Are you Stocking Up or Preparing for an Emergency? Support Thread--part II - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the link to the last thread. The first post in that thread has all the important links in it, so I won't repost them here.

I noticed the old thread was becoming HUGE, and, as a result, not as talkative. So here's a nice fresh thread to clutter up! lol

My mini-update:

I bought a bunch of seeds from Renee's Garden for 50% off! They are this year's seed stock, but I think they should work fine for next year. I got almost everything I wanted. Anyone else know of any good seed sales? I didn't have the energy to do a garden this year, but next year, mwahahaha, watch out!:

I am also forcing myself to start sewing more often. I have such small snatches of time I find myself wanting to just sit & veg. It's not helping me make more longies for ds, start a wool quilt, or do the mountain of sewing I want to do.

Oh, and for squeezing in extra reading (Putting Food by, Gardening when it counts are ones I'm focusing on right now) I carry one of the books in the car & another in my purse. That way, if ds falls asleep in the car, I get some quiet reading time while he naps! No more cranky baby, and I get some precious quiet moments, lol.

What has everyone else been up to?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#2 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 AM

I kind of got in trouble with my last grocery trip so I haven't added to our storage in two weeks. I'm kind of debating what to do, too. It would really help our finances if I didn't go grocery shopping for a while and we just lived off our storage. but what happens if THE END COMES after we've eaten all our stock? Argh!!

DH told me tonight he thinks I should just aim for a 3-month supply. Which is fine, and I'll get there, but I was determined to do a year supply. He thinks there's not enough room in our apartment. I guess we'll see! If nothing else, it'll force me to get creative.

Oh, and I stocked up on 4-5 bags of on-sale Halloween candy on Nov 1. It's going into our 72 hour kits (which I bought a big plastic tub for too).

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#3 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What is everyone doing about water?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Water is tough, isn't it? We're on city water and it's never been a problem even when we had multiple-day power outages. But I try to keep at least a 3-day supply on hand. We have two 55-gallon rain barrels that are always full in the summer, but now that it's below freezing I had to drain them. I bought some 5-gallon water jugs from a camping store and keep them filled. And if worst came to worst, we have a Travel Berkey water filter that could be used to filter water from the lake a couple of blocks away. A friend of mine recently went on a canoe trip and highly recommended the Steri-Pen for treating smaller amounts of drinking water, so I'm going to look into that, too. It uses UV light to kill all the nasties.
#5 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM

We're putting in a handpump for water. One of the advantages to living in the country and having a pretty darn shallow well(~50 feet), is that you can pump it out by hand!!

Our new big project around here is getting goats. I am SO excited!! I can't qutie believe that I've talked my dad and husband into this, but I am just ecstatic!! I've wanted goats for years and years, and now finally, we're going to get them! As such, they (DH & my dad) are out working on our nice new goat-proof (we hope) fence as I type It'll be an electric fence, 42" tall with 4 wires (I'm thinking 9", 10", 11", 12" apart respectively).
#6 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Inherited a Big Berkey and we have near access to a river for long, long term. I keep about 50 gallons that is rotated out (I go through about 2 gallons a week at work). I refill the bottles from our filtered tap water and have never had a problem keeping tap water for 6 months. Any longer and it should probably be treated with a couple drops of bleach. We also have a 50 gallon water heater and we have tapped that to use for flushing and washing before. A few winters ago we had a water main bust and was without water for several days. Boy was that a pain in the butt.
#7 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Can I join in?

With everything getting worse and worse we're begining to stock better.

I'm in an apartment, it's a bit odd in that my laundry area is my personal washer and dryer (not pay) and in a hallway that I share with one other family/tenent. Luckily enough she is a very good friend of mine, we've known each other for coming up on 10+ years...anyway we have this shared hallway that no one else has access to so we're going to talk to our landlord about putting some shelves up on one end and both of us stocking up. We'd write our initals or something on the bottom to keep stuff semi-seperate, but I figure when TSHTF we'll just share what we can.

We'll mostly be stocking up on canned food stuffs. We don't have a garden plot, but I bet if it gets too bad our LL would let us dig up a part of her yard, we can't do the yard on my side because they walk horses there.

Both our DHs work in factory/manufacturing type jobs so we're already feeling the pinch.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#8 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM

I've noticed a lot of threads like this lately, and posted a suggestion for a Preparedness forum in Questions & Suggestions.

I put together a list of preparedness/stockpiling threads that might be useful too.

If you think a preparedness forum might be a good idea, or would like to discuss the idea, or would just like to see the list I posted, here is the thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=12588573
#9 of 48 Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM

I'm not too sure about water. We have really limited space, so I'm doing enough for our BOBs and then I think i'm just going to get some kind of purifier.

I'm really upset with my lack of space. I've converted our one and only hall closet into a pantry. The pantry we have is uber small and doesn't even fit a regular amount of food in.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#10 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 AM

We have one of the Foxfire books which teaches a lot about living with minimal materials.

I'd like to get some more books on safe plants to eat. Right now we're in the process of moving 900 miles so I'm clearing out our food so we don't have to move it. As soon as we get to where we are going I will start to stock again.

I saw some handy crank flashlights at Home Depot. It was a set of 4 for $10. I wanted to buy them but DH said no.

I'm not huge on being super stocked but I do need to get some strike anywhere wooden matches.

How exactly do you collect rain water to make it drinking water?
#11 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM

subbing to this one too!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#12 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM

We bought a copy of this book after a co-worker lent one to my husband and he fell in love with it Its a really good book with lots and lots and lots of info and really good drawings (which, IMO are much nicer than actual photos which don't usually show you everything you need to).

I would think you could collect rain water pretty easy via a gutter just running into a big barrel. Though, to use it for drinking you'd have to filter and/or boil it first (depending on what kind of a filter you ran it through).
#13 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Subbing.

We've been prepping for a while. Last check we had about 4 months of supplies. We're probably down to 3 months.

Water: This could potentially be a big problem. We have a great well, it has lots of clean water. It's 547 feet deep. We need electricity to get the water up. We have a generator that can run the pump. But we may not always have gas for it and it could break down. We got a Big Berkey. We tried it out for a week and then put it up for real emergencies. We have about 2 weeks of drinking water stored and extra water for flushing.

I need to practice my whole grain breadmaking.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#14 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 PM

What are we stocking up for? A long power outage or a major loss of income? Or just a general stock pile?

I have nothing so far! Well I have plenty of bath and body products,but those won't help much in most emergencies! lol
#15 of 48 Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 PM

I live in the suburbs, but I just got a bunch of quail to raise for eggs(and meat if necessary). They're small, quiet, and fast growing.
#16 of 48 Old 11-18-2008, 02:11 AM

I would love to have some chickens for eggs. Are quail eggs just like chicken eggs? Are the quail easier to raise?

Are any of you preparing your children for a time when we can't be wasteful? Of course I always try not to waste but my kids are really wasteful, especially when it comes to food. They get so picky and demanding about what exactly they want to eat and often never eat it all, even in a small portion. So for the next snack 10 minutes later they want something different.

It bothers me to think I might have to deal with this in a time when we really can't waste food.
#17 of 48 Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM

Carrie,

The waste issue is a big one for me. DS is 3 and is expressing himself by not eating what's for dinner. We're putting very little on his plate and giving him an incentive for finishing (miniature candy bar). I keep telling myself that someday he'll come around.

Beyond that, we try to model our behavior ourselves and try not to waste anything (not even close to perfectly) and we do discuss it with DS.

To answer another question, we are stocking up for a power outage, job loss, illness, big winter storm (most likely) or any other disruption you can think of.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#18 of 48 Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM

I saw some handy crank flashlights at Home Depot. It was a set of 4 for $10. I wanted to buy them but DH said no>>>>

ohh those sound good, I may have to get some.

About 2 weeks ago I went to the grocery store and spent about $350 on food, lots of canned, lots of stuff for the freezer. each week when I go to the grocery store I buy some extras. I really want to stock up on pantry stuff rather than freezer stuff. Although I am doing both.

How do you stock up on water? Ive heard the containers break? I do have a extra fridge in our basement that is pluged in , I use the freezer mainly (we also have a chest freezer) I keep my flour, and bread in the fridge part but I guess I could keep water. would it break over time if I keep it in a fridge?
]
im not talking tons, maybe 4 gallons.

my main reasons for doing all this is just in case we dont have any money. the way things are going, me getting my hours cut like crazy at work, who knows if we will have money in 2 months...
#19 of 48 Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Holy cow, I am so glad I started storing water! I actually need it right now.

I only started about a month ago, and have a little over 25 gallons. Not much, I know, but get this. I got home tonight and turned on the bathroom faucet, only to realize that there is just a very thin stream coming out. My well pump isn't working at all and DH is on his way home from work to see if he can play around with it. But at least I am not screwed (at least temporarily) because I can use the water I stored downstairs for cooking, hand washing, and toilet flushing.

Anyway, I have been saving all the plastic containers I can get my hands on. We usually buy cranberry-pomegranate juice from BJs and I keep those for water storage, glass vodka bottles (the handle kind) too.
#20 of 48 Old 11-20-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
IAre any of you preparing your children for a time when we can't be wasteful? Of course I always try not to waste but my kids are really wasteful, especially when it comes to food. They get so picky and demanding about what exactly they want to eat and often never eat it all, even in a small portion. So for the next snack 10 minutes later they want something different.

It bothers me to think I might have to deal with this in a time when we really can't waste food.
I have a 28mos old and I nanny for a 4 year old. I give them very small portions. The rule is, "If you eat what you have, and want something else or more of something, I will always give you more food. But you have to eat what you have first". They also know once they're done, I'm not serving food again for at least an hour (they're little, so, we usually have a meal or snack every 1.5-2 hours).

They get it. It might mean slightly more work for me (getting up to serve 4 times for one snack), but, it's worth it to me to teach them not to be wasteful.
#21 of 48 Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM

We stock 12 gallons of H20 and I am planning on adding a case or two of bottles when I find a great deal on them. We do not live in an area prone to envirnomental diaster, so I stock for economic reasons, etc. If there was a massive emergency, we'd be OK to a week or so. I figure that in town, we'd have water back and running within days.

Also, fyi, you can get BPA free plastic jugs for storage from Earthfare, Whole foods and the like.

Grace Comes.

#22 of 48 Old 11-22-2008, 01:02 AM

My new freezer is STOCKED- I bought a bulk meat deal from the local butcher, added some more stuff when I bought in large quantity at Costco- broke it apart and sealed them..

Lately I found probably a dozen packages of 3-4 turkey legs on clearance at my local grocery stores- I guess some people only like turkey breasts for Thanksgiving? Anyway, they were 3-4 in a package at about $3.50 a package, and then 30% off! I bought pretty much all of them that I found and vacuum sealed them.

Freezer is FULL.
#23 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
oops I just posted in the old thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen http://www.efoodsdirect.com . My dh heard about them and wanted to order, but shipping is so much and I don't like the food options so we want to just find things locally. I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#24 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Hi everyone!

I was participating a bunch in the old thread but I haven't stopped by here yet!

I put up 14 quarts of home canned applesauce a couple weeks ago. My local store had veg fed natural while chickens on sale for $1.59 per lb this weekend (normally $2.09) so I bought 5 and put them in the freezer. I will need another freezer here soon...the one we bought off craig's list a few months ago is nearly full now!:
We also bought a hand crank flashlight with a built in cell phone charger for $10! It works AWESOME! We bought ours locally, but you can get them online here http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/i...a29ca460afb9bd

I have been learning to cook from scratch more and more. I am trying to use every last bit of food, and also trying to conserve while I am cooking. Like I am pretending that food is already scarce...does that make sense??

I really want to get some large stores of rice and beans. We also need to buy more 5 gallon jugs for our water cooler. I would like to have at least 25 gallons at all times and we can rotate through...right now we only have 2 containers which is 10 gallons.

We still have not packed BOB's

It is really nice to have so much food on hand...I am no longer a slave to the grocery store
#25 of 48 Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
It is really nice to have so much food on hand...I am no longer a slave to the grocery store
ITA! I have been getting into couponing and with this, a big frontier order now and again, and my stockpile, I only have to shop for stuff when I either
a. wanna
or b. the deal is just too good to pass up.

That feels good.

All I need weekly is my local eggs and raw milk.
Give Thanks!

Grace Comes.

#26 of 48 Old 11-28-2008, 11:31 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#27 of 48 Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 AM

i'm mostly stocking up on canned food and drygoods like beans and rice

i do have about 3 gallons of water and add to it as i empty milk jugs and the like

i'm just preparing for minor "emergencys" the electricity going out for a few days with a storm or the like although i'll pack in as much as i can fit it'd be great to have a head stasrt if ths really htf but thats not my goal
#28 of 48 Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I would love to have some chickens for eggs. Are quail eggs just like chicken eggs? Are the quail easier to raise?

Are any of you preparing your children for a time when we can't be wasteful? Of course I always try not to waste but my kids are really wasteful, especially when it comes to food. They get so picky and demanding about what exactly they want to eat and often never eat it all, even in a small portion. So for the next snack 10 minutes later they want something different.

These are japanese quail. The eggs are smaller(about 3-5 quail eggs to 1 chicken egg) but supposedly more nutritious. They grow faster, lay eggs sooner, and take less feed to convert to eggs than chickens. And their noises are not as loud, so they're easier to raise in the suburbs/urbs. They can be raised inside if you like, although they have a higher ammonia percentage in their pee so it could be more smelly. We've only noticed the smell yesterday, and that was after 4 days with 17 birds. They're still young birds, so I haven't got them in separate cages yet. And if you need/want, the birds themselves are also good eating. Although if it were a true EOTW kind of emergency, I'd rather keep a constant supply of eggs rather then the short term one time meal of birds. They're pretty prolific layers too. You can get a big flock pretty quickly if you incubate some of your eggs. I'm trying to figure out some plants to plant to feed them so I'm not dependent on buying feed, although I think they also eat bugs and stuff.

On the waste thing, I have a 4yo that's driving me crazy about that. I give her a little bit, she finishes that and wants more, so then I give her more and she won't finish that part. I've been keeping my meal portions down, and just finish her bits off.(unless it's soggy cereal!)

We've lost our power for about 10 days during one hurricane, so I'm hesitant to use a freezer as a storage device. People had to cook all their meat within a day or two. It made for great neighborhood relations, but some of the older people who stocked up on frozen foods were kind of SOL. Especially since they had no way of heating up their frozen food meals(microwavable!). They didn't think it through very well.

You could also segregate your water storage, plastic bottled water for washing, glass for drinking/cooking. If you know the emergency is coming(like for storms)clean trash bins work for water storage. We have one outside to collect rain water. I've been collecting wine bottles for my dad, but they're fine for water storage if a little small for large quantities. I also have a hikers water filter which we could use on the rain water if needed. Milk jugs are not good for long term storage, they're designed to degrade after a while. I think the recommendation was a gallon per person per day.

If you want to get an idea on what to prepare for ... http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/
They can induce fear about almost everything!
#29 of 48 Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 PM

In the first post of this thread there is a link to the original thread. I thought that it would be good to resurrect this continuation thread and further discuss what we are doing. I'm seeing some misinformation out there that these threads might help to dispel.

So, what have you done recently to work on your stock piles?

Has your economic situation changed to cause you to make adjustments?

What are prices looking like in your area? Anything new you are doing?

Let's share again.
#30 of 48 Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 PM

First, thanks to all who have shared here. It really keeps me motivated and provides me with lots more ideas.

I bought chicks in October and am looking forward to eggs in a month or two. They are a lot quieter than I thought they'd be which is good here in suburbia. The 7 I have go through a lot of feed so I'm going to have to get better at supplementing with produce scraps and letting them out to free range more often.

DH's employer has been looking to sell off his division for 6 months or more. No buyer yet but he now has to take 2 weeks off without pay. Those will be painful weeks. At least we'll eat. Up until now we had been paying down our second mortgage hot and heavy (used it to replace our A/C which died). Hope we can keep up that trend.

I buy a lot less of the special things we used to eat and we're eating more meatless meals due to higher prices. My grocery had a "case sale" last week and I picked up 12 jars of peanut butter for just over $16.

I joined a food co-op last summer and can occasionally get cases of produce for canning. I have tomatoes on the counter waiting for me to make time tomorrow. I'm having a harder time finding canning jars at yard sales/thrift stores. They used to be everywhere! Not sure if more people are keeping them just in case or what. I broke down and bought 2 dozen last night at WalMart, though I don't like to shop there. It seems the prices were higher on those as well and it killed me to spend the $20.

I did find 6 six gallon glass carboys used for making wine on Craigslist. They now hold 36 gallons of water. I'd like to get a couple of rain barrels for the garden.

hh2.gif  Help make a family's holiday a little brighter joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page