Electrical Outlets in Bedrooms-How many? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How many do you have? How many do you wish you had? I meet with the electrician today to tell him where I want all my light fixtures, switches, cable, electrical outlets, etc. I don't want to pay for more than I need but I don't want to be pound foolish.

Thanks!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my bedroom has one set of outlets. i hate having only one wall with power. the bare minimum imo is to have them on opposite walls, but ideally on three walls.

of course, you've probably already met with your electrician at this point!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM

When we built our house we had to choose all of that. We went with one outlet on every wall and more than one on walls over about 10 or 11 feet long. I grew up in a house that only had one or two outlets per room and it was a constant irritation. I can honestly say that I have never had that in my own home. We might have overdone it a bit, but I would much rather put too many in than wish I had more later.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM

I agree with pp at least one per wall!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM

3-4 (each on different walls) makes sense to me.

Our house is 103 years old, but the owners before us did wall and electrical work upstairs. We have an average of 2 outlets per wall! In the bedroom we use as an office, it's a nice feature, but most of the others are not used.

You can imagine how nice it was, though, since we moved from an apartment with only 1 outlet per room, and none of the outlets had the third, grounding prong. DH and I each had computers, monitors, we had a printer, a fax, answering machine, a TV, a VCR, a DVD player all jammed into the one sad living room outlet, daisy-chained with extension cords. Not good!!!!!!

Anyway, yeah, 3-4 per room would be good and not overkill.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 PM

We have one per wall but I hate where our tv cable outlets are - in the bedrooms they are in the middle of the wall. But in bedrooms with lots of furniture you sometimes want to put the tv in a corner. Then the cord is all over the room. I wish I had layed out our furniture before deciding where to put the cable outlets.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 PM

We have one per wall and one or two walls also have an additional one, IIRC. I hate cords running all over the place so it's nice to have a plug close to wherever we need it.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Where we live, it is required to have at least one outlet every 6 feet. So some walls will have just one while others will have more than one. We recently developed our basement and we had the electrician run an outlet every 5 f or at least where we think we may need it. Have a rough layout of your furniture placement and then have the outlet accordingly. BTW, it only cost us a few dollars per outlet.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM

check with your zoning folks in your community about their requirements... could effect your insurance coverage if not by the books, I know that you can add more than the minimun and be okay.

I would like to have 1 outlet on each side of the bed, not behind the bed, but beside it. one on the wall opposite the bed at least and then depending on room layout 1 to 2 on each other wall (I would want one near the closet if there was no light in there so that you could use a lamp nearby to shine light in there for those big declutterings or when I can't find something way in the back.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
There are regulations requiring a certain number. It ends up that each room will have between 7 and 14 depending on the size of the room. So I guess I didn't need to worry.

Thanks!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 AM

I agree with one on every wall. I would also have him run cable/phone to every room. It is easier to do now than later, even though it might be more expensive. It also ads to resale if they know they are not going to have to run flipping cable to were they want.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
There are regulations requiring a certain number. It ends up that each room will have between 7 and 14 depending on the size of the room. So I guess I didn't need to worry.

Thanks!
7 - 14 outlets per room?!?!!?! WOW

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 AM

We have one on each wall.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

User Tag List