How do I add humidity to my home without an actual humidifier machine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-01-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We started heating with a pellet stove this year and so far I love it. LOVE it. The only drawback I've noticed thus far is that it's kind of dry in here. I'd rather not run a humidifier, because of the huge energy costs incurred.

I have an ovenware bowl of water sitting on top of the pellet stove, but it doesn't evaporate like it does on a wood stove -- it's not really all that hot on top of the stove -- it seems like most of the heat is blown forward.

Any suggestions for adding humidity to the air in my house?
#2 of 13 Old 11-01-2008, 11:25 PM

This suggestion is kind of out there, but it's what we did last year. We have a laundry shoot in our hallway that goes to the basement. My husband took the hose that blows the hot air from our dryer to the outside of the house and instead redirected it to blow into the laundry shoot. So, all the hot, moist air went in the hallway instead of outside. (don't use dryer sheets if you do this. they contain toxic chemicals)

We also boil water on the stove and save our hot water from showers. We just clog the drain instead of letting the water go down the drain. We drain it once the water is cold or when someone else needs to bathe.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Can you put a pot of water inf front of the stove then?

Just putting multiple bowls of water around the house will add a bit of moisture if the air is dry.
#4 of 13 Old 11-02-2008, 12:48 PM

i use a laundry rack to dry clothes indoors,and i do think it helps a bit with the humidity in the winter
#5 of 13 Old 11-02-2008, 01:52 PM

Plants also help with indoor humidity.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 13 Old 11-02-2008, 03:31 PM

Any water sitting out will add humidity. Cool water is better than warm water. no it doesn't evaporate as fast but warm water can cause mold & bacteria issues.
#7 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 04:20 PM

i boil water on the stove. i love how it makes our first floor all warm and steamy and the windows fog up.
#8 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
This suggestion is kind of out there, but it's what we did last year. We have a laundry shoot in our hallway that goes to the basement. My husband took the hose that blows the hot air from our dryer to the outside of the house and instead redirected it to blow into the laundry shoot. So, all the hot, moist air went in the hallway instead of outside. (don't use dryer sheets if you do this. they contain toxic chemicals)
I asked my DH about doing something similar. He said it was a huge fire hazard.
#9 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We were doing the dryer thing for awhile this fall too. The fire hazzard risk is fairly low if you don't leave things unattended and are sure to have some sort of lint trap on the outgoing air (we were using some pantyhose). We live in the arctic (read: a really cold desert), and the dryer was actually putting too much moisture into our house! I'm tempted to try it one more time, as things have gotten a lot dryer since September. Anyway, there are also these valve things, where you can choose to route your dryer air outside, or you can slide this little do-hickey over and vent the air into your house. Our set up doesn't allow for this sort of thing, but I think it would be the perfect solution as it allows you to control moisture levels in your home (the beginning of the cycle has a heck of a lot more water in it, logically).

We also keep a pot of water on the stove, but I have no experience with pellet stoves (although, I did recently learn that you can burn random organic material in them, like coffee grounds, if it's dry stuff). We also leave small dishes of water on/near heating vents, but obviously this won't work too well if you have crawlers or otherwise curious and floor level children. What about leaving the bathroom door open while you shower?

For greater things are yet to come...

#10 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We heat with a wood stove (with electric forced air heat for the back-up) and we live in a dry area (inland Washington state)

We use an inexpensive vaporizer. I fill it to the top of the water line each morning and let it run all day. It's extra nice when I add some eo or fragrance oil to it. Makes the whole house cozy and wonderfully scented.
#11 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM

GrahamsMom98: I love your siggy!
#12 of 13 Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 PM

Hang your laundry to dry indoors. It adds moisture to the air and saves electricity.
#13 of 13 Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 AM

I just use a humidifier, but I know some folks put a pan or bowl of water near the heat source in the bedrooms. Some of the water will evaporate into the air.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page