How do I remove a ring around the inside of my toilet bowl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need to get rid of the ring in my bowl

And I also have build up in the bottom....anyone know how I can get rid of it?

Once it is gone I will clean it regularly and it will stay gone, but when we bought the house it had a nasty build up in it and although I clean it regularly I just have been able to get rid of it....

PS....the ring has been in the bowl for about one week.

The build up has been there 5 years...I scrub it once or twice a week but it hasn't decreased at all in size.
#2 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

For the gunk in the bottom, pouring a can of Coca-Cola into the bowl and letting it set for a while often does the trick. (Which makes it scary to think that it's a beverage!)

For the ring -- not sure. I'm dealing with some residue up around the inside of the rim and I'd love to hear some ideas for getting rid of that as well...

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#3 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM

You can scrub it with a pumice stone (yep, just like the kind you use on your feet)... I was totally skeptical, but it really, really works. Scrapes off all the hard scaley stuff without damaging the potty. Works on ceramic/porceline sinks and bathtubs, too! The only downside-- you do have to stick your hand in the toilet...

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#4 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM

pumice works. Thats my #1 suggestion. cheap too!

If its red I have heard that throwing a vit. c tablet in the bowl overnight and it will cut the iron stain out in the morning.
#5 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure it's not "earth friendly" but I've had great luck with "The Works" brand. The toilet cleaner completely cleaned the gunk from under the rim. The tub cleaner got rid of all hard water build-up.

I only used the toilet cleaner once, and since then the Method brand of cleaners keep it looking great. I'm in the process of moving and needed something that really did the job.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
You can scrub it with a pumice stone (yep, just like the kind you use on your feet)... I was totally skeptical, but it really, really works. Scrapes off all the hard scaley stuff without damaging the potty. Works on ceramic/porceline sinks and bathtubs, too! The only downside-- you do have to stick your hand in the toilet...
: I pumice!

If you poor a bucket of water into the toilet (somewhat quickly, but not fast enough to make a mess) it'll cause the toilet to flush w/o refilling. Then you can clean it with the stone (but keep things wet to prevent scratching). When you're done just flush and the toilet will refill again.
#7 of 27 Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 PM

Pumice, yes, but not the kind used for beauty. Those stones are coated and won't work. Buy the ones in the cleaning area of a store or at your local hardware store. They are awesome for mineral deposits!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#8 of 27 Old 10-20-2008, 12:54 AM

I've had good luck with using Bon Ami (usually used as a sink/kitchen cleaner) in my toilet. Bon Ami is pretty eco-friendly and it works well with our rust stains.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#9 of 27 Old 10-20-2008, 03:01 AM

Yup, pumice stone. The kind I've used was sold in the cleaners section of a grocery store and did wonders to the weird stains that were in the toilet from the previous owner. I had scrubbed for years to no avail until I found one of those and used it and cried tears of joy!

You can also use one of these:
http://www.goearthstone.com/pool_stone.asp
Same thing, I think, just different packaging.
#10 of 27 Old 10-20-2008, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I am going to try Borax first and then...the cola....
#11 of 27 Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM

I'm glad you posted this. I cleaned the toilet tonight and cannot get the part under the lip clean. Thanks for the pumice tip, ladies!

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#12 of 27 Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post
I'm sure it's not "earth friendly" but I've had great luck with "The Works" brand. The toilet cleaner completely cleaned the gunk from under the rim. The tub cleaner got rid of all hard water build-up.

I only used the toilet cleaner once, and since then the Method brand of cleaners keep it looking great. I'm in the process of moving and needed something that really did the job.
Me too, I got this stuff at the Dollar Tree after hearing an old lady say it was the best and OMG it is the best at removing hard water stains, and our toilet was the worst. I would clean it and it still looked disgusting. This dissolved it. I clean it regularly with my baking soda cleaner, but once a month I use The Works. I know it's probably not the best, but my toilet looked so wretched I was ready to try anything and that worked.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#13 of 27 Old 10-20-2008, 11:58 PM

I've used a pumice stone on my toilet bowls and got them really clean. But since I did that, it seems to get dirty alot faster than it used to.

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#14 of 27 Old 10-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CITRIC ACID! CITRIC ACID! CITRIC ACID! CITRIC ACID! : : :

Can you guess my choice for breaking down the crud?!

That's what is in the cola. But, CA, used straight (without the sugar and other soft drink additives), it is dynamite!

My Dad's toliet looked awful. I was using a steak knife as a chisel and hammering hunks of grey build-up (like tarter). I got so tired and having such poor results, I was almost crying.

I poured 1 cup of citric acid in the toilet and let it set overnight. The next day, a light brushing and flush, it looked wonderful!!!

Now, I refuse to be without it in the house! I order mine, in a 50 lb sack, from www.brambleberry.com It is wonderful for all sorts of household cleaning: dishwasher, laundry, bathroom. It is great. :

Yes, the pumice stone works, as well, you CAN wear rubber gloves, no big deal. Once the toilet is clean, try pouring a cup of borax into the bowl once a week and let it sit overnight. With a quick brushing, it helps keep the bowl sparkling clean.
#15 of 27 Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM

I was just going to say Citric Acid! I dissolve a couple of tablespoons of it in warm water and then pour it in the bowl and let it sit overnight. It practically cleans itself after that!

If you can't find actually Citric Acid crystals anywhere near, I hear that lemonade type drink mixes will also work, although obviously you would need more than 2 Tbsp since it's more dilute.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#16 of 27 Old 10-21-2008, 02:15 PM

White vinegar works great on the gunk. I pour a large amount and let it sit overnight. Scrub with a brush in the am and it really breaks it up.
#17 of 27 Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can get a "pumie" brand pumice stone on a stick specifically for toilets. I got mine just at the regualr grocery store. It's worked great for me.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#18 of 27 Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlife View Post
White vinegar works great on the gunk. I pour a large amount and let it sit overnight. Scrub with a brush in the am and it really breaks it up.
I love vinegar, too. Borax worked OK for us, but it wasn't that great.
#19 of 27 Old 10-22-2008, 02:43 PM

I second the citric acid and pumice. I was given some way artificial drink packets (lemon) once, and I just made a very strong solution of that and used it to clean the toilet LOL.

Pumice is just FANTASTIC. I found out about it a few years ago from watching a show on the BBC....these ladies use all sorts of cleaning stuff.

I also use their suggestion of 'brewed tea' to clean windows and degrease a stove since I have some old nasty tea bags here. The tannic acid works well.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#20 of 27 Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 PM

I have a really big problem with rings in my toilet, out in the country, on hard well water. I pour 1/4 gallon of white vinegar and let sit overnight and scrub in the morning. It seriously makes that bowl sparkle and does not harm the septic field!
#21 of 27 Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM

i second the pumice stone, worked wonders for me.
#22 of 27 Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM

I've read through this and I'm gonna try the pumice stone at least, but I have to ask - has anyone ever had a toilet they couldn't get clean because it wasn't dirty, it was worn away around the edge? I had a cleaning lady in who said it was impossible to get the toilet rim any cleaner because it was just worn away there... is that for real?
#23 of 27 Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delly View Post
I've read through this and I'm gonna try the pumice stone at least, but I have to ask - has anyone ever had a toilet they couldn't get clean because it wasn't dirty, it was worn away around the edge? I had a cleaning lady in who said it was impossible to get the toilet rim any cleaner because it was just worn away there... is that for real?
The pumice stone will work for that.
#24 of 27 Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM

pumice scratches surface beware trouble later as surface will have a place for dirt  to grab and stain easier!

I just finished, I started with limeaway to get rid of rust stains, then noticed there was a ring around toilet bowl! I read about using glass cooktop cleaner and polish!

I drained bowl put on weiman cleaner and polish stain disappeared!

wow even toilet flushed better, due to the slippery shinny surface!

I did the outside of toilet and looks like new!!

#25 of 27 Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM

I just finished and looks great now and even flushes better !

I used weiman glass top cleaner

first drain water rub on stain let dry

then rub with paper towel or toilet paper buildin stain is gone and also polished !

looks so good did the outside of toilet presto like new clean and shinny!!!

Try it easy to do!

#26 of 27 Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 PM

I second earthstone!  I bought mine from Fred Meyer and they are called Kitchen stone.  It's a white cube of pumice type stuff, but it is safer and won't scratch like pumice can.  One side has a blue scratcher.

#27 of 27 Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

notes.gif

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page