Stain Remover - Bar Soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm looking to get a bar soap stain remover, rather than liquid. It's cheaper, and once upon a time it worked well for me.

Are they better than the liquid removers?
Hydrogen Peroxide, Ecover (it has SLS), and Melaleuca (no longer a customer), didn't work for me. Bleach wasn't the greatest either. I haven't used it in 2 years already!

I'm looking at the Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap, or the
Stain Remover Stick from Grassroots. The following is their ingredients: Sodium cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Glycerin, Borax, Eucaluyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Litsea Cubeba Oil, Aqua. Are the ingredinets okay?

Any other bar to consider?

Thank you,
Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 AM

I have no idea, I use a bar of gall soap from Nova Natural for all stains. Works great. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 AM

I use fels naptha and an old fingernail brush to get out stains.

My other stain removal technique is to put items out in the sun. I learned that hear, started doing it with cloth diapers, now I also do it for organic stains on everything.
#4 of 7 Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmom View Post
I use fels naptha and an old fingernail brush to get out stains.
:

Hydrogen peroxide is the best to get out blood stains, though

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#5 of 7 Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 PM

I started using a bar of Fels Naptha about a year ago - just because I had ran out of the normal liquid remover I used. WOW!!!! First of all, I still have the SAME bar because it lasts forever, and secondly - it has removed stains that no other product I've tried has! I lovee Fels Naptha now - I will never use anything else! ::

Plus - it's simple...just wet the stained area, rub the bar on it, and throw it in the wash. Done.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#6 of 7 Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Is any of this true on Wikipedia regarding Fels Naptha bar soap???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fels-Naptha

Quote:
Fels-Naptha is a brand of bar laundry soap used for pre-treating stains on clothing and as a home remedy for exposure to poison ivy and other skin-irritants. Fels-Naptha is manufactured by and is a trademark of the Dial Corporation.
[edit]Use

The soap comes packaged in paper similar to bar body soap and is most often found in the laundry section of a supermarket or grocery store. It is used in the pre-treatment of stains by rubbing the dampened product on a soiled area prior to laundering, and is claimed by the manufacturer to be most effective in removing chocolate, baby formula, perspiration, and make-up.[1]
Fels-Naptha is also used as a home remedy in the treatment of contact dermatitis caused by exposure to poison ivy, poison oak, and other oil-transmitted organic skin-irritants. Washing the skin directly with the soap helps break up the oils that carry the toxin. Grated and added to a wash cycle, about 1/16th a bar's worth the Fels-Naptha per load, will eliminate residual resins that can remain in clothes up to a year according to the manufacturer.[2]
[edit]Health Considerations

While sometimes also sold next to personal-care body soaps it should not be used as an overall body soap or regular laundry additive since it contains Stoddard solvent, a skin and eye irritant.
According to the "Chronic Health Effects" section of the National Institutes of Health's MSDS for Fels Naptha:
Chronic toxicity testing has not been conducted on this product. However, the following effects have been reported on one of the product's components. Stoddard solvent: Repeated or prolonged exposure to high concentrations has resulted in upper respiratory tract irritation, central and peripheral nervous system effects, and possibly hematopoetic, liver and kidney effects.
Stoddard solvent is another name for mineral spirits, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation[3].

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 7 Old 11-07-2008, 03:36 PM

I too use Fels Naptha or Oxiclean soak overnight.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page