Mothering Forum banner

Are you Stocking Up or Preparing for an Emergency? Support Thread

16K views 258 replies 57 participants last post by  weliveintheforest 
#1 ·
HI!
I was hoping that we can get together and talk about building stockpiles and general emergency preparedness as well as survival skills etc

We are stocking up right now because with the financial markets tanking we are concerned that we will either be in a situation where we can't afford food or that food will not be available (banking holiday)

I would like this thread to be for support only
:

Anyone Else???

Helpful LINKS

How to Make An OVEN from a Cardboard Box!
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com...-box-oven.html

As for foraging, if you live in the Pacific Northwest this is a great book
http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Wi.../dp/0882403699

Basic food storage guide lines
http://www.trackmyfoodstorage.com/ar...eid=4&zoneid=1

Link to a serious prepper's EXCELLENT prepping guide. "I know him from a survivalist and emergency prepping forum and he is level-headed and smart about prepping. I've gotten tons of great advice from him. He's not a tin-foil donning weirdo. His guide is worth printing out."
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/Index.html

This page has instructions to make a whole bunch of different solar ovens, most of them very cheaply
http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

Just for reference sake:
Here's the one that started it all

Second Old thread here

Third thread that's now debating

Here's a link from a guy who lived through the Argentinian collapse and how it has affected society and his family's habits. Btw, I have a 20+ page essay that goes into more detail about the changes society went through. If anyone's interested, please pm me with your email addy.

Blog about Argentina's collapse and its effects up to today

And this link is from a couple of LDS women, I think. They make food storage much more simple to figure out (look at their baby steps). The one thing I like is that they offer an excel spreadsheet that you enter your meals into, which then calculates what & how much you need to buy of each ingredient used in the meals. lol, I hope what I just said makes sense.
Food Storage made easy

Canned Butter
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...-butter/Detail

Canned Coffee
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...d-Costa/Detail

But somehow canned cottage cheese sounds really gross!
http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-...Cheeses/Detail

How to Make Lye Soap
(Thanks Velochic!!)

6lbs. of lard
1 can of Red Devil Lye (I get this at my hardware store, but it's a country general store and I've heard getting pure lye in cities is hard because it's a meth ingredient)
2.5 pints of cold water

-Add the lye to the cold water (do not add the water to the lye!)
-The water will heat up through a chemical process, when it is warm, not hot, add it to the lard and stir it to melt the fat.
-When it's cool, pour it into a wooden box.
-This soap get hard, so make sure you don't let it cool too much before you cut it. Let it cool overnight and viola!

There are some gotchas. The first step... mind that one. Make sure your utensils and pot are safe for lye (Dad has an enamel pot he uses). They cannot be used for cooking afterward. Lye is dangerous, so use gloves. If you want to add a scent, like rose water or scented oil, do it after the lard is melted, but before the soap gets too stiff.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I'm not exactly stockpiling, but am trying to get our emergency kit ready again ( I have lapsed in that area) and stock the pantry for winter. It's supposed to be a bad one I've heard. I really, really don't like driving out in the ice/snow here as the road we live off of is narrow and people drive recklessly on it no matter the weather.

I'd like to have about three months worth of stuff in our pantry and freezer together just to make things easier.

I've also thought it would be good to buy on sale now to stock up on things we use as prices will probably go up at some point. If I can get things now and tuck them away, that would be nice.

So far I've gotten a fair amount of canned soups and that is it.

I have lists made of what we have left to get for the emergency kit ( more flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, etc.) and have yet to make up a pantry list.

:

#3 ·
Here

I am just planning on a few weeks' worth really -- but I have that luxury as dh's job is extremely secure. If it got to the point of, nothing on the shelves full on Depression situation, we can go to his parents' land in MI who are off the grid ready (but not off the grid now). I realize not everyone has that luxury though.

#4 ·
I hadn't even thought about having cash on hand - mostly because if there is cash, DH will spend it.

I'm working for my mom right now so the earnings I make from that I think I will keep in hand. We do have a spare change jar with about $50 in it but who wants to lug that sucker around?

#5 ·
Gosh, I wasn't planning on stockpiling, but after reading about it it probably isn't a bad idea!

But one thing I do wonder about, is how much time do I have? When do you think that everything is going to chaos? (sh*t hitting the fan, as I've read). I mean, are people trying to get things stockpiled by the end of the month? I don't know, it may sound like a silly question, but what is the "Stockpile Timeline" so to speak.

And I already have stockpiled water. BUt I worry about that, b/c if things are really really bad, then what happens when your 2-week water supply runs out? Are people digging wells?

And last, do people stockpile for a month, or for years? I guess I'm really fascinated by the whole stockpiling concept and am trying to understand what people mean by it.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
I hadn't even thought about having cash on hand - mostly because if there is cash, DH will spend it.

I'm working for my mom right now so the earnings I make from that I think I will keep in hand. We do have a spare change jar with about $50 in it but who wants to lug that sucker around?

Wouldn't cash be worthless though?

#7 ·
roll call
:

We are stocking up for 1 month for basic supplies, and just being more mindful of what medicines, supplies, survival stuff we have on hand... just cuz, ya know?

We are more seriously paying off all debts, updating passports, living within our means, making life more simple, etc. That's where it's at for us.

Our plan, which I am so grateful for, is to be completely debt free by 2009! We'll own everything outright, even if our home is only 700 sq ft with no yard.

#9 ·
Thanks for starting this thread here! Now we can focus on helping each other rather than debate whether this is a good idea or not! lol

Just for reference sake:

Second Old thread here

Here's a link from a guy who lived through the Argentinian collapse and how it has affected society and his family's habits. Btw, I have a 20+ page essay that goes into more detail about the changes society went through. If anyone's interested, please pm me with your email addy.

And this link is from a couple of LDS women, I think. They make food storage much more simple to figure out (look at their baby steps). The one thing I like is that they offer an excel spreadsheet that you enter your meals into, which then calculates what & how much you need to buy of each ingredient used in the meals. lol, I hope what I just said makes sense.
Food Storage made easy

Anyone do solar food dehydrators? I just got a book on it and it seems simple enough. I really like dried fruits & veggies, and they are so expensive!

Ami

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
Not during a scenario like a banking holiday. Which unfortunately is looking like a very realistic possibility. I can't believe I am even considering this stuff, but in light of recent events I refuse to put my head in the sand (even though it is quite comfy
)

I think that some people have cash in case they have to evacuate and there is not time to get to the bank. I think it is one of those "Better to Have it and Not Need it than to Need it and Not Have It" situations. In fact, that should probably be the title for this thread

A Lot of people live in areas where they have to evacuate due to natural disasters and they are preparing for that.

#11 ·
Quote:

maybe, but it couldn't hurt. If the banks did get shut down for a while, it would be nice to have a little cushion in case we needed to put gas in the car or something, you know?

#12 ·
Here!

We have $1000 cash on hand (in a fireproof safely hidden place
)

I have about 1-3 months worth of dry food supplies.

Have a go bag 90% ready to rock n roll

I rotate out the stash so that nothing goes bad. And refill as needed.

Water: only 2.5 gals right now, but are on city water and am betting on getting some kind of warning to fill up tubs and storage tanks

Gas: Don't let either car get below 50% thinking about possibly maybe not even sure filling a 5 gal w/gas in garage, But really how far is 5 gal gonna get me?

Camp stove/propane: check

Candles/lighters: Check

Duct tape: check

hand crank radio/light/siren: check

baseball bat: check

MRE's: check

What I still need to buy:

Batteries
gal bleach for water purification purposes
more cash? maybe
can opener for go bag
Photocopies of important papers for go bag
Recent photos of us and doggie for go bag
New harness/collar/muzzle for dog
weapon: maybe
List of emergency contact phone numbers/addresses for go bag

SHTF Timeline:

???
Some predictors that I read (Chris Martenson, FerFal, Mish (global economic trend analysis), Karl Denninger, Heck even Glenn Beck) are saying

Pretty imminent for market collapse

What does that mean?

I don't really know is the real answer, and neither does anyone else.

#13 ·
Hi everybody
: It's nice over here, but the other thread took up DD's whole nap.

-I'm really wanting a crank radio/flashlight/cell phone charger now. Well, I've always wanted one, but, you know. I'll plan for it as a Christmas splurge since we are in town.
-Dh is getting some cash out of the bank on his way home tonight... He was asking me "But won't places still accept a check?" and all i could say was "Who takes a check now, anyway?" Sad, but true
-Need a gas can... I think 5 gallons would get you pretty far, depending on your gas mileage. Our car gets 30 miles to the gallon, so on 5 gallons, we could get approx 150 miles. (aka to MIL's or an entire weeks worth of driving to Dh's job)

That's all I have time for now, folks!

#15 ·
Quote:

Thanks for starting this thread here! Now we can focus on helping each other rather than debate whether this is a good idea or not! lol

Just for reference sake:

Second Old thread here

Food Storage made easy

Anyone do solar food dehydrators? I just got a book on it and it seems simple enough. I really like dried fruits & veggies, and they are so expensive!

Ami

I hope you don't mind but I added all of that to the OP

#17 ·
answering posts from the old thread-

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post

As some of ya'll know, we are actually in the process of downsizing and moving OFF the land and into the city. We will have gardening space available to us if need be and are close with lots of farmers, so I know if I needed a plot, I could easily trade my labor for it and heirloom seed. But it is feeling important to me right now to cut my bills in 1/3 by living in a small space. It is also feeling important to be on the bus line, and within walking distance to family, friends, the library, gov't buildings, etc. Anyone else out there feeling this, or am I alone on this one?
If we were to go to MIL's she is close to the train back into the city.. and I plan on continuing my college while I am still getting federal aid!

Quote:

So what does one do? Dump it all out, and then re-stockpile?

Take canned goods. Same thing? When all the food is close to expireation date, do you give it to a homeless shelter and then go get more, and re-stockpile all over again?
The first rule of food storage is "store what you eat, and eat what you store." If you don't eat oatmeal, for example, it's pretty pointless to put that in your food storage for 20 years. But if you do eat oatmeal, you rotate your supply- replace it when you open a new container.

#18 ·
Hi!

So since the beginning of September or so I've been stocking up as we've been able. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time but never got around to. This financial crisis has really given me a kick in the pants. We've got enough food in the house to get us through maybe a month. I'd like to get more but I really need to figure out storage since our house is very small and crowded already.

I've also purchased a pressure canner and some jars.. though I have yet to try it yet. I've been making sauerkraut this summer with good success and I want to say that the book, "Wild Fermentation" is a great resource.

As for foraging, if you live in the Pacific Northwest this is a great book-
http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Wi.../dp/0882403699

I'm thinking of going on a big shopping trip this weekend and was wondering about vitamins. I have a feeling that a bunch of gummy vitamins probably aren't the most efficient or cost effective choice. Does any one have a recommendations?

#19 ·
Quote:

But one thing I do wonder about, is how much time do I have? When do you think that everything is going to chaos? (sh*t hitting the fan, as I've read). I mean, are people trying to get things stockpiled by the end of the month? I don't know, it may sound like a silly question, but what is the "Stockpile Timeline" so to speak.

And I already have stockpiled water. BUt I worry about that, b/c if things are really really bad, then what happens when your 2-week water supply runs out? Are people digging wells?

And last, do people stockpile for a month, or for years? I guess I'm really fascinated by the whole stockpiling concept and am trying to understand what people mean by it.
I think we have about 2 months worth of food. I would ideally like about 6-9 months, until next growing season.

I have not stockpiled water. I live down the street from a community well, and if we go to MIL's she has spring water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Oh my gosh, I am SUCH a geek. Look what I just found!

Make an oven from a CARDBOARD BOX!!!

That's awesome.. that whole blog is awesome!

---

Can we talk about Go-Bags? I am wondering if we need to put on together. We don't live in Hurricane, flood, or Tornado country (with rare exceptions), and an occasional (really rare) earthquake....

#20 ·
As I mentioned on the other thread, I have been a prepper for years now. I live in earthquake and tornado country. This current financial crisis has not changed anything that I've been doing for a long time.

I will say that last night I checked my BOB and made some changes, but that was mainly because the seasons are changing.

ETA: I don't think it's ever too late to prep, but it's important to not prep out of fear-fueled emotion. Keep a level head, evaluate what you will *truly* use and go slow.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
I hope you don't mind but I added all of that to the OP

No prob! There's just so much good useful info that I was afraid would get lost. Maybe people who posted links in the previous thread (esp the locked second thread) could repost those here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpyr View Post
I'm thinking of going on a big shopping trip this weekend and was wondering about vitamins. I have a feeling that a bunch of gummy vitamins probably aren't the most efficient or cost effective choice. Does any one have a recommendations?
As for regular vitamins, I'd go for a prenatal for the women, and one formulated for men. I read somewhere while preggo with ds2 that all women of childbearing age should really be taking prenatals, rather than regular vitamins. I'd prolly also get some Flinstones for ds.

As for vit. C, I LOVE Emergen-C. I use it for colds and it comes in huge packages in Costco. It's something like 1000mg vit.C and some other vitamins too in yummy fizzy drink form.

Ami

#23 ·
Quote:

As for vit. C, I LOVE Emergen-C. I use it for colds and it comes in huge packages in Costco. It's something like 1000mg vit.C and some other vitamins too in yummy fizzy drink form.

We love Emergen-C too. We have 3 boxes of it! I didn't know they sold it at Costco.. I'll look next time.

#25 ·
We've had food and HBA stockpiled for some time now... so long as the power holds we are okay.

If the power goes, we still have a gas stove so could hopefully pressure can the chicken in the freezer.

If the gas goes as well, we do have some camps stoves we could try our best. I'd like to get a propane outdoor stove and a tank and I could pressure can in the back yard.

We have 2 berkey fitlers, but would have to haul water from the city creek that's about 4-5 blocks away. Not ideal, but we have a bike trailer that we could transport it in so long as roving gangs didn't attack us.....

What we don't have in place yet are BOB (bug out bags) ready to grab, but have been meaning to do so for the past year... we spoke about it again at lunch today so it's acknowledged that we need to get that done ASAP. We also need to prepare papers in a safety box along with have some cash at home. Gold/ silver would be ideal as well, but don't have any yet.

I would like to have several cans of gas at the ready, but that too is a failing. Should we need to flee the city, it's a 15 hour drive to my folks place in IL, or 30 drive to his folks place in OR. Both live in smaller towns/ cities on a good bit of land.

Firepower is also lacking in our house.

We have a lot of work to still do

#26 ·
Quote:

I wish I knew. All I know is I am doing whatever I can as fast as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.