different back then but I'm guessing it was...I think that coin was still made with silver and not just plated like ours is today.

Here is a video that a friend sent to me that is suppose to be really good and educational. I haven't watched it yet but it might be helpful in educating some of us about what we really need to do/don't need to do to prepare.
#257 of 259 Old 11-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Wasn't the dollar still tied to gold back then? So every dollar was 'worth' a certain amount of gold.

Honestly, either way, I don't think I'd be investing in gold right now - its WAY up in price, which makes it just not worth it for the vast majority of the population, you know? Now, if you invested in gold 10, 15 years ago, when it was cheap, your probably pretty happy. But I just really don't see hte logic in buying into gold when its up SOO high!!
#258 of 259 Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 AM

There was a new thread started here.

We can move the Gold vs. Cash discussion there!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#259 of 259 Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
Also, what do you guys think of joining a gym? ...
... I want to work out but I don't want to lose $200 either, kwim?
What would you guys do?
I know this is old, but I don't think it's a bad idea even if the gm went under in 6 months. the fitter you are the better off you will be in case of emergency.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen http://www.efoodsdirect.com . My dh heard about them and wanted to order, but shipping is so much and I don't like the food options so we want to just find things locally. I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page